Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Elk - I need a lucky break

I'm subscribing. Good luck fin this is getting good it's the kind of story that you sit at home next to a warm fire and read. Be careful though good stories need happy endings. In all seriousness I wish we had just a little bit of that weather here in southern idaho.

you have alot of moisture heading your way in a day or two,,,dumped here in oregon last nite heavy.

Had me scared until I checked the SNOTEL this morning where our cabin is. Luckily must not have blown over to SE Oregon. Able to get most of the snow walls up around it last weekend, but didn't get the rest hung over the windows on the North side where the storms come from.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but things have been frantic since yesterday.

While on my way into hunt a different area that looked to have less snow and certainly less drifts, I ran into a caravan of trucks all chained up. The old boy in the lead asked me if I needed a psychiatrist if I was really intent on hunting today. Told him my wife has long been worried about my mental condition.

He asked where I was going. I told him I was going hunting and in the process, hoped to find a different way into my camp and get it pulled out. He asked where it was and I told him. He stated that they had just busted a trail past my camp, but had to turn around about a half mile past my camp, as even with three fully chained rigs, they did not think they could make it any further.

Not sure if I was hearing correctly, I asked him if the tent was still standing. He told me that it looked like a grizzly has knocked it down, but that it looked like a pretty good camp, besides that. We all laughed. I could have hugged the guy. He told me the trail to take and given they had just busted through everything on the way up and back down, he figured I could get up there and get out before the next weather comes, supposedly sometime tomorrow.

With that, we were off. It required chains on all four. Too bad none of the ad agencies of those domestic truck makers will talk to me, as the footage of what the truck was put through could make its own half hour sizzle reel.

We got to camp at about 3:30. We sorted through the basics and headed further up the ridge to hunt for the evening. I followed their trail further up the ridge, but like the guy stated, they didn't get much further. Just too much snow on top of frozen ice. So, I parked where they had turned around and started up to the ridge.

There was a lot of snow. Every bit of twenty inches. It took about an hour to reach the ridge, but we were there at prime time. I hoofed it over to the north side where I could see a big herd of elk on the private down below. Then, I spotted three bulls right below where we had gotten out friendly assist from the game warden. Unfortunately, that would be two miles down the ridge road that was now snowed shut, then down off the ridge a good distance. No way I could make it there in this light. Maybe by shooting light the next morning.

Tough sledding in this soft slippery snow. But, I slogged along, hoping to spot an elk, or fresh tracks crossing one of the finger ridges going off this main ridge. Nothing. I glassed the big sage flats down below. Again, nothing.

With a few minutes of light left, I figured I would turn on my phone, hoping to have some coverage on the north side of the mountain. Had a ton of voice mails from people who were offering help. Thanks a ton to so many who were willing to drop what they were doing to come and help.

Seeing how much snow was up here, it made hunting much area very difficult. And, I suspect the elk were looking for one of the many other ridges that were covered with less snow and sprouting much more feed. Given that, I decided I would dedicate Thursday to getting camp pulled and sorting gear, charging batteries, cleaning cameras, etc. If I could get it done in time, I would hunt Thursday evening and allow me to hunt Friday and Saturday without the nagging concern of how I would retrieve a camp, thousands of dollars worth of gear, and the stuff I needed for the remaining episodes of this year.

With that, we headed back down the tent, built the mother of all fires and started to prepare stuff for morning transport. Some warmed up antelope lasagna and a hot fire, and I was out for the night. Nothing was going to keep me from making up for the sleep I had lost the previous night while trying to sleep in the truck.

No bull, but a plan that would give me ability to hunt hard the last few days, and to give the camera guy the chance to get his gear back to a semblance of utility and charge enough batteries for a day of hunting.

A few pics of the evening hunt and the state of camp when we arrived.

