Wolves Kill Prized Horse

Read your own post and tell me you're even one bit serious or have a clue what you're talking about.

Show me where a pack of wolves has wiped out an entire herd of dairy or beef cows in one day...I dare you to.

Surplus killing by all predators happens, but is very rare and occurs under very special situations. Its so rare, that like your supposed horse predation picture, the same old photo's circulate the net about every 4-5 years. As far as surplus killing, I hear about human hunters opening up on a herd of elk every year and having several unclaimed dead elk and wounded ones limping off.

Finally, I don't disagree with grizzlies being removed from the ESL and placed in state control. But, that isn't going to mean grizzly numbers are going to decrease any and, if hunting is implemented, it will be limited enough that populations may increase. It sure isn't going "put the fear back into grizzlies because they're being hunted." As a friend of mine said, "the only thing a grizzly is scared of, is a bigger grizzly"....and that's a fact.

Not too hard:

13 of 14 sheep killed: https://www.tchdailynews.com/2019/07/18/wolves-wipe-out-wood-county-sheep-herd/
3 adult wolves kill 120 sheep: https://missoulian.com/news/local/article_5ff01772-938f-11de-9aca-001cc4c03286.html

My uncle had a ranch near Billings and when he was alive, he lost 137 out of 140 range cows in one night

Not too hard:

13 of 14 sheep killed: https://www.tchdailynews.com/2019/07/18/wolves-wipe-out-wood-county-sheep-herd/
3 adult wolves kill 120 sheep: https://missoulian.com/news/local/article_5ff01772-938f-11de-9aca-001cc4c03286.html

My uncle had a ranch near Billings and when he was alive, he lost 137 out of 140 range cows in one night

Must be pretty tough, you've now changed your story from cattle to sheep...

Oh, you mean 3 adult wolves panicked 120 sheep and they smothered and trampled each other to death...got it.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on your "uncle" losing 137 out of 140 cows on a Ranch near Billings in one night...prove it or it didn't happen. You have quite the imagination, should probably start writing fairy tales. Trust me, if it happened, it would be documented in the APHIS predation reports and would have been splashed on every newspaper in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and probably the national news.

What year was it and I'll confirm...

The biggest point I am after is wolf and predator management does not belong in the courts or in the big cities. It belongs with the state wildlife officials who work with them and livestock producers and know predators much better than any judge or city slicker. There needs to be a balance and we can't have too many wolves when one pack can wipe out an entire dairy or beef herd in one day. Wolves don't just kill for food when they get together, they often kill for sport and there are numerous reports where a huge chunk of an elk herd was wiped out by wolves especially near the Yellowstone area. Even Grizzlies need to be put back under state management where it belongs. California, Washington and Oregon does not need to manage wildlife outside their state boundaries and that is essentially what is happening.

I try to offer others the respect I try to earn for myself. Tossing out a pejorative term for anyone not living in the same circumstance is unlikely to have them take your opinions seriously. Whether anyone likes it or not, with the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, wild life belongs equally to all citizens in a jurisdiction. When you start talking about federal land, then the ownership gets spread to some degree to every US citizen. There are many competing opinions on how wildlife should be managed.

Turning this around, when Ingrid Newkirk starts using pejorative terms when talking about hunters,,,,how seriously do most hunters consider her thoughts?

If you notice, the main supporters of wolf introduction are liberals who live relatively safely from them in the inner cities. There is very little support for wolf introduction out of the big population centers. And none that are writing the legislation know anything about wolves or the true stats related to them.

Not sure if Casper is a "big population center," but you can count me as a western resident who believes wolves should be on the landscape.

Easy fix. Go out and trap all the live one's you can. Take them to the nearest major city and turn them loose downtown!

Not sure if Casper is a "big population center," but you can count me as a western resident who believes wolves should be on the landscape.
Me too, though I guess I'd be discounted as a hippy living in a college town.

Your opinions count, its those larger city folks, like from Cheyenne for example that should be discounted.....hey, wait a minute.... ;)

Must be pretty tough, you've now changed your story from cattle to sheep...

Oh, you mean 3 adult wolves panicked 120 sheep and they smothered and trampled each other to death...got it.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on your "uncle" losing 137 out of 140 cows on a Ranch near Billings in one night...prove it or it didn't happen. You have quite the imagination, should probably start writing fairy tales. Trust me, if it happened, it would be documented in the APHIS predation reports and would have been splashed on every newspaper in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and probably the national news.

What year was it and I'll confirm...

Thanks Buzz .
Exactly...it would take a 2-3 wolves hanging by that horses neck to get it to the ground.
No marks by the armpits? The only area eaten was the butt and guts? Eyes picked out? I think Buzz is on the right track.

I just spent the day hunting chukars in wolf country with my wife. Not sure how any of us returned alive, but we made it. Trail of dead livestock everywhere.
Wolves must not eat chukars. You guys got lucky. mtmuley

Back