Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

The MeatEater podcast this week has one of the Missouri 4's lawyer on to speak about the case. The attorney is a non-hunter, and before this case didn't know what a t-post was.
It was a good podcast. I was glad to see him go on MeatEater since they were the only hunting/outdoor company I'm aware of that got behind these guys in the beginning. Crickets from all the other big names and companies.

Those are some very coherent and reasonable points by the plaintiffs. However, the last paragraph of the article seems patently false:

There are other and ongoing ways to ensure access to public land, Iron Bar lawyers argued, saying the solution should be in the hands of politically accountable actors and the public, “not the judiciary.”

The solution was in the hands of the public (ranch managers who put fence posts and chains on the corners) and politically accountable actors (Eshelman and Sheriff), but this failed when they harassed the hunters. Isn't this one of the great reasons we have a judicial process?

Those are some very coherent and reasonable points by the plaintiffs. However, the last paragraph of the article seems patently false:

There are other and ongoing ways to ensure access to public land, Iron Bar lawyers argued, saying the solution should be in the hands of politically accountable actors and the public, “not the judiciary.”

The solution was in the hands of the public (ranch managers who put fence posts and chains on the corners) and politically accountable actors (Eshelman and Sheriff), but this failed when they harassed the hunters. Isn't this one of the great reasons we have a judicial process?
Aaaaamen, Aaaaamen, aaaamen, amen amen

WYO-FILE’S and Angus Thuermer Jr.’s reporting on this has been stellar. The landowners argument is laughable; the landowner is severely grasping. Even if the Tenth Circuit were to conclude that it is not strictly bound by the prior Eight Circuit’s decision, courts routinely rely on decisions and reasoning in “other” circuits as persuasive where there is no applicable binding authority within the circuit. That the prior case arose out of Wyoming makes it even more persuasive. The amount of money Eshelman is expending on a stable of lawyers could likely buy the finest all private elk hunting ranch in all of Wyoming for a lot less. I can’t wait to see Eshelman have to sell this ranch at half of what he paid for it, the ultimate insult to having been whipped in court by 4 blue collar Missouri boyz.

I have been following this closely, however, I had no idea until yesterday what kind of checkerboard it really was in that Rawlins area. A friend who hunts in Wyoming pulled up his onX and showed me. WOW! That was about all I could say. I wonder how it got that way and what a way for a ranch to have an amazing amount of public land locked up for their use. Hopefully this opens up other states with this issue. I sure know some spots in SD that I would visit. An engineer who I used to work with was building some advanced condensed electric motor that he was using paragliding. I routinely told him I wanted to fly into some landlocked public land, right up until the day his motor failed (don't know if gas or electric) and he fell into a field and broke his back.

I have been following this closely, however, I had no idea until yesterday what kind of checkerboard it really was in that Rawlins area. A friend who hunts in Wyoming pulled up his onX and showed me. WOW! That was about all I could say. I wonder how it got that way and what a way for a ranch to have an amazing amount of public land locked up for their use. Hopefully this opens up other states with this issue. I sure know some spots in SD that I would visit. An engineer who I used to work with was building some advanced condensed electric motor that he was using paragliding. I routinely told him I wanted to fly into some landlocked public land, right up until the day his motor failed (don't know if gas or electric) and he fell into a field and broke his back.
A paraglider should be capable of safe landing during loss of power. That’s one hell of a design flaw.

Ultimately, I think the responsibility for this big mess lies with our Federal govt., and what they didn't do over the many many years. There are many examples of Federal govt incompetence in history. we only have ourselves to blame. I'm glad to see this all finally coming to a head. I watched the Steve Rinella video with the young attorney that lead the charge. This guy is my hero. I truly believe that he will be successful. It may take a long time, but it will force institutions all over the West to address this. Big ranches are going to have a day of reckoning. Would you pay premium bucks to buy a ranch with this checkerboard? LOLOLOL. And they know it!!!

A paraglider should be capable of safe landing during loss of power. That’s one hell of a design flaw.
A paraglider is just the parachute looking thing but it is actually an inflatable wing. A paramotor is what you have when you strap the motor to your back. It is very common for the two terms to be used interchangeably but they are much different.
When you lose your engine a paramotor becomes a paraglider. During training you have your motor shut off to land. No big deal. The guy in the story likely lost use of his engine and wasn’t prepared to land. He probably didn’t have enough altitude or time to make a safe landing and my bet is landed with the wind instead of into it.

A paraglider is just the parachute looking thing but it is actually an inflatable wing. A paramotor is what you have when you strap the motor to your back. It is very common for the two terms to be used interchangeably but they are much different.
When you lose your engine a paramotor becomes a paraglider. During training you have your motor shut off to land. No big deal. The guy in the story likely lost use of his engine and wasn’t prepared to land. He probably didn’t have enough altitude or time to make a safe landing and my bet is landed with the wind instead of into it.
I don't think you are too far off. For clarity, he landed in a field and he hit a rock in the slide during landing which ultimately did the damage. I was only adding this to original post because I had thought about this for a neat way to access certain landlocked public land.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back