The truck sitting in an area that actually was passable.
IMG_1193.JPG

The snow made things rather comfy in the tent. Good insulation.
IMG_1194.JPG

Shoveling off the steps.
IMG_1200.JPG

Working my way up the ridge from the truck.
IMG_1208.JPG

On the ridge. The snow covered hills behind me held a big herd of elk, but they are out of reach to us self-guided folks.
IMG_1220.JPG

An evening sunset on top of the ridge.
IMG_1221.JPG

Some of you are probably wondering why I am posting at 5PM, rather than hunting. Well, we got up, made a quick breakfast of instant oatmeal, and were pulling and packing camp by 8:00AM. The truck thermometer said 5F. I believe it was that cold. I went for a quick look of any elk that might have drifted to the ridges visible from camp. Nope. Not even any tracks.

We had camp loaded and ready by 10:30AM. It was one hell of a drive to cover 15 miles of two track going out the way that old boy had shown me. Then, another 17 miles on the country road that was a mess of drifts and melted slop on the south facing slopes. We got here to Casper at 3:20PM.

Now posting this from a motel. Going to base things from here for the rest of the hunt. Longer drive, for sure, but the camera gear is getting dried out, batteries charged, and camp is locked and secured in the trailer. No chance to get back out there before dark and make a hunt of it. Not feel too well after the ordeal of the last couple days, so using this evening to recharge my own batteries.

Will be on the hill by daylight tomorrow morning. The wind was blowing pretty good today and supposed to pick up more tomorrow, with some snow. Not sure how accurate these forecasts are. Not that it matters, as I am going hunting. Just nice to have some insight of the expected weather, so to build that into the plan for the coming day's hunt.

The footage of the two creek crossings is epic. Will surely make the final cut. The trailer only had a few dents and bumps. I felt it was pretty good, given the rocks, ruts, and washouts I drug it through today.

There were some good elk tracks crossing some of the ridges I passed on the way out. I was marking them on the GPS and will be on some of those ridges come morning.

The camera guy waded one creek crossing to film me crossing it. I asked him to set up my digital and take pics of me crossing. I had it set on self-timer, to take ten pics in a row, all a half second apart.

Thought you would like some of these pics from the second creek crossing. Frozen solid, but thankfully a pretty hard bottom.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

So, I am getting cleaned and drying some clothes. Have a plan for morning. Time will tell how good it works. Packing some lunch, as I plan to be there for the entire day, coming out late and getting back here even later.

Thanks for all the support and good wishes. I have a good feeling about the next couple days.

Sounds like an epic adventure BigFin, keep at'em and be safe!

pretty impressive with your nissan,,,you should see if nissan will step up as a show sponser or at least use some of your footage in their ads,,,,any body at dodge should be callin ya to get you in a dodge hemi pickup{my preference}good thing you were able to get to your camp,,,should be a awesome show.

If nothing else...this is definitely an adventure. That dang Wyoming wind ;) . Good luck fin. I guess if it's get's later I will bring up all the 9th inning, walk off, baseball talk like on the Montana "drop hunt"...I do believe that was the lucky charm last time!

Figured I would check one last weather forecast before cashing in for bed. Almost wish I hadn't.

But, I got some good advice from a Hunt Talker who hunted this unit under similar conditions. Would love to shoot a bull with his advice.

A high wind watch remains in effect from 6 am MDT Friday through Friday afternoon.

* Summary and timing... after a lull in the winds overnight... high winds may return Friday morning and continue through Friday afternoon.

* Wind... 35 to 45 mph winds with gust to near 60 mph are possible Friday.

You are one crazy guy as is your camera guy. I know everybody tells you to be safe, but take it from one of the old pharts. IS NOT worth it if somebody gets hurt in that weather. Take your time and don't work too fast in those conditions. You get one down then what?
Sorry for the rant, but been there in younger years, but only on horseback.

Rippin' on the guy's vehicle........lucky he made it out and is safe, AND the truck/trailer is not still on that ridge. That drive looks like it would get the butt a puckerin! Good luck BigFin

Good luck and thanks for the story. With all the adverse conditions and all your going through I sure hope a big'n is in your future. I would love to be there with you.

Back