Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could also raise the price of licenses for residents, said Flitner.

The lawmaker said she has taken an informal poll of resident hunters and most said they don’t want to pay more to hunt. But if the allotment percentage changes, Flitner said there is little else that could be done to make up for the losses.

“There’s really no other way,” she said. “Currently, [resident] hunts are subsidized by nonresident hunters.”

90-10 for big 5 just approved to move unanimously by task force...18/18....
We are so proud of you. Please know we all think your the best ever. Do not hurt yourself by patting yourself on the back. We all know your the one that pushed it thru. I am sure uncle Pat will thank you tonight

But as I have said before the big 5 should be 90/10.

It's super easy to state that residents of Western states can do what ever they want with big game in the states they live....but think long and hard about the long-term consequences to big game hunting in the Western US!

What is scary is that Wyo and Colo are the only 2 states left in the Western US that have great options for DIY OYO type hunters. BigFin lives in Montana and I live in Colo where we both benefit having ample hunting opportunities as residents. Unfortunately nonres hunters that live in the midwest and east have little opportunity to hunt big game other than whitetails.

What's even sadder is that if this happens in Wyo you can be guaranteed the same thing will happen in Colo. I'm a Colo resident and aren't going to sway on my thoughts about nonres opportunity. Nonres have waited up to 25+ years to draw limited tags in Colo. Similar to Wyo, draw odds for residents isn't going to increase much if Colo goes to 90/10. I'm not going to all of a sudden switch gears and be selfish like several Wyo residents on this website that draw 8 to 12 big game tags a year and still aren't satisfied with the opportunity they have....at the expense of ALL NONRESIDENTs.

As a Wyo nonres I'm obviously not telling Wyo residents what to do but am offering advice on a few scenarios that may be worth investigating before going to something as drastic as cutting nonres limited tag opportunity in 1/2. Wyo res already have fantastic opportunity. Res are tired of waiting to draw premium tags which 90/10 will do nothing. Something as simple as the waiting periods for premium units that improve draw odds will.

It's always wise to look at the big picture. What happens in Wyo 20 to 30 years from now if 90/10 is adapted. I can guarantee that premium limited tag draw odds will only get worse as more hunters move and reside into Wyo. There are hardly any limited tags issued to nonres in premium units so draw odds for res likely won't even keep up with the number of new Wyo that move to Wyo.

It also doesn't take much to figure out that nonres CURRENTLY contribute incredible revenue to the WG&F with license and pref pt fees and this has been increasing each year at an alarming rate. In contrast, nonres will drop out of the drawings like flies with 90/10. The revenue losses over 20 to 30 years is mind=boggling...especially when you keep in mind the loss of nonres that drop out of Wyo's draw system in that time.

Obviously Wyo better make sound decisions and look at various options before shooting nonres in the foot with 90/10! Believe me, there are long term consequences...and not just in Wyo but all Western States!

It is super disappointing as a nonres OYO hunter observing what is happening in Wyo and what may eventually happen in Colo. The years of nonres hunters being able to hunt Western states is slowly but surely disappearing. Young hunters growing up in the midwest and eastern US may never have the opportunity to hunt these species in the years to come unless they have big $.

I guess it's up to the task force and the legislature to figure out the fate of OYO nonres hunters.

Number one, I'm not your buddy.

Number two, what exactly are you doubting? That my main concern with decreasing hunting opportunities is decreasing numbers of hunters and advocates for the land and animals involved? Are you saying that my only concern is myself? If so, you don't know what the hell you are talking about but hey, you know what they say about opinions.

If you can't see how having a smaller pool of people hunting would create less advocates for hunting then there is an old saying about the forest and the trees you may want to look into.
Yes that is exactly what I'm doubting....Buddy. And how can you think there is going to be less interest in hunting (or public land advocates as you call these NR's) just because some states choose to allow fewer tags to these NR's??? Have you not been paying attention to what has been happening with point creep and the big increases in applications each year? This will continue no matter if there is 1% allocated to NR's.
And you've got to realize that the overwhelming majority of new hunters that are being recruited are not joining these discussions or give two cents about being an advocate for land and animals. Saying that recruiting advocates is why we need to keep wyoming at 80/20 is the stupidest thing I've ever heard......so yes, I doubt it buddy.

Yes that is exactly what I'm doubting....Buddy. And how can you think there is going to be less interest in hunting (or public land advocates as you call these NR's) just because some states choose to allow fewer tags to these NR's??? Have you not been paying attention to what has been happening with point creep and the big increases in applications each year? This will continue no matter if there is 1% allocated to NR's.
And you've got to realize that the overwhelming majority of new hunters that are being recruited are not joining these discussions or give two cents about being an advocate for land and animals. Saying that recruiting advocates is why we need to keep wyoming at 80/20 is the stupidest thing I've ever heard......so yes, I doubt it buddy.

Everyone isn't as selfish as you seem to think.

Like I said, forest and trees.

90-10 for big 5 just approved to move unanimously by task force...18/18....
Buzz,

You mentioned possibly going 50/50 random/preference. Will that be on the table for DEA as well as the big 5?

I sure hope so. That is definitely a positive change IMO regardless of allocation.

Feds took over management of migratory birds because the states messed it up.

Feds took over management of endangered species because of state failures.

Feds manage massive swaths of habitat & wildlife populations in parks, etc.

I mean, it's not that far fetched of an idea, and I've seen some reasonable people think it could happen. So, I'm kinda with Shango.
There was a pesky court case that said otherwise.

This thread has proved that point. It's also easy to call some group "anti-hunting" rather than actually listen to what they're saying. I just had this argument with a guy who thinks we can pass minimum flow legislation becase F" ag.

When stakeholders work together for common cause, wildlife win. When we just sit around in our camps lobbing grenades, the bastards win.
When one sleeps with dogs, one sooner or latter gets fleas.

Have this on in the background and if I'm hearing correctly, they're only talking big 5, leaning 90R-10NR, discussing 50random/50pref, discussing OIL, discussing scrapping pref for bonus, etc... Sounds like lots of items on the table and most panelists want to see actual numbers of what the adjustments would do.

In contrast, nonres will drop out of the drawings like flies with 90/10. The revenue losses over 20 to 30 years is mind=boggling...especially when you keep in mind the loss of nonres that drop out of Wyo's draw system in that time.
Surely you're joking. I would bet most non-res deer, elk, antelope hunters don't even know the res/non-res split when they apply but I hope you are right.

(the non-res Big 5 guys probably know the split)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back