Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wolves Have Been Released

Those things cost hunters and pro hunting groups money. Is that a good use of limited resources?

Question for everyone:
How are the groups we are “fighting” so well-funded?
Anti-hunting groups and the pro wolf folks are all through out the US and have a common interest in mind. Unlike us hunters they all would like to see the same thing. I doubt that a special interest group in Colorado would only allow 10% of the nonresident groups to voice their opinion or to support banning of lion hunting or any other common interest. They support one another instead or trying to keep each other out.

This is the sheet that pisses me off. How about the problem is the SSS and smoke a pack a day conservatives are the issue and continue to step on their d*ck? Pretty stupid, correct?
You clearly have no understanding of the political landscape in Colorado. Conservatives and/or Republicans are such a small minority in Colorado that it doesn’t matter what they do. While stupid at times, they are completely irrelevant. Single party state with super majority and control of every lever of state political power. But honestly this shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Most people view hunting favorably. Do you really think that the anti-hunting movement was suddenly activated by a few SSS and “smoke a pack day” comments? This is a concerted, long term effort by Denver/Boulder politicians teamed up with anti-hunting activists and major national orgs with deep pockets.

Last edited:
This is already happening in CO because a bunch of the ranchland is fragmented and not hunted anymore, and even some of the big ranches aren't hunting at all, throw the wolves in and it's just going to accelerate the Montanazation of CO... people worrying about wolves eating the elk should be probably more concerned with there being plenty of elk, but all of them are off limits...
You haven't seen anything yet

Local guy is offering to rent out his goats to protect your property and livestock from the woofs...

Landa had his way with one last night and he took a trophy home with him.

Them woofs is in big trouble.
View attachment 310713
Guy: Tina, how many of the wolves did you kill? I thought I told you just to haze them away from the other animals
Tina: I killed them all, I'm a bloodthirsty sociopath and I can't help myself

So much for the largest elk population in the US...
Lookup Lolo Zone Idaho in first 10 years of our donated wolves.

Found this from March 2020:

Idaho Fish and Game has concluded wolf control actions done during February that removed 17 wolves in the Lolo elk zone north of Highway 12. Similar control actions have taken place in eight of the last nine years to reduce predation and improve elk survival in this herd that is well below elk management objectives.

The operation was conducted under the guidance of Fish and Game’s Elk Management Plan and Lolo Predation Management Plan. Fish and Game authorizes control actions where wolves are causing conflicts with people or domestic animals, or are a significant, measured factor in deer and elk population declines. Such control actions are consistent with Idaho's 2002 Wolf Conservation and Management Plan approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Idaho Legislature.

The recent control operation was paid for with funding generated from Fish and Game license and tag sales and transferred to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control Board.
Fish and Game prefers to manage wolf populations using hunters and trappers, and only authorizes control actions where regulated harvest has been insufficient to meet management goals. The Lolo elk zone is steep, rugged country that is difficult to access, especially in winter.

Since wolf control in the Lolo elk zone began in 2011, an average of 14 wolves have been removed annually through control actions, and an average of 21 wolves have been taken annually by hunters and trappers. In 2019, hunters and trappers reported 24 wolves taken in the Lolo zone. The current trapping season ends March 31 and the hunting season runs through June 30.

The Lolo elk population declined drastically from its peak of about 16,000 elk 25 years ago to fewer than 1,000 elk in recent years. Fish and Game biologists estimated 2,000 elk in the zone when it was last surveyed in 2017. Short-term goals for the Lolo elk population outlined in the 2014 Elk Management Plan include stabilizing the population and helping it grow.

Found this from March 2020:

Idaho Fish and Game has concluded wolf control actions done during February that removed 17 wolves in the Lolo elk zone north of Highway 12. Similar control actions have taken place in eight of the last nine years to reduce predation and improve elk survival in this herd that is well below elk management objectives.

The operation was conducted under the guidance of Fish and Game’s Elk Management Plan and Lolo Predation Management Plan. Fish and Game authorizes control actions where wolves are causing conflicts with people or domestic animals, or are a significant, measured factor in deer and elk population declines. Such control actions are consistent with Idaho's 2002 Wolf Conservation and Management Plan approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Idaho Legislature.

The recent control operation was paid for with funding generated from Fish and Game license and tag sales and transferred to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control Board.
Fish and Game prefers to manage wolf populations using hunters and trappers, and only authorizes control actions where regulated harvest has been insufficient to meet management goals. The Lolo elk zone is steep, rugged country that is difficult to access, especially in winter.

Since wolf control in the Lolo elk zone began in 2011, an average of 14 wolves have been removed annually through control actions, and an average of 21 wolves have been taken annually by hunters and trappers. In 2019, hunters and trappers reported 24 wolves taken in the Lolo zone. The current trapping season ends March 31 and the hunting season runs through June 30.

The Lolo elk population declined drastically from its peak of about 16,000 elk 25 years ago to fewer than 1,000 elk in recent years. Fish and Game biologists estimated 2,000 elk in the zone when it was last surveyed in 2017. Short-term goals for the Lolo elk population outlined in the 2014 Elk Management Plan include stabilizing the population and helping it grow.

People will blame the issue they're most passionate about, but in this case at least, it was the wolves who done it

Hey now…the elk hunting in nw Wyoming really sucks
I know your kidding.
1. However, lets think about these few things. 22 years ago there were units in north west wyoming that had cow tags > 1500 tags and lots of reduced price tags into january. Today just a few tags. These elk were huntable on public land. Moose are gone in those units. Left over cow tags!!!
2. Now a few guys brag about elk numbers being the same as 20 plus years ago. Just seems the elk numbers have increased on the private ranches in the east and southern part of the state or increased in the areas that traditionally had great populations of mule deer. Seems like the elk replaced the deer. A Ranch that 30 years ago annually killed 30 nice bucks a year and no elk now could kill 50 or more elk a year if they wanted to!!!!
Wolves will never go away without the use of poison in todays world and poison is not gonna happen. Trap them and shoot them where and when you can.

I know your kidding.
1. However, lets think about these few things. 22 years ago there were units in north west wyoming that had cow tags > 1500 tags and lots of reduced price tags into january. Today just a few tags. These elk were huntable on public land. Moose are gone in those units. Left over cow tags!!!
2. Now a few guys brag about elk numbers being the same as 20 plus years ago. Just seems the elk numbers have increased on the private ranches in the east and southern part of the state or increased in the areas that traditionally had great populations of mule deer. Seems like the elk replaced the deer. A Ranch that 30 years ago annually killed 30 nice bucks a year and no elk now could kill 50 or more elk a year if they wanted to!!!!
Wolves will never go away without the use of poison in todays world and poison is not gonna happen. Trap them and shoot them where and when you can.
Just a "few" cow/calf tags in NW Wyoming?

Is that right...

I know your kidding.
I'm not kidding. I rode around on a horse like a dipshit for 10 days without seeing a bull. I am seriously contemplating going back to Colorado.

I know your kidding.
Good holy hell dude! You clearly have exactly zero understanding of elk numbers and distribution in NW Wyoming, the current state of the moose population or the multitude of factors affecting mule deer numbers.
Maybe just stay in your lane...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back