Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming elk hunt

This thread is just another example of why I've decided to not get caught up in this game. 3-5 points, maybe 6-7 depending on the tag, is about all you'll see out of me.

Plenty of good hunts to be had with 1-2 points or less. Will I be getting cracks at 350" bulls every year? Heck no. Do I care? Also no.

^^^^^ This! I don't understand the philosophy of waiting 8-10 years to go on a hunt, when you can have a similar hunt with far fewer points as long as you do the proper research and work. You only have to look at Fresh Tracks and the Western Hunter to realize that you can get some really great animals in areas that require far fewer points. Just my opinion, but I'm not patient enough to wait that long.

Chuck

This thread is just another example of why I've decided to not get caught up in this game. 3-5 points, maybe 6-7 depending on the tag, is about all you'll see out of me.

Plenty of good hunts to be had with 1-2 points or less. Will I be getting cracks at 350" bulls every year? Heck no. Do I care? Also no.

Just come right out and ask what units guys would recommend. You might find suggestions for a few units that, with a little bit of boot leather, can be drawn for less than max points.

Ok, what are the top 3 units in wyoming in your opinion? Anyone else want to chime in? :eek:

The PP system for NRs in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope started 9 years ago and there will be a ton of people in the 2015 draw for the good units with 9PPs that they started buying when the system started. Add in all the other things stated by the members and you have a long time before you are even close to drawing a top unit tag unless you would happen to get lucky in the random draw when they give you a second chance at that tag when no PPs are used.

I guess I will have to wait and ask this question in 10 years. :W: I really cant afford a tag service like i said earlier in this thread, i was just spouting off because of frustration. i felt like i asked for a treasure map, i just wanted to start a conversation and share ideas. if some one asked the same question about montana i would tell them. i hunt montana for everything and hardly have enough time, so I want quality opportunity. That's what I like about special draw areas that are managed for trophy quàlity and not over run by hunters. I will probably never have my own ranch unless I win the lotto, I have 3 boys with disabilities and I'm trying to get the best treatment I can for them. I feel guilty just spending money on a tag but hunting keeps me sane. One day I would like to go on a guided hunt, I guess for the access and not having to worry about other hunters. But in the meantime I try to hone my skill in the general tag areas and put in for special draw within driving distance. Thank you to everyone on this page, I met and hunted with a real great guy on this page. And I appreciate it.

The PP system for NRs in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope started 9 years ago and there will be a ton of people in the 2015 draw for the good units with 9PPs that they started buying when the system started. Add in all the other things stated by the members and you have a long time before you are even close to drawing a top unit tag unless you would happen to get lucky in the random draw when they give you a second chance at that tag when no PPs are used.

I guess I will have to wait and ask this question in 10 years. :W: I really cant afford a tag service like i said earlier in this thread, i was just spouting off because of frustration. i felt like i asked for a treasure map, i just wanted to start a conversation and share ideas. if some one asked the same question about montana i would tell them. i hunt montana for everything and hardly have enough time, so I want quality opportunity. That's what I like about special draw areas that are managed for trophy quàlity and not over run by hunters. I will probably never have my own ranch unless I win the lotto, I have 3 boys with disabilities and I'm trying to get the best treatment I can for them. I feel guilty just spending money on a tag but hunting keeps me sane. One day I would like to go on a guided hunt, I guess for the access and not having to worry about other hunters. But in the meantime I try to hone my skill in the general tag areas and put in for special draw within driving distance. Thank you to everyone on this page, I met and hunted with a real great guy on this page. And I appreciate it.

My first question would be the amount of time you have to invest in your hunt??? That is I think the most important one you will have to answer.

My first question would be the amount of time you have to invest in your hunt??? That is I think the most important one you will have to answer.

Very true. With enough time anything is possible, I only have about a week at the most. But a couple days off here and there too.

Very true. With enough time anything is possible, I only have about a week at the most. But a couple days off here and there too.

OK so look at a calendar and the elk regulations and see what will match for your times to hunt. Most bull or any elk tags have opening dates in September or October but there are some later but make sure to read all the info about the areas. Match what you believe are your best dates to be able to hunt to the areas and hunt opening dates. Note most areas open on the same day of the month every year, so if you have limited time a Thursday start date could be???

The best units for your points is any general unit!!!Do you want to hunt now or wait 10 years??I've seen some pretty big bulls on a general Wy tag.None of which I would pass up,but you have to weed thru smaller ones first.I'd rather hunt Wy every 2 years then every 10

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back