Wolves Kill Prized Horse

If you notice, the main supporters of wolf introduction are liberals who live relatively safely from them in the inner cities. There is very little support for wolf introduction out of the big population centers. And none that are writing the legislation know anything about wolves or the true stats related to them.

Could that be a simply a function of relative population size?

Say only 1% of a population is strongly in support of wolves. That means 5 people in some western slope town, who may choose to keep their mouths shut. That same ratio is 50,000 people on the front rage, who given their number may choose to be more vocal and pull a few “on the fencers” over.

Most people I’ve talked to about it had no idea what it going on and to be honest, didn’t really give a chit.

I started to read the first link,,but after a short read,,,, I think I knew where it was going. Presently I have three prized horses, one of which I spent a fair amount of money in order to buy him.

I've always assumed it was on me to accept the risks that go with having horses. It's on me to mitigate the risks as much as possible. There are endless ways for horses to meet a bad end. I know a guy who asked his prized horse to step over a barbed wire fence, it didn't end well for the horse.

I know that I worry about having a horse colic than most anything else.

Would you be up in arms if the wolves killed a feral horse? They are considered prized animals by many.

Last edited:
Would you be up in arms if the wolves killed a feral horse? They are considered prized animals by many.
That horse got more attention nationwide than it did here. I believe there was a chance it was spooked by something, got hung up in a fence and died from stress. Then was fed upon by animals. Don't think it's happened here since, and we have plenty of wolves. mtmuley

You must mean like lions and bears? Quota's and management targets? I think that's the plan in most states.

If you want to pinpoint it. No, more like coyotes. Kill all you want, in any unit, all year long. Yes, I have no love for wolves.

btw...Where are all these wolves they want to give us? Is there a wolf farm or will they remove them from another state?

Wolves are headed your way all by themselves anyway. mtmuley

I know but that's small compared to an introduction. Wouldn't they have to introduce them to make them protected? Maybe not. I'm not sure if they're protected now or not.

If you want to pinpoint it. No, more like coyotes. Kill all you want, in any unit, all year long. Yes, I have no love for wolves.

btw...Where are all these wolves they want to give us? Is there a wolf farm or will they remove them from another state?
That entire pack you have in CO made it through a huge portion of Wyoming that treats wolves exactly as you wish CO would do. Accept it, you now have them, adapt and overcome.

The outright lies by Rocky Mountain Wolf Project to collect ballot signatures is the sad part of this equation. That and the gullibility of the targeted naivete of those who signed.

Wolves will naturally limit the spread of CWD? Hahaha! 😂🤣
Unfortunate for Colorado, Rocky Mountain Wolf Project is handing out their Kool-Aid and their targeted population is slurping the final drops and asking for more. 🙄

Randy hit the nail on the head...
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/fo...ion-ramping-up-are-you-in.293493/post-2899468

So many factors ignored either via ignorance or arrogance.

I'm not big on a horse though to each his/her own. We all have that critical point where, "enough is enough".

Wolves are headed your way all by themselves anyway. mtmuley

That is one of my points. They have already be sighted in NorthWest Colorado. So if they are already coming/already here do we need to introduce them?

The biggest point I am after is wolf and predator management does not belong in the courts or in the big cities. It belongs with the state wildlife officials who work with them and livestock producers and know predators much better than any judge or city slicker. There needs to be a balance and we can't have too many wolves when one pack can wipe out an entire dairy or beef herd in one day. Wolves don't just kill for food when they get together, they often kill for sport and there are numerous reports where a huge chunk of an elk herd was wiped out by wolves especially near the Yellowstone area. Even Grizzlies need to be put back under state management where it belongs. California, Washington and Oregon does not need to manage wildlife outside their state boundaries and that is essentially what is happening.

As to the OP, I don't believe for one second that horse was killed by wolves.

While I'm no expert on wildlife forensics, I see some things on that horse, and more importantly don't see things on that horse, that are indicative of a wolf/predator.

Not a mark one on the neck/face...unusual to say the least. The horse also wasn't hamstrung either.

The eyes have been picked clean, must be a real "prized" horse that the owner didn't find until after the birds picked its eyes out. I think a more accurate portrayal of that horse would be "lawn ornament".

I think that old nag died of a twisted gut or the like and the neighbor dogs and birds got a good meal of horse.

As to the OP, I don't believe for one second that horse was killed by wolves.

While I'm no expert on wildlife forensics, I see some things on that horse, and more importantly don't see things on that horse, that are indicative of a wolf/predator.

Not a mark one on the neck/face...unusual to say the least. The horse also wasn't hamstrung either.

The eyes have been picked clean, must be a real "prized" horse that the owner didn't find until after the birds picked its eyes out. I think a more accurate portrayal of that horse would be "lawn ornament".

I think that old nag died of a twisted gut or the like and the neighbor dogs and birds got a good meal of horse.

Thanks Buzz .
Exactly...it would take a 2-3 wolves hanging by that horses neck to get it to the ground.

Mule..........I stay in my state. I have no desire to remove them from another state. My concern is always for our elk and deer herds. I pretty much hunt for bears and coyotes to save deer/elk newborns.

The biggest point I am after is wolf and predator management does not belong in the courts or in the big cities. It belongs with the state wildlife officials who work with them and livestock producers and know predators much better than any judge or city slicker. There needs to be a balance and we can't have too many wolves when one pack can wipe out an entire dairy or beef herd in one day. Wolves don't just kill for food when they get together, they often kill for sport and there are numerous reports where a huge chunk of an elk herd was wiped out by wolves especially near the Yellowstone area. Even Grizzlies need to be put back under state management where it belongs. California, Washington and Oregon does not need to manage wildlife outside their state boundaries and that is essentially what is happening.

Read your own post and tell me you're even one bit serious or have a clue what you're talking about.

Show me where a pack of wolves has wiped out an entire herd of dairy or beef cows in one day...I dare you to.

Surplus killing by all predators happens, but is very rare and occurs under very special situations. Its so rare, that like your supposed horse predation picture, the same old photo's circulate the net about every 4-5 years. As far as surplus killing, I hear about human hunters opening up on a herd of elk every year and having several unclaimed dead elk and wounded ones limping off.

Finally, I don't disagree with grizzlies being removed from the ESL and placed in state control. But, that isn't going to mean grizzly numbers are going to decrease any and, if hunting is implemented, it will be limited enough that populations may increase. It sure isn't going "put the fear back into grizzlies because they're being hunted." As a friend of mine said, "the only thing a grizzly is scared of, is a bigger grizzly"....and that's a fact.

Back