Wyoming elk hunt

Your question is very open ended. Some people want a high alpine hunt. Some people want a low elevation high desert hunt. Some want to chance at a "book" bull, some want to hunt in a unit w just a handfull of other hunters. There's good bulls in most units. But just look at the pt system & you'll see units that require 6-8 pts. These are the trophy units published in all outdoor mags & websites.

Ok thanks for the response! I am looking for units that require a lot of points to get a tag. A hunt that has good odds of success with not a lot of other hunters. I have 2 points but don't mind waiting.

Ok thanks for the response! I am looking for units that require a lot of points to get a tag. A hunt that has good odds of success with not a lot of other hunters. I have 2 points but don't mind waiting.

You are kidding aren't you? If you have ever hunted elk you should know that hunting elk can be a real crap shoot regardless of being in the best unit the state has to offer. Elk move around a lot and may be in one drainage for a day or two and then ten miles from there the next. If you only have 2PPs and want a unit that takes a lot of PPs you are probably talking a wait of 7 or more years and that may be on the low side since you're 7PPs below max for the 2015 draw.

You are kidding aren't you? If you have ever hunted elk you should know that hunting elk can be a real crap shoot regardless of being in the best unit the state has to offer. Elk move around a lot and may be in one drainage for a day or two and then ten miles from there the next. If you only have 2PPs and want a unit that takes a lot of PPs you are probably talking a wait of 7 or more years and that may be on the low side since you're 7PPs below max for the 2015 draw.

That's not especially true, yes elk move around but there are units that are better than others. I know I don't have a lot of points but was curious if anyone was willing to talk about good units. I can pay a application service so it's not a big deal.

I prefer a hunt were are very few tags. I hate hearing ATVs zooming up every drainage and seeing orange vests on every ridge. I like seeing a lot of animals and am happy with a mature animal even if average horns/antlers. I do not mind hiring a guide if gets me away from the crowds or gets me into wilderness.

My brother prefers going after the largest animals even if go days without seeing anything. He likes public land.

His concept of a good WY elk unit would be a poor unit for me and vice versa. I draw a lot more tags and hunt a lot more than he does. We are both happy with our application strategy. We both are willing to backpack and eat dehydrated meals for days on ends. Not even hunter likes that approach.

You can pay an application service but they are not able to guess your preferences and might apply for hunts you would not want based on your idea of a good hunt.

I prefer a hunt were are very few tags. I hate hearing ATVs zooming up every drainage and seeing orange vests on every ridge. I like seeing a lot of animals and am happy with a mature animal even if average horns/antlers. I do not mind hiring a guide if gets me away from the crowds or gets me into wilderness.

My brother prefers going after the largest animals even if go days without seeing anything. He likes public land.

His concept of a good WY elk unit would be a poor unit for me and vice versa. I draw a lot more tags and hunt a lot more than he does. We are both happy with our application strategy. We both are willing to backpack and eat dehydrated meals for days on ends. Not even hunter likes that approach.

You can pay an application service but they are not able to guess your preferences and might apply for hunts you would not want based on your idea of a good hunt.
Thank you for your comments. It is very true what you say about preferences. I just was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best unit to apply for. I need a bout 9 points to draw what I consider a good unit. Good number of large bulls and low hunter numbers with high success rates.

Thank you for your comments. It is very true what you say about preferences. I just was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best unit to apply for. I need a bout 9 points to draw what I consider a good unit. Good number of large bulls and low hunter numbers with high success rates.

You seem to be forgetting that when you get up to 9PPs in seven years to draw what you think will be a good unit the max pool for the good units will then be 16PPs! I really think you need to sit back and think about what you really want to do because it doesn't sound realistic to me.

You seem to be forgetting that when you get up to 9PPs in seven years to draw what you think will be a good unit the max pool for the good units will then be 16PPs! I really think you need to sit back and think about what you really want to do because it doesn't sound realistic to me.

I'm sorry I'm confused. Did the point system in wyoming just start 7 years ago? Because the highest points in 2013 in any unit was 8, and they all got tags except for one unit. So the next year all those with 8 points that had 7 points the year before will get drawn. So you should draw by the time you get to 8 points or so because those that have 8 points now won't have 16 points because they got their tag. Make sense?

I'm sorry I'm confused. Did the point system in wyoming just start 7 years ago? Because the highest points in 2013 in any unit was 8, and they all got tags except for one unit. So the next year all those with 8 points that had 7 points the year before will get drawn. So you should draw by the time you get to 8 points or so because those that have 8 points now won't have 16 points because they got their tag. Make sense?

If only it was that simple :(

The number of people with 7 points probably far outweighs the number of tags available for a good unit, so it may take some of them 9 or 10 points by the time they draw. Then you need to get through the people one point behind them and may be looking at 11 or 12 points to draw the tag.

This may not be the case for a particular unit you are looking at but it seems to be happening to almost all good units with a preference point system in place. Look at Colorado, for example.

Good luck, I hope you build the points and draw the tag of your dreams!! In the meantime get out and hunt some other states so that when you do, you'll be prepared to take advantage of it!

Yep, if it was that simple. I apply for a unit each year. All 3 non-resident tags took 8 points last year and 26 people with 8 points had it as a first choice At that rate it'll be another 8 years til they get to the people with 7 points and then we'll all have 7+8= 15 points. I'll give in way before then and hunt an easier unit to draw.

good luck to all
the dog

Yep, if it was that simple. I apply for a unit each year. All 3 non-resident tags took 8 points last year and 26 people with 8 points had it as a first choice At that rate it'll be another 8 years til they get to the people with 7 points and then we'll all have 7+8= 15 points. I'll give in way before then and hunt an easier unit to draw.

good luck to all
the dog

Correct. And that example is not counting the thousands more, like my son, who are just buying points until some year when their schedule allows them to burn these max points. At which time they will jump into the application pile and further extend the point creep problem. Point creep will be in full force in Wyoming for those units non-residents hold in high demand.

The PP system for NRs in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope started 9 years ago and there will be a ton of people in the 2015 draw for the good units with 9PPs that they started buying when the system started. Add in all the other things stated by the members and you have a long time before you are even close to drawing a top unit tag unless you would happen to get lucky in the random draw when they give you a second chance at that tag when no PPs are used.

You're an a-hole. Plain and simple.

To the OP,

I've never hunted WYO but I'm banking points as well. I'm curious to see what other suggest.

Just come right out and ask what units guys would recommend. You might find suggestions for a few units that, with a little bit of boot leather, can be drawn for less than max points.

Back