Would you shoot a mountain lion or wolf on a deer tag?

Outdoor Junkie

I recently learned that the Idaho deer tag can also be used to tag a mountain lion or a wolf. I know the odds of seeing one and getting a shot are slim, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. If you were hunting deer in the back country, would you burn your tag on a mountain lion or wolf if given the opportunity? I'm leaning towards saying yes on the mountain lion and no on the wolf.

Your thoughts?

For the wolf, just buy an extra tag or six. Idaho is practically giving them away. I'm surprised they don't give you a handful of them when you buy your hunting license.

Mountain lion would be a tough call for me. That's not a cheap extra tag, and I'd have a hard time eating the deer tag. Killing a lion without hounds is a great achievement though.

I have looked at hunting Idaho and I like that you can do this there. I would definitely shoot the lion but I would probably have a couple wolf tags anyways. I think NR wolf tags are only $30-something apiece.

Yes and yes. That's an easy one for me. A hunter can kill an Idaho deer a regular basis. That can't be said for lions and wolves. If you get the chance, put your deer tag on either a lion or a wolf and then come back the next year and hunt deer again.

During 40 years of hunting in NV I have only seen 3 mountain lions. The last one a couple of years ago at about 40 yards while bow hunting but I didn't have a lion tag. I would definately shoot a lion because they are so rare to see without dogs.

I wouldn't. I won't shoot what I don't eat, and I wouldn't eat lion, or wolf. I tried lion, and didn't like it.

The only exception is coyote. I kill them to get rid of them.

I recently learned that the Idaho deer tag can also be used to tag a mountain lion or a wolf. I know the odds of seeing one and getting a shot are slim, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. If you were hunting deer in the back country, would you burn your tag on a mountain lion or wolf if given the opportunity? I'm leaning towards saying yes on the mountain lion and no on the wolf.

Your thoughts?

I hunt Idaho every year and always buy a very inexpensive wolf tag. It's a solid investment!

And yes, I would use my deer tag if I was out of wolf tags but I only whitetail hunt there and there are always more of those available to purchase. Dead wolf = Priceless!

For the sake of conservation alone I would shoot a lion or a wolf if I haven't seen a big enough deer. Good luck and buy a wolf tag.

I would shoot the wolf or cat. There are plenty of deer unless you are in ND.

i would take a wolf or lion over a deer every time. To me a wolf hide from lower 48 is a better trophy than almost any deer. Lion, yes, just because of the unusual opportunity.

BANG, BANG, BANG.....RELOAD....(repeat as necessary to conclude satisfactory termination of situation)

If you pass on a wolf in Idaho don't tell anyone...ever. No seriously, nobody.

I don't personally have much interest in lion or wolf, unless someone has some great recipes to share. But I can certainly understand the impulse, based on everything I have been hearing from friends in that state.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back