PEAX Equipment

Wolves Have Been Released

Found this from March 2020:

Idaho Fish and Game has concluded wolf control actions done during February that removed 17 wolves in the Lolo elk zone north of Highway 12. Similar control actions have taken place in eight of the last nine years to reduce predation and improve elk survival in this herd that is well below elk management objectives.

The operation was conducted under the guidance of Fish and Game’s Elk Management Plan and Lolo Predation Management Plan. Fish and Game authorizes control actions where wolves are causing conflicts with people or domestic animals, or are a significant, measured factor in deer and elk population declines. Such control actions are consistent with Idaho's 2002 Wolf Conservation and Management Plan approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Idaho Legislature.

The recent control operation was paid for with funding generated from Fish and Game license and tag sales and transferred to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control Board.
Fish and Game prefers to manage wolf populations using hunters and trappers, and only authorizes control actions where regulated harvest has been insufficient to meet management goals. The Lolo elk zone is steep, rugged country that is difficult to access, especially in winter.

Since wolf control in the Lolo elk zone began in 2011, an average of 14 wolves have been removed annually through control actions, and an average of 21 wolves have been taken annually by hunters and trappers. In 2019, hunters and trappers reported 24 wolves taken in the Lolo zone. The current trapping season ends March 31 and the hunting season runs through June 30.

The Lolo elk population declined drastically from its peak of about 16,000 elk 25 years ago to fewer than 1,000 elk in recent years. Fish and Game biologists estimated 2,000 elk in the zone when it was last surveyed in 2017. Short-term goals for the Lolo elk population outlined in the 2014 Elk Management Plan include stabilizing the population and helping it grow.

Yep, so there is a case study of what happens when massive non-native wolves are left unchecked, well past their goal numbers (lawsuit after lawsuit), in a remote unit.
And even if they had been kept in check with the numbers 'promised' originally, there still would be a large loss of elk, and any real management would have had to be completed by air being so remote, with a boatload of tax dollars (as with all the lawsuits).

Not to mention -15,000 elk x 193lbs of meat (adult cow/bull average) = almost 3,000,000 pounds of meat gone...for what?
-It is not for nature which was wiped out. Moose for instance faired even worse in some areas.
-And it is not for for the environment to push people off millions of pounds of true organic organic meat, over to factory farmed meat or roundup laced vegetables all wrapped in plastic and shipped who knows how far.
All that leaves is at best blissful ignorance...or blind malice overruling concerns for anything else.

I hunt nearby units to the Lolo and they also have never been the same either; moose nearly gone and elk a tiny fraction of what they were.

I'm happily married. Still interested in how massive the non native wolves are though. Got a pic. Kill one? mtmuley
If this is a sincere question, which is did not seem to be as you have the internet and if you live in Montana and avidly hunt I would expect you have seen a wolf by now.
No I do not have a dead wolf picture to share, but if you are asking if I have direct knowledge I do.
Most I have seen were on a dead run or on private property, but I did have one about walk up on me close enough to smell as I was downwind in some old growth (under 10 yards). As luck would have it my rifle was leaned on a tree and I was looking at a Garmin. But yes that is close enough for me form an opinion that they do indeed grow quite large.

If this is a sincere question, which is did not seem to be as you have the internet and if you live in Montana and avidly hunt I would expect you have seen a wolf by now.
No I do not have a dead wolf picture to share, but if you are asking if I have direct knowledge I do.
Most I have seen were on a dead run or on private property, but I did have one about walk up on me close enough to smell as I was downwind in some old growth (under 10 yards). As luck would have it my rifle was leaned on a tree and I was looking at a Garmin. But yes that is close enough for me form an opinion that they do indeed grow quite large.
10 yards! You are lucky to be alive. mtmuley

You clearly have no understanding of the political landscape in Colorado. Conservatives and/or Republicans are such a small minority in Colorado that it doesn’t matter what they do. While stupid at times, they are completely irrelevant. Single party state with super majority and control of every lever of state political power. But honestly this shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Most people view hunting favorably. Do you really think that the anti-hunting movement was suddenly activated by a few SSS and “smoke a pack day” comments? This is a concerted, long term effort by Denver/Boulder politicians teamed up with anti-hunting activists and major national orgs with deep pockets.
Well stated. The political landscape started to change about 30 years ago on the front range and has creeped into most of the major ski resorts on the western slope. Makes me sick how some of these people think. I'm afraid it is gradually creeping into other small towns in the state.

Well stated. The political landscape started to change about 30 years ago on the front range and has creeped into most of the major ski resorts on the western slope. Makes me sick how some of these people think. I'm afraid it is gradually creeping into other small towns in the state.
Yep, similar to what has occurred in OR.
They ban hound hunting bears/lions, predator populations spike, the mule deer population gets utterly hammered, so now F&G has to hire a dog man, on tax dollars, to go unit by unit treeing bears/lions, then they kill them, weigh them, and leave them on the ground to rot vs. selling tags and the animals being harvested.

Yep, similar to what has occurred in OR.
They ban hound hunting bears/lions, predator populations spike, the mule deer population gets utterly hammered, so now F&G has to hire a dog man, on tax dollars, to go unit by unit treeing bears/lions, then they kill them, weigh them, and leave them on the ground to rot vs. selling tags and the animals being harvested.
You've got to be joking! This late summer, just before archery, while going into a couple popular hiking and 14er mountain climbing areas, I encountered two couples. Exchanging small talk led to me explaining elk rut activities which naturally led to hunting. This blew them away, that I would actually kill these beautiful animals. Here we go again...
I said, "Have you ever heard of conservation?"da da da da!! I was wasting my breath. Yet both couples didn't have a problem with wolves on the western slope killing these beautiful animals. These people are those that will affect our future hunting opportunities and wildlife conservation.

Why none to CA? Bring their historic population of 10,000 or so grizzlies back!...honor the state flag...
I think they should release a few wolves into northern California to target the blacktail and the Sierra Nevadas to contain the "over objective" muledeer. Then the wolves might just creep on down into Napa Valley and the Sacramento area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back