Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming elk 47, 48, 49?

Hunter&Huntress

With the draw coming up soon I have been looking over places to try and draw. I am looking for something with a high draw result and have narrowed it down to 47, 48, or 49. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any of these units. I know they all indicate difficult public access but I am taking Randy's advice on drawing something with a little more challenges for the opportunity to hunt. Do these Units have elk on public lands? I am planning on hunting with bow and rifle.

Of the three you're looking at, the only one that has a decent amount of accessibe public land that holds elk is 47. You also have the best shot at drawing a type 1 or 2 tag there compared to the other two units where the majority of elk by far are on the private ranches that want an arm and a leg for access..

Found this thread in a search for elk unit 47. My buddy and I are from WI, and drew Type 1 tags for unit 47. When we found out we drew, we were SUPER pumped. However, it seems access may be limited, or the elk are mainly on private. We are both hardcore DIY whitetail guys in WI, but this will be our first time elk hunting (really, first time out of the midwestern states), so it doesn't sound unheard of that most of the game is on private land.

Since it's our first time elk hunting, our standards were going to be low (just looking for a legal bull, or even a cow if the experience got us pumped up in the moment). Since we drew a Type 1 tag, our original plan was to purchase the archery upgrade and try bow hunting the rut. Then, if unsuccessful, come back for the rifle season. When we drew the tag, our thoughts were that we would go "all in" (in terms of using all the vacation we had for the year) on this hunt. However, after doing some research, that might not be the best plan...

Not looking for any specific spots or anything, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

And this is what I love about forums and why I stayed off them for the last 10 years...everyone is always quick to criticize and negative, vs being helpful and positive. :rolleyes: With all the hype about Hunttalk, I was hoping it would have been different.

Honestly, I was trying to get to the 10 post minimum so it would allow me to start a new thread lol 🤷‍♂️

And this is what I love about forums and why I stayed off them for the last 10 years...everyone is always quick to criticize and negative, vs being helpful and positive. :rolleyes: With all the hype about Hunttalk, I was hoping it would have been different.

Honestly, I was trying to get to the 10 post minimum so it would allow me to start a new thread lol 🤷‍♂️
To be fair, there is probably a better way to start out on a forum than just blasting a “help need info” shotgun in your first couple posts

I wouldn’t ordinarily bother to respond, but this is lame. Put 10 posts in some of the pics threads and/or contribute answers to some of the other threads folks have posted asking questions. You know, contribute something useful in your first 10 posts. Would garner a lot more goodwill than resurrecting 10 ancient threads for self-serving purposes. 🙄

We do get tired of the drive-by takers who come to get info but never bother to give anything back to the community. Be different! 😁 You’ll also probably get much better response if you don’t ask new questions in an old thread. A lot of us look at the date of the OP and skip the rest, assuming someone did just what you’ve done.

Welcome to HT and good luck on your hunt.

My advice:

1) stop being a defensive schmuck when someone calls you on posting the same damned message over and over

2) how much time to spend is up to you. Want to kill an elk or make excuses?

3) I’ve never regretted taking more time to hunt. I have regretted not taking enough time to hunt.

4) the tag is yours, non refundable. You’re in it to win it. Stay pumped and go hardcore. 47 is a neat area.

5) Get damned familiar with OnX or something similar. You’ll need it.

I wouldn’t ordinarily bother to respond, but this is lame. Put 10 posts in some of the pics threads and/or contribute answers to some of the other threads folks have posted asking questions. You know, contribute something useful in your first 10 posts. Would garner a lot more goodwill than resurrecting 10 ancient threads for self-serving purposes. 🙄

We do get tired of the drive-by takers who come to get info but never bother to give anything back to the community. Be different! 😁 You’ll also probably get much better response if you don’t ask new questions in an old thread. A lot of us look at the date of the OP and skip the rest, assuming someone did just what you’ve done.

Welcome to HT and good luck on your hunt.
Considering I've never hunted west of Missouri, and the furthest west I have ever been in my life was CO (once on a non-hunting trip), I don't really have much to offer in terms of western and/or elk hunting. If anyone is interested in info on whitetail hunting or musky fishing in the midwest, I would say I have lot of experience in those areas and would be happy to provide info - but my guess is people on this forum aren't interested in that...but maybe I'm wrong? I mean, I could provide WI cheese! :ROFLMAO:

And I totally get it - especially in today's world, everyone is looking for the shortcut to success. People want the "take me to 'here' so I can shoot or catch a giant _____". I'm the opposite, because I want to earn it. If I didn't live across the country, I would be out there hiking every weekend in the offseason scouting, because that's what I do for whitetails.

To be fair, there aren't any recent posts on unit 47; I searched for a long time before digging up the ancient posts. Without the ability to post a new thread, I can't even start a conversation on the topic...

Beware that outfitters in this general area (48) have a sneaky way with their signage……..seems to me there is an attempt to snooker folks from legally entering public lands by making them seem to be private.

Considering I've never hunted west of Missouri, and the furthest west I have ever been in my life was CO (once on a non-hunting trip), I don't really have much to offer in terms of western and/or elk hunting. If anyone is interested in info on whitetail hunting or musky fishing in the midwest, I would say I have lot of experience in those areas and would be happy to provide info - but my guess is people on this forum aren't interested in that...but maybe I'm wrong? I mean, I could provide WI cheese! :ROFLMAO:
Um, have you not seen the epic cheese threads on this forum? This one was in the running for a Talkie in 2020….

You could be outnumbered by Tillamook fans however. Change our minds 🤣

Beware that outfitters in this general area (48) have a sneaky way with their signage……..seems to me there is an attempt to snooker folks from legally entering public lands by making them seem to be private.
I've seen a lot of that in 47 and 48. Outfitters posting BLM as private.

And I totally get it - especially in today's world, everyone is looking for the shortcut to success. People want the "take me to 'here' so I can shoot or catch a giant _____". I'm the opposite, because I want to earn it. If I didn't live across the country, I would be out there hiking every weekend in the offseason scouting, because that's what I do for whitetails.

To be fair, there aren't any recent posts on unit 47; I searched for a long time before digging up the ancient posts. Without the ability to post a new thread, I can't even start a conversation on the topic...
Start with Wyoming G&F writeups. Locals can tell you how accurate they are, but from here they at least sound detailed. No one is going to give you great spots, and most are going to give you shit for a post asking for help without ever seeing your user name before. Also seems that you applied for (and drew) a tag you didn't research, so that is going to offend those that did a ton of research and didn't draw. Good luck.

Back