Wyoming deadline

I put in with 2. Most likely won't draw, but i figured with the result changes it might help me out. If not there is always the random.

If I don't draw I'll save my money and head to Arizona with more vaca in December for archery muley

how can you pay off your c c purchace when they sit on it for 3+ months??if ya pay it in the first month,youll be credited ya 3+ months later??I dont need a +$800 sitting on my c c,,,a bit confusing,,and needless to say,,like most americans who has there c c balance sitting at 0?? i certainly dont ,,though i wish i did

how can you pay off your c c purchace when they sit on it for 3+ months??if ya pay it in the first month,youll be credited ya 3+ months later??I dont need a +$800 sitting on my c c,,,a bit confusing,,and needless to say,,like most americans who has there c c balance sitting at 0?? i certainly dont ,,though i wish i did
If you’re carrying a balance on your credit cards every month that’s the real problem here. If Wyoming held the draw 48 hours after the deadline that still will not solve the issue for you. Get your finances squared away and 3 months riding on 8 hundo will not be a big deal. Good luck!

Boy I am glad you're talking NR tags. I am a resident. I get until May 31 (I think). I will not be hunting out of state until 2021 when I am fully retired and can spend the time I want.

June 1st this year! An extra 24 hours to second guess your first choice apps lol

states like nevada,colorado,utah and idaho charge at time of draw,,if i tie up hundreds,,{over $1000 on 2 tag apps} of dollars on wyoming,i wont be able to apply elsewhere,,just saying wyoming is gouging it out of the applyer this year,i dont like it and i aint gonna do it on a full price elk tag with marginal draw odds,,they got me on my cow app,,will hope for the best.

states like nevada,colorado,utah and idaho charge at time of draw,,if i tie up hundreds,,{over $1000 on 2 tag apps} of dollars on wyoming,i wont be able to apply elsewhere,,just saying wyoming is gouging it out of the applyer this year,i dont like it and i aint gonna do it on a full price elk tag with marginal draw odds,,they got me on my cow app,,will hope for the best.
Good luck in the draws Dan!

I'm not a fan of them keeping my money that long, and really hate the late draw release so I get your point. Personally though I'm inclined to be more patient with Wyoming. I know you said " they didn't have all the candy" which is true but for my money it's the best "candy store" in the west. The game&fish do a great job with the money they receive especially compared to some other western states.

Some of the responses here have me feeling a bit better about my odds. Still long odds, but maybe not as long as I previously thought.

If I could only do one trip per year, it would be difficult to put all my eggs in the Wyoming basket. My strategy for October this year is basically hunt Wyoming if I draw, and snag a leftover Colorado 1st rifle tag if I don't.

dont get me wrong,,wyoming is on my list,,and is a very good option for the most part,,ive got a frezzer full of cow elk fresh from 2019 from wyoming,,just aggrivated about the price increases,date changes ,and mostly sitting on our app money,,it is a good quality/quantity state depending on the species//they will get more money from me in may on the deer and antelope,,but i will wait till then to apply.

If you’re carrying a balance on your credit cards every month that’s the real problem here. If Wyoming held the draw 48 hours after the deadline that still will not solve the issue for you. Get your finances squared away and 3 months riding on 8 hundo will not be a big deal. Good luck!

while the syntax was confusing, I think you jumped the gun a bit. He was asking what should do with the 800 credit he will receive three months later, meaning that would have positive balance.

Buy Groceries :) It does create a budgeting issue for some but I doubt WY gives a toot so it's just the way it's gonna be. Gotta pay to play.

I was thinking the same thing. Pay your credit card bill and then if your issued a refund use your card for purchases that you would normally pay with cash or regular monthly bills. No need to pay interest if you don’t need to.

I,,,like the majority of most people in this country have a fair amount of outstanding balances on my credit cards,like most average people do,,one way to keep my balance down$800 was not to apply for the full price Wyoming elk.your doing well if you have your credit cards payed down to 0.

I,,,like the majority of most people in this country have a fair amount of outstanding balances on my credit cards,like most average people do,,one way to keep my balance down$800 was not to apply for the full price Wyoming elk.your doing well if you have your credit cards payed down to 0.

I don’t have a credit card, and never have. Neither has my wife. Our credit score is excellent, and the only reason it isn’t perfect is almost certainly the lack of a credit card. Credit card balance not being 0 is a responsibility thing more than an income thing. However, WY holding on to your money is still a very real cost. It doesn’t matter if you finance it, or if a credit card company finances it. My work is seasonal, and low paying(not always low working) season is essentially from Dec 15th to Apr 15th. Within that is estimated income tax on Jan 15, fourth quarter sales tax on Jan 20th, finalized income taxes on April 15th and first quarter sales tax on April 20th. Additionally that time of year is when the majority of my equipment maintenance and purchases takes place in preparation for my busy season. That is also application season. I try to budget about $2k/yr for tags/apps/OnX/GoHunt/fuel/gear but I really can’t spend the entire $2k hunting budget all at once. There are too many unknowns regarding what my actual income/expenses will be during that time frame. If I paid WY $800 on Jan 31st, and then apply in AZ and UT and draw AZ, the tag money would literally not be in the checking account to pay for the tag. There also would not be enough money there for my NM app even if I didn’t draw in AZ. The options I would have are A) transfer money from my short term savings account whose specific purpose is to handle the pitfalls of unsteady income and expenses, or B) to get a credit card and pay interest on the WY app. I’m unwilling to do either, so it’s points for me again in WY. At some point in the future when I’m guaranteed a tag that I want in WY, I will apply in the drawing and forgo applications in AZ, NM, and UT(pts only in AZ and UT). UT does overlap with NM, but results for UT usually come out well after April 20th. At that point I’m back to funding the short term savings account instead of using it, and making enough money that I can access the remainder of the $2K hunting budget.

The point is, it is a real cost, even if you’re not paying interest on a CC. You could use that money to pay off student loan debt(it’s been over a decade and we still have student loans at 6.8%) pay down your mortgage(ours is 3.1%), fund your emergency fund, go into your IRA etc. We could try to put a number on it, but in terms of real world cost to an individual, it’s different for everyone. Will it cost you another application, will it cost interest, will it cost you peace of mind, or will it simply be a nuisance that is a financial drop in the bucket? The answer is different for all of us, and dependent upon our financial situation. That said, if the answer is to just pay credit card interest while you wait, it’s probably a bad call, and in reality, you probably can’t afford to apply in WY with the new changes, at least not without abandoning some other part of your application strategy. I know I can’t.

I try to be in drawings rather than just buy points, but I really can’t do that in WY. Points for me for the time being. If you draw a WY tag this year, don’t forget to thank me.

Last edited:
Guess I look at it a different way, but whatever system works for you, go that way. I put all the monthly expenses I can on the CC, pay it off at the end of the month before it even hits. Keeps the credit utilization down, but I get to build points (AMEX/Chase). That in turn pays for flights to wherever for the family.

I don't like the way WY is holding the money but it is what it is. I want to hunt there so I'll be jumping through the hoops they require. Good point however is the CC is already paid off, meaning the WY tag is already accounted for. Worst case they give me the money back and it pays for another tag that I draw somewhere else or just normal monthly expenses.

I was told by the state of Wyoming you could not change type of tag. I wish the state made this easier understand.

you can probably change between full price types, e.g. full price bull and full price cow, which is type 1 and 4? i think

i think what was meant is you cannot change a full price bull (or any full price) to a reduced price cow (or any other reduced price), those are separate applications

i could see that being a clearly confusing point if not well clarified over the phone - two types of applications have several sub types within them, essentially

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back