Hunting Lions Without Dogs

WyoDoug

I am starting this thread more along the line with sharing hints that I picked up over the years on hunting lions without the use of dogs. I started hunting lions in the 80s when a rancher offered me permissions to hunt on his land near Eagle, Colorado in exchange to helping get a lion that was preying on his cattle. He loaned me some horses and all the tack I needed. He offered me a reward of $500 if I got the one killing his cattle. This would be my first lion hunt, cold turkey sorta. I had been deer hunting and saw several by chance but this was the first one I hunted down. And there was tons of beef bones strewn around those caves.

I was between jobs at the time and had cashed out my 104K at the time so I used that money to fund a hunting trip for a cat. Keep in mind that at this period of time, there was no such thing as Internet where you could seek out extensive information on hunting cats like you can today. The strategy I started with was to find a kill site and track from there. It didn't take long before I found a calf that had been killed and lion tracks all around it.

A key thing is at this point the lion likely knew I was in the area. In addition to excellent vision, a mountain Lion has extremely sensitive hearing. This is also an important tool for hunting in low light. Lions can detect high frequency sounds that allow them to detect hidden prey. By comparison, Mountain Lions have a weak sense of smell.

The partially eaten calf carcass was covered with a branch and I circled that until I found tracks leaving and entering the kill site and followed them. I located the lion under some outcrop rocks that had small caves under them and he was eyeball to eyeball to me at 100 yards or so. He didn't think he was seen I don't think because he just laid still under the rock behind shrubbery and pulled my 30-06 out of the scabbard and dismounted. I don't know why but the lion still did not budge from where he was hiding. Normally, this would put them in a defensive mode. I shot freehand and hit it on first shot in the head right above the eyes.

I got my hunting permissions, but I never took that rancher up on other requests to hunt lions. He offered me a grand to kill another lion, but it cost way more than that for a week or so tracking a lion and eventually setting up on it to kill it unless you run into it pure by chance. It is also a fairly dangerous hunt as a hungry cat sometimes also views horses and sometimes people as prey.

Since then, I have shot about a half dozen lions but never with dogs. I have always use the strategy of finding a kill site and setting up on it or tracking from there. Setting up on a kill site takes a ton of partience and some chance that the lion ignores you ordoes not detect your presense. I would calculate my success rate on hunting lions without dogs to be around 50%. I recently had a lively discussion with a guy on Facebook that asked me how many lions I treed. My answer was none, because I never used dogs. Not sure what his point was LOL. But I like my strategy and going to stick with it.

Now here is my question for others that hunted lions without dogs. What was your strategy and what hints would you offer tenderfoots wanting to hunt them?

Thanks for sharing the insight too bad
California will never open a lion season I think that’d be a fun animal to hunt. But I don’t see myself ever planning an out of state hunt for one.

I called in a lion to about 50 yards while wolf hunting once, didn’t have a tag in my pocket. I’ve wanted to specifically call another one ever since.

I called in a lion to about 50 yards while wolf hunting once, didn’t have a tag in my pocket. I’ve wanted to specifically call another one ever since.

Calls do work but not very well. The main diet of mountain lion is most places is deer. But cougars do not normally turn down a free rabbit. I have used calls before but not as successful as finding a kill site and setting up on it or tracking it back out from there. I ended up getting more coyotes coming in than lions. Lions got a keen sense of hearing and use that in low light situations to spot prey. Because of that, the little things you mess up on predator calls can also tell the cat something is wrong.

Calls do work but not very well. The main diet of mountain lion is most places is deer. But cougars do not normally turn down a free rabbit. I have used calls before but not as successful as finding a kill site and setting up on it or tracking it back out from there. I ended up getting more coyotes coming in than lions. Lions got a keen sense of hearing and use that in low light situations to spot prey. Because of that, the little things you mess up on predator calls can also tell the cat something is wrong.
I know several people who have called in and killed lions. I was using a calf elk call, not a rabbit distress.

I know several people who have called in and killed lions. I was using a calf elk call, not a rabbit distress.

I have never called in lions using elk calls. Might have to try that this year. But a calf distress call might work.

Had to edit this: I see lion tracks nearly every time I hunt elk and when I had a license for it, I got a lion about every other tag. Didn't always see a lion while hunting elk, but it seemed that every single time I didn't have a tag I did.

Lion will most certainly investigate a distress call even rabbit or rodent. It’s a matter of them being close enough to hear it and being hungry enough to come. Lion density is the key can’t call what’s not there. I’ve called them depressingly close calling bobcats and not known they were there til get up to leave. They are much like a bobcat as they sneak in and stand stone still and watch much of the time.

