WY NR hunters...HB236

As far as the Wydh comment,I don't think he was being seriously disrespectful.I think it was more of a joke.John is known for putting out some pretty odd comments and I think he was just giving him a little back.Sometimes you get back what you've been giving,and I think thats all it was;though not in the best taste I agree.Banning him without warning I can't really agree with but its not my site.I can say he has alot to offer and has offered to help me with some Ak hunting plans.Trust me, that alone is hard to come by on this site anymore.People say things and in hind site realize it wasn't a good idea.Just something I think should be considered ahead of banning anyone.This place needs more helpful guys then the "go figure it out yourself" guys.And, I've been seeing new guys getting hammered all the time anymore to where I respond to them,with help, in a pm rather then the open forums.

Kind of agree with this, both mixedbag and wyodeerhunter have given me a lot of info via pm, info that I've when posted about on the forum pretty much got sarcasm. In fact wyodeerhunter actually took some time out to look at his old maps to give me some info, not to many people on this site that will do that, problem with forums is you can't read tone/context, he may not have meant it the way it read(not that, that is an excuse), but guess we'll never know.

Back to the bill, I sent an email to a few of the representatives, not sure if it will help but at least I tried. Like someone else mentioned here in MO 1/8 or 1/6 % of sales tax goes to our conservation dept, they could do something like that but will probably get resisted from residents, but if it turns out like MT or ID they may see a loss in overall revenue and revenue for businesses

Last edited:
These hunt prices are just about to the point of taking me out of the equation-not so much from lack of funds as for the principle of it. It just seems like hunting is being turned into a rich man's sport. I realize that the money has to come from some place, but it gets harder for me to justify the expenditure all the time.

Wyoming is no worse than other places as far as fee increases. At least they don't do what Az does and require you to buy a hunting license whether you get drawn or not. I am sitting on four preference points for antelope in Wyoming and so I will probably burn them this year. It may be my last buck hunt, as I can have just as much fun shooting the does for a fraction of the price.

Thank you, John, for your service. You earned your money the hard way. There are always those that insult what they have no concept of. No one understands what you have gone through unless they have personal knowledge. I spent a year in Iraq on contract and served with my son on a base near Sadr City. He was blown up six timesin 18 months of combat and was never seriously injured except for the mental aftermath. You never get over what you see and experience in a combat zone and anyone who has not personally been there just plain does not understand.

John - You don't owe anyone an explanation. Those who want to make such ignorant and adolescent comments have not been down your path. Ignore them. Know that a lot of people are thankful for the sacrifice of you and others and wish you nothing but good things. We admire how you have persevered over events that we cannot even imagine. You would be welcome in our camps, any day.

Amen to that

I read somewhere there is an ammendment on this proposal to not only retain the fee increase, but to reverse the allocation percentage of regular/special tags? Anyone "In the know"?

I read somewhere there is an ammendment on this proposal to not only retain the fee increase, but to reverse the allocation percentage of regular/special tags? Anyone "In the know"?

OMG if that is true it's just another incremental step to King's hunting rules for our public lands. The trend just continues slowly but surely. Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming. Makes you wonder what the rules will be for our kids in 20 years. Throwing the DIY average Joe public land hunters under the new wildlife model bus. Wyoming already has the 2nd most auction tags in the US.

Although the increase seems like quite a jump in one shot, I will no doubt pay it. I have only hunted antelope in Wyoming so far, but it was an amazing hunt and worth the tag price. In fact, I will likely take advantage of the expensive special draw tags and the increased draw odds now without having to wait. I have gone to Colorado for elk hunting a couple of times now and will be going again this fall. I fully expect to come home empty-handed in terms of an elk, and that tag costs much more than Wyoming antelope where I am basically guaranteed of filling my tag and seeing lots of animals.
I do wish they would raise the resident fees a bit too, however. Even just a couple of dollars on resident fees could help out, and it wouldn't be an impact on the resident's wallet.
Even though I DO feel that the cost is worth it after having my first hunt out there, I wonder how many people will be willing to go to Wyoming to try antelope for the first time with the increased cost. If I hadn't already done it, I might be more likely to either not do it at all, or at least try another state.

OMG if that is true it's just another incremental step to King's hunting rules for our public lands. The trend just continues slowly but surely. Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming. Makes you wonder what the rules will be for our kids in 20 years. Throwing the DIY average Joe public land hunters under the new wildlife model bus. Wyoming already has the 2nd most auction tags in the US.

Zim, it states in this bill that that I linked at the start, that only 40% of the tags will fall under the new proposed fees. Meaning that 60% will, in fact, go to the special point pool of applicants.

Also, within the 40% there will be 2 tiers of permits...elk for example will be an elk tag only for $600...or an elk tag with small game/fishing attached for $650.

I dont know if the 40% will be split into 2 pools or if the plan is to further divide the 40% Regular draw between elk only or the elk/small game/fishing.

BTW, this bill was brought up by the WYGOA, they are intent on getting legislation passed to support their rich clients and give them an advantage in the draw. Thus...wanting to make 60% of the available quota go to the special fee pool.

That will impact odds in the best units for sure...clearly giving advantage to those paying the higher fees.

Business as usual for the Legislature and their Lobbyist's....

I'll testify against both bills (236 and 260) in committee...

I am much more sick about the 40/60 flip than the regular pool fee increase. You have to wonder how close they want to push the envelope to what happened in Montana.

I may go ahead and triple check my vacation days, and try to burn my WY deer points this year too.

BuzzH, Good luck with your committee appearance. Sounds like the outfitters are nearly as influencial as they are in New Mexico.

Guys---Please read the Bill closer! It is very confusing if you don;t read it closely to see those prices are tacked on to the other section prices. That $600 fee BuzzH mentioned is not the elk license, nor are the other two prices for antelope and deer in that first section with those prices. It is what is added on to the other section, which raises the regular fee for elk to $650, making the special draw for elk go up to $1250. Those two licenses will now include the fishing and small game licenses as a part of the price increase. The other bill that was nixed 8-1 was worded the same way.

Last edited:
(This pains me, but..) Topgun is correct. The fees listed at the beginning of the bill are the "Special" fees, which are added to the "regular" fees to get the special price. There will not be two tiers of special prices.

"This pains me, but..)"

LOL, it pained me more to have to put that last post up again because I stated the same thing a day or so ago and nobody read it or thought I was goofy, or both, hehe!!! The top section is poorly written and should state in plain English that it is referring to what will make up the special fee.

Yep...you guys are right, thanks for the clarification.

Reading all these bills is a nightmare...and they start to blend.

Further clarification! Zim, you and all the rest of us can rest easy for the time being as the 40%regular/60% special ratios are not changed in this Bill.

Regular
Deer - $480
Lope - $400
Elk - $650

Special
Deer - $780
Lope - $700
Elk - $1250

Looks reasonable to me. Seems like residents should go up an equal percentage though.

Back