Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Area 23

Indiana Dan

Hello everyone, good or bad I am expecting area 23 tags, I am aware of the BLM area north of beaver creek, anyone have location of a good place to start in this area or friendly ranchers willing to lease or trespass? I have lots of good whitetail spots in Kentucky and Southern Illinois if anyone wants to compare notes, thanks Dan.

Can't really help you much on 23, but...welcome to Hunttalk!

What part of Indiana do (did?) you call home?

Near Madison , Jefferson county, far southern Indiana, Have taken great whitetail off public land in Indiana and Illinois.

I'm over in Bedford. We usually head over to Madison and camp at the park a few times each year, was just there weekend before last. Ate at the Red Pepperoni pizza place.

I can't help much on 23 either, having not hunted it. I have researched it a bit, as there are always leftovers there. From what I've gathered, there are lots of goats in 23, but the BLM north of Beaver Creek is better deer habitat than antelope. Best bet might be to lock a spot in at a ranch for a trespass fee.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your hunt. I'll be a little south of 23 this fall if we draw our tags.

Have Hunter north of you near Monroe, and in washington county, if you bump into anyone with info on 23 let me know, What area are you trying to draw?

If you are not opposed to paying, a tresspass hunt is your best bet. If you have any contacts out there to help in selecting a ranch, use them. Some guys get pretty frustrated when there are more hunters than game. Most ranchers will shoot you straight but it doesn't hurt to double check.

Either that or really go for it and backpack in. Could be a cool hunt if you want to pack in a couple miles from the road. Then again, you could do that and still not see anything...

23 is pretty tough. Lots of antelope but they seem to know where the private/public boundaries are. I would recommend trying to find a trespass fee hunt...and its getting late in the game for that.

I did 23 a couple of years ago with doe tags. Got in two days of hunting in the BLM area north of Beaver Creek before the big snow. I did fill my two tags but my wife didn't. Lots of hunters and fewer lopers than I expected. I was there on the opener, mid week, but would consider a later hunt to avoid the crowds and do a trespass fee hunt.

Welcome Dan! I grew up in the SW corner of Indiana, just north of Evansville, and currently live in the mess around Indy. Have some land over by Patoka Lake as an attempt to keep my sanity.

Good luck on your research!

Hunted the area way back in 2006 and had an awesome hunt, but we also ponied up $400/apiece for trespass rights to a 40,000@ ranch. We were the only 2 on it for the second weekend of season and it was awesome. Literally glassed 1200-1400 antelope in 2.5 days...antelope shopping at its finest. That said, the 'lopes were slim pickings on all the public land we cruised by.

I've passed out the guy's contact information dozens of times over the years and had a lot of folks fill his hunt slots, but it's definitely filled out by now...otherwise I'd pass his contact info along to you here.

I would like to try to contact him on the 40,000 acre ranch, maybe if he has positions full he would know someone else to contact , any help would be great!

By the way, all of you guys are great responding, Im glad I joined, have made quite a few calls with no help yet, planing on making a run to 23 to look for a set up or knock on doors, I have talked to one archery outfitter from Gillette, still kicking that around, I am fortunate enough to spend some time there before rifle season, being big on whitetail this would be my first attempt at Wyoming . Dan.

Back