Lion will most certainly investigate a distress call even rabbit or rodent. It’s a matter of them being close enough to hear it and being hungry enough to come. Lion density is the key can’t call what’s not there. I’ve called them depressingly close calling bobcats and not known they were there til get up to leave. They are much like a bobcat as they sneak in and stand stone still and watch much of the time.

You are so right there. Lions know you are there a long time before you ever detect their presence. They will usually investigate a distress call, but different from coyotes, if you make a distress call that sounds unnatural you might alert the cat and sometimes chase it away. I found coyotes to be more forgiving and sometimes vocalized some calls without any kind of aids and got them to come in.

It isn't that cougars are rare, it's that they require large territory sometimes upto 150 square miles, sometimes more and will fiercely defend it's territory. Lions are solitary except for mating and a male will allow a female into it's territory especially if she's in heat. Female ranges are smaller and for that reason you will generally find female lions more often than you would males. Males will kill juvenile males that fail to leave their maternal range. Female ranges might also overlap or be included in the male ranges. I generally end up getting female lions most years.

Last edited:
So dont do rabbit noises. Calm fawn vocalizations brought this one in to 5 yards.20191213_205843.jpg

From my years of running lions with hounds I found that lions prey on rabbits more than deer in the winter. At least where I hunt. I can remember alot of lions that were miles from any deer,elk or other 4 legged hooved animal.

From my years of running lions with hounds I found that lions prey on rabbits more than deer in the winter. At least where I hunt. I can remember alot of lions that were miles from any deer,elk or other 4 legged hooved animal.
Agreed ^^^^

You are so right there. Lions know you are there a long time before you ever detect their presence. They will usually investigate a distress call, but different from coyotes, if you make a distress call that sounds unnatural you might alert the cat and sometimes chase it away. I found coyotes to be more forgiving and sometimes vocalized some calls without any kind of aids and got them to come in.

It isn't that cougars are rare, it's that they require large territory sometimes upto 150 square miles, sometimes more and will fiercely defend it's territory. Lions are solitary except for mating and a male will allow a female into it's territory especially if she's in heat. Female ranges are smaller and for that reason you will generally find female lions more often than you would males. Males will kill juvenile males that fail to leave their maternal range. Female ranges might also overlap or be included in the male ranges. I generally end up getting female lions most years.
Never said they were rare but there are places at least in Colorado where they’re thicker than others.

Check that quota before you go out.
Took this cat off the ranch we manage this year after she set up her household along the meadows and horse pasture.
Her tracks were all over and we just made a plan to check every morning we were out .
Jumped her out of the creek bottom one day. Must have had a kill nearby as she was very well fed.

DSCN0245 copy.jpg

Check that quota before you go out.
Took this cat off the ranch we manage this year after she set up her household along the meadows and horse pasture.
Her tracks were all over and we just made a plan to check every morning we were out .
Jumped her out of the creek bottom one day. Must have had a kill nearby as she was very well fed.

Nice kitty. I hope to have the same luck in October when I do my hunt. Been in contact with landowners bordering my hunt area and trying to find sightings, hints and permissions. I have never used dogs and had some morons on Facebook slam me and ask how many I treed in my lifetime. Many states, including some that I hunted in do not allow dogs for lions hunting. Simple answer was none, I never used dogs and got all mine (about half dozen total) by stalk and spot techniques. This year I plan to do pictures, something I have never really done much of on my hunts.

Anyways, good shot, nice and fat. I would enjoy butchering that one myself. Mountain kitties are really good tasting. Biggest killer of newborn calves according to the ranchers I talk if they are in the area that is. They have to have 8-10 pounds of meat a day to survive and new born calves are generally around 80-90 pounds so they will get about 2-3 calves a week once they associate cattle with food. For some reason, it's the newborns they went after on my cousin's ranch, not the more mature ones. His ranch is up south of Cody.

Last edited:
This is definitely a hunt I want to try in my future.

Requires a ton of patience and miles of walking to track them. I never have used dogs. They don't have the same sense of smell bears and big game do so you don't have to play the wind as much with them but their eyesight and hearing are both very sharp.

Heck seeing a Big Cat is a rare occurrence without dogs. There have been a few just treed by the family mutt that stumbles on one...

A bowhunting friend claims he saw a group of pigs tree one in Southern California. I believe him.

Wondering if a $140 lion tag in NV is worth having while chukar hunting the NW corner?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back