Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

A guy that use to be a sheriff's deputy in Carbon County, for only 3 months, told me he got out, because the current sheriff told him "We protect ranches". This might be part of the issue.

Can't say I know Angus, but man, that article makes me want to buy him a beer.
Yeah, he pretty well made them look like the fools they are.

I mean, seriously, the title alone was a kick to the groin.

A prosecutor asking to stop sharing PUBLIC documents?

Are you kidding me?

What they're really saying is we want to keep this thing under wraps and in the confines of the corrupt county attorneys office in Carbon County.

The pesky public, releasing public documents...how dare they.

A guy that use to be a sheriff's deputy in Carbon County, for only 3 months, told me he got out, because the current sheriff told him "We protect ranches". This might be part of the issue.

Seems like that would be one of the many responsibilities of any sheriff's department? Must be some context implied.

Let’s summarize the Facts in this case.

Carbon County DA goes on record stating she will prosecute corner crossing. A case arises and she is reluctant to take it on but the Elk Mt. ultra rich ranch landowner makes over a dozen calls screaming at her to stop the hunters who accessed public lands via corner crossing so she takes it on and has the Deputy write the citation.

She then studies the case law and realizes what a chit sammy she has eaten and delegates it to the assistant prosecuting attorney.

Neither one deal with the harassment and manipulation violations and blatantly disregard and suppress Wyoming Game and Fish harassment regulation policy.

She then realizes the case isn’t going too well and decides to try and add a Game and Fish citation to the hunters from the previous year which is against Game and Fish directives to all staff.

The assistant prosecuting attorney then realizes public opinion is making them look like fools when the video is released showing a ranch manager trying to harass and intimidate state and county officers into issuing citations which they won’t do and bragging profusely about his bosses wealth. The assistant prosecuting attorney is so clueless he tries to tell the Judge to suppress the release of public information which his own Court secretary released via a $5 mailing. Pot call kettle Black. What banana public is he from and what Kangaroo court does he work at?

Any rational Carbon County resident should bury their head in SHAME AND HUMILIATION and what has transpired here. I would think there chances of her getting re-elected or him practicing law in Wyoming should be swiftly broadcast for all to see the buffoonery which has transpired here. Carbon County and Wyoming are living in the 1800s. EMBARRASSING.

He‘s lost his marbles as he didn’t even know how Angus got that video. He just asked the secretary for a copy and paid her $5 for the disc copy. Hilarious. Sounds like he’s more mad at his own chit in his own bed, maybe he should look in the mirror first before pointing fingers. A very good thing Angus is well organized to stuff it down his throat.
Wyo File in general is a good example of the "fourth estate" serving it's intended purpose as a watchdog on the government.

An update was posted to the Wyofile article yesterday, noting that the judge denied the request to limit public access to public documents:

Calling prosecutors’ motion to limit the distribution of public court documents a request for a “gag order,” Carbon County Circuit Court Judge Susan Stipe on Friday denied that motion.

In general that sums up Wyoming politics. It should be the subtext on those welcome to Wyoming signs at the border.

A description of the reporting of the corner crossing case from WyoFile

Dear WyoFile reader,

At WyoFile, we strive to cover the topics that matter most to Wyoming. In a recent survey, we heard from readers like you that our stories on the environment, natural resources and wildlife are of high interest.

In December, Angus Thuermer published the first of a string of articles on a corner crossing dispute in southern Wyoming. The issue centers on four out-of-state hunters contesting criminal trespass charges in Carbon County and underscores the larger debate about corner crossing — stepping over private property to reach public land. WyoFile’s coverage has since garnered national attention as Thuermer has doggedly reported its developments, tracking down court filings, capturing financial information regarding the ranch owner and securing law enforcement bodycam footage.

I recently sat down with Angus to talk about the coverage. Here’s our brief conversation.

Q: This story has gained enormous interest in Wyoming and beyond. How did it first come across your radar, and at what point did you realize that reader interest was so keen?

