WY Antelope Unit Advice - 8 Points?

AK2NV

If any Wyoming pronghorn junkies have any advice on recommended units with 8 points, I would love to hear from you. I have been getting some tips on sleepers that only take 4-5 points but would hate to burn all 8 points if there is a great unit I should be considering. I am definitely cashing in the 8 points this year. Just curious what others think. Thanks!

So you know of "sleepers" that take less than the amount of points you have and could draw for sure but would rather learn about a great unit that historically takes 8 points over a public hunting forum online which will then no doubt see point creep after being brought up and read by thousands in your position so you miss out by a half point or more and stay home next year. Makes sense.

Pay attention when tag allocations come out the end of April. Factor those in because if you’re definitely cashing them in, you’ll probably need to go with a unit that took 7 points last year. Go special too.

Look at the draw odds; regular and special (if your budget allows). If a unit took 7 points last year, chances are it will take 8 this year. Literally any antelope unit in that point range will be a great hunt. People don't waste 8 points hunting an extremely limited public land unit like those in the north east...

I would personally burn my 8 points on the special draw in a unit with low tag numbers and high % of public.

I would get a GoHunt subscription. You've already invested over $200 in points plus years of waiting. The tag will cost you about $350 in the regular draw and over $600 if you go thr special route. The $150 for gohunt will be well worth it to figure out exactly where to hunt. Plus they allow you to see how many people apply at each point level. That is huge and I dont think you get that data anywhere else.

I’m baffled to see how many people are so quick to flush over a hundred bucks down the toilet when there is a mountain of great info out there for free..

If you’ve got 2 points and a gps and can judge a pronghorn you’ve got a legit chance to shoot a b&c antelope in dozens of units..

go somewhere with nice scenery and other criteria , big bucks are in almost every unit in Wyoming.
I see it as a time saving feature the filtering 2.0 is great plus like I said the applicants by point level for each hunt is worth the price of admission to me personally. I apply all over the west so I really do like having everything at one spot. But Gohunt is my suggestion when people talk about units for how many points. But not everyone feels the same way which is fine.

Pay attention when tag allocations come out the end of April. Factor those in because if you’re definitely cashing them in, you’ll probably need to go with a unit that took 7 points last year. Go special too.

7 ?

I bet it's more like 5 or 6

7 ?

I bet it's more like 5 or 6
Yes, 7, and I’ll take that bet. I don’t think there was one unit that took a good number of points to draw in the special last year that jumped three points. Some were getting in that two point range, but most were closer to a point or less. If the OP really wants to be sure of pulling that tag, accounting for a two point jump will likely ensure he gets the tag, but odds are good points will be left on the table. And if buck tags go up and the current economic issues persist for another couple of months, I think you’ll see point creep in this draw slow a bit.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back