Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference there is you, and I (I apply to all that and more), knew we have not the slightest chance to draw going in. In Wyoming I had a chance to draw. Now that chance has been reduced 125%. Even you have to see how disappointing that is.

I can’t do anything about it so I will do what I can with what I’m given, but I’m certainly not going to be giddy about it.
Yeah, I get it...and understand.

Wyoming should have went 90-10 from the start like the other states.

Its well past time they did this for the big-5, I just care more about Residents because of what you posted, outside WY, our NR odds suck. May as well maximize odds in ONE state for Residents.

It could also raise the price of licenses for residents, said Flitner.

The lawmaker said she has taken an informal poll of resident hunters and most said they don’t want to pay more to hunt. But if the allotment percentage changes, Flitner said there is little else that could be done to make up for the losses.

“There’s really no other way,” she said. “Currently, [resident] hunts are subsidized by nonresident hunters.”
Prices on tags have risen every five years since I've been hunting. Probably inflation but it's not a new thing. I guess if I have to pay $5 more for a conservation license for better draw odds on LE units I'm okay with that.

For the record I'd be fine paying double or triple what current resident tag prices are; especially if it means better habitat and access.

i hope the wyoming bean counters know the importance of who is supporting there budget by 77 pct...residents should be happy that we non residents value your wildlife and are willing to pay for the priveledge to hunt there..remember there are more antelope than people in wyoming,,outside support is big money$$$$$$.

i hope the wyoming bean counters know the importance of who is supporting there budget by 77 pct...residents should be happy that we non residents value your wildlife and are willing to pay for the priveledge to hunt there..remember there are more antelope than people in wyoming,,outside support is big money$$$$$$.
Once again, that 77% you keep mentioning is for license fees and points, not total budget. The task force and residents are well aware of the nonresident contribution and in this case the revenue adjustment will most likely includes increases to residents.

I get it's a tough pill to swallow, but one thing that stuck out to me at the meeting yesterday was the continued support to bring nonresidents to Wyoming, even with the shift in allocation for the big five.

Challenge accepted.

I'm fine if WY wants to go to a more strict 90/10. That's up to the agency and residents to decide, but Non-residents should also be considered for their input, since they're the one's who will be most affected.

Yes, wildlife and the easy, cheap access to opportunity are the largess of the residents. They live in that state, pay the freight for schools, fire departments, etc. They deserve to be at the front of the line. That should be something we all can agree on. But, if we're going to continue a funding model that relies on Non-residents funding roughly 70% of our game agencies, then listening to those customers and taking their input in, and ensuring good customer satisfaction is also a critical part of this equation.

But all in all, what we're really talking about is the reduction in wildlife, and who gets to shoot what, when, where and in what numbers rather than how we build herds back, increase wildlife populations and improve habitat conditions while also managing the allocation of licenses.

Hunters tend to get wrapped around the axle of opportunity first, and the resource second. This thread really highlights that.
According to the WY resident hunters, that 70% license funding by NR hunters is fake news and false. Sweat equity from WY resident hunters is all that matters.
I don’t agree with those statements but have heard it repeatedly from WY resident hunters.

There are no longer more antelope than people in Wyoming.

The antelope population is down about twenty percent from when that statement was true.

This fact is also more important than what percentage of tags we as NRs receive, for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
According to the WY resident hunters, that 70% license funding by NR hunters is fake news and false. Sweat equity from WY resident hunters is all that matters.
I don’t agree with those statements but have heard it repeatedly from WY resident hunters.
I just have a hard time believing we're at a point where so many non-residents are going to abandon Wyoming that there's going to be an impact. I mean, there would literally have to be leftover NR big 5 tags that don't get purchased by the end of the season before there would arguably be an impact to the hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc. And I don't think there will ever be a day, regardless of price or number of licenses, where any big 5 NR license will ever go unpurchased.

Is Wyoming going to lose maybe a little revenue from some people no longer purchasing preference points for the big 5? Maybe (they'll offset it with fee increases, etc). But that assumes that the NRs buying the preference points are paying attention to changes like this (and I doubt many of them are) and will stop buying them because they see their odds dwindling.

So put me in the "skeptical" column that this 90/10 change is going to have any impact at all on the amount of NR money spent hunting the big 5 in Wyoming each year.

Yeah, I get it...and understand.

Wyoming should have went 90-10 from the start like the other states.

Its well past time they did this for the big-5, I just care more about Residents because of what you posted, outside WY, our NR odds suck. May as well maximize odds in ONE state for Residents.

Buzz: was there any decision on eliminating Big 5 non-res tags where the total quota in a hunt area was less than 10? That could help my Wyoming buddy at least a little.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's being done in anticipation of future hunts. Might as well set up the rules beforehand
Wyoming had a griz hunt planned(2yrs ago?), tag holders awarded via draw, seasons set with strict female mortality quota and then.....lawyers. So griz system is in place and eventually will be turned back on once lawyers(aka real wildlife managers) decide we can.

Wyoming had a griz hunt planned(2yrs ago?), tag holders awarded via draw, seasons set with strict female mortality quota and then.....lawyers. So griz system is in place and eventually will be turned back on once lawyers(aka real wildlife managers) decide we can.
Ah, see I didn't know that. Thanks. And yeah, unfortunate there are so many hurdles, hoping you guys get a hunt going soon.

So a random draw, no preference points for residents or non-residents?
There are so few tags I could see this being resident only but the outfitters won't want that.

The lawyers aren't going away. I'll be surprised to see this hunt ever take place but I hope I'm wrong.

So a random draw, no preference points for residents or non-residents?
There are so few tags I could see this being resident only but the outfitters won't want that.
I remember there was multiple NR tags issued, but only like 12 total tags? Look it up there were multiple threads about it but lawyers ruined it. Contrary to what many on this thread try to make it appear Wyoming values its NRs and does always try to provide opportunity.

Last edited:
Is Wyoming selling preference points for grizzly bear? Surely not.
It's been 46 years since a grizzly bear has been legally hunted in the lower 48.
I don't think it's been quite that long. Montana had fall seasons until 1992 and the last season was a drawing for a spring hunt in 1993 or 1994...

There will be no points if a season happens in wyoming and likely a tag or two available to nr hunters

Buzz: was there any decision on eliminating Big 5 non-res tags where the total quota in a hunt area was less than 10? That could help my Wyoming buddy at least a little.
The plan is to rotate tag availability in areas with less than 10...they already do that now in areas that issue 3 or less tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back