A: Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers started a GoFundMe page to defend the corner-crossing hunters after they were ticketed for criminal trespass. Several people told me about the campaign and there was significant social buzz about it. But we needed to see a ticket or an affidavit or an indictment – some official document or confirmation that a charge had been leveled.

Q: Take us a little into the reporting process. How many hours of interviews, miles of highway time and records requests have gone into this, for example?

A: At first there were only four tickets and they were in the circuit court in Rawlins. There is no online access to those records I know of. But a clerk there confirmed over the phone that four men were charged with trespass, and all had pleaded not guilty. That was a start.

We tried several times to have WyoFile reporters who were going through or near Rawlins drop by the county circuit court to collect documents, but for a while either weather or schedules didn’t work out. We finally drove there and got access.

Once lawyers started filing paperwork, however, there were reams of pages available to the public. There wasn’t much interviewing to do because nobody — no attorney, prosecutor, defendant, ranch manager or ranch owner — wanted to go on the record with a reporter. I know because I asked them all.

Although the court documents were public, the prosecutors asked the court for a gag order limiting their distribution because they said there were so many stories they were afraid they wouldn’t be able to seat an unbiased jury in Carbon County. The judge rejected that request.

Q: Were there any costs associated with obtaining key documents?

A: For this reporting series the largest costs were associated with my time and our staff’s time. This included weeks spent tracking down, double checking and reviewing complex property and legal documents along with other information and images collected from sources across the country. That’s before the writing and editing of the final articles began and long before they were published on WyoFile.com or sent to inboxes of readers. It cost a few cents per page to obtain copies of documents from the courts and $5 for other evidence like videos, but those are meaningless without an understanding and explanation of their context.

Q: To you, what makes WyoFile’s coverage of this issue singular?

A: We wrote regularly and frequently about the many facets of the case, including a separate but related civil case. Reporting opened up unanticipated aspects of the issue, including public land access, private property rights, law enforcement and the role that money, power and influence might have on the equal administration of justice. Those topics entrained a lot of readers who otherwise might not have given a hoot about bow hunting, which is where the story began.

Today you would have to live on a desert island — or even beyond — to be ignorant of the unsettled legal issue that affects millions of acres of public land in the West and whether the public can access that property. Legions of folk are paying attention to these cases and they’re looking to WyoFile to report about and explain them. To that end, WyoFile research and reporting, we believe, played a key role in preventing a court from imposing a gag order on public court documents, an order that would have greatly fogged the public’s clear view of the ongoing proceedings.

This type of reporting is time-consuming and expensive to produce, but we will continue to stay on top of fast-moving developments to bring you the facts. To do so, we need your support! Next week, barring court-imposed delays, Angus plans to travel nearly 300 miles to Rawlins to cover the much-awaited trial that could impact access to millions of acres of public lands. Will you help bring this story to the public?

It's like the show Yellowstone, but more wimpy.

*Rip angrily steps out of the black Ranch's Killverado 7500HD*

Rip: "You guys hunting? Do you know how much money my boss has?"

*30 munites of dressage bullshit*

Random ranch hand: *chuckle* "$*)Q!#@$ barrel racers!"

*John Dunham storms into DA's office*

John: "Listen, these guys are tresspassing over my airspace, the very oxygen I need to live, they are pretty much killing us. I didn't make a fortune in real estate and started ranching last year, to have MY god given way of life changed by these air thieves!"

*Screen turns black, big yellow bold letter appear on screen with dramatic sound effect*

"YELLOWSTONE"

*Queue some Ryan Bingham*

"Next week on Carbon County Yellowstone"

*Awkward looking Sherrif Deputy wearing Oakley Gascans, pulls up to two men wearing crocs in camp on BLM*

"Y'all pissed off the wrong rich guy"

*Starts scribbing on ticket pad*

"YELLOWSTONE"

Back