Wolves Have Been Released

Maybe the only way people become more aware is to publish the data. I,e. $X is what we pay ranchers for losses. I don't want wolves or cougars to be "political", but if you want to argue for management, it might be made more salient for people with $ amounts. Eventually people in Portland will ask why are we paying for wolf kills when we have all these other problems.
Not likely when they are also paying for housing complexes for homeless people and illegal immigrants. The money spent on wolves is a rounding error

Every crappy elk hunter in CO. now has a reason their elk tag goes unfilled.

Every guy on a CO. bar stool will have SSS at least 5.

The one truth will be the vast majority of folks in Colorado will never lay eyes on one and even fewer will get a chance to shoot one.

Last edited:
Every crappy elk hunter in CO. now was a reason their elk tag goes unfilled.

The one truth will be the vast majority of folks in Colorado will never lay eyes on one and even fewer will get a chance to shoot one.
Isn’t that the truth!

I don’t like how they were introduced but have hunted all over the areas they were dropped and will continue to do so! Would love to see one out in the wild. Maybe my draw odds will go from every other year to every year.

Not likely when they are also paying for housing complexes for homeless people and illegal immigrants. The money spent on wolves is a rounding error
You are certainly Mr Positive this holiday season? It may be, but money spent on wildlife conservation in general is a rounding error in the Federal budget and we still care and fight for it. What is often lost is that urban centers pay the bills for most of the country. People complain about team blue vs team red, but the reality is what it is. This country is built by and runs on the money from urban areas. You have to appeal to that. That is who you have to convince that "management" is beneficial to the idyllic image they have of the west.

Every crappy elk hunter in CO. now was a reason their elk tag goes unfilled.

I bet I see one. I’m sure my hunting elks will be affected by it. I’m sure I got this shoved up my arse by a ton of people who voted that most likely don’t even live here anymore.

Sometimes it feels like folks up North think this is funny because they got it shoved up their arses 30 years ago. I’m sorry, not your fault.

This is not Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, compared to any topography, geography, sociology, biology, etc.

Last edited:
Right, but I heard the same thing, that wolves would never be hunted in those states, too.
Cool you heard things. They were designated a non-game species in Colorado specifically so they cannot be hunted. It would take legislation to change it, which wont happen in Colorado.

Maybe the only way people become more aware is to publish the data. I,e. $X is what we pay ranchers for losses. I don't want wolves or cougars to be "political", but if you want to argue for management, it might be made more salient for people with $ amounts. Eventually people in Portland will ask why are we paying for wolf kills when we have all these other problems.

The ODFW Commission just voted to make no changes to the Oregon Wolf Plan until 2028 at least other than they want less wolves killed due to depredation. Portlanders elect the Governor who appoints the Commission members and also tells the agency directors what to do. I hate to be so pessimistic but the average Portland/Eugene voters are not likely to let a little thing like the truth change their views on things even if they could and the concept of having a normal wolf season isn't something they will be voting on. I would like to think that the consequences of the leaders they have been electing would eventually cause a shift in thinking but I don't think they put two and two together.

It does in some instances. Wisconsin hunters and trappers killed 216 in 3 days during the open season in 2021. I understand the mountain west is different, but hunting can have an impact.
Hunting with hounds made this possible. The easy terrain, accessibility and road system is conducive to killing wolves with hounds there. Wolves in Wisconsin can easily be boxed in, and with good snow conditions, houndsmen knew when they were only turning loose on singles and doubles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in the West. Some are trapped, some are killed on purpose, some are sniped by deer and elk hunters. It just doesn't add up to having much of an impact here.

Hunting with hounds made this possible. The easy terrain, accessibility and road system is conducive to killing wolves with hounds there. Wolves in Wisconsin can easily be boxed in, and with good snow conditions, houndsmen knew when they were only turning loose on singles and doubles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in the West. Some are trapped, some are killed on purpose, some are sniped by deer and elk hunters. It just doesn't add up to having much of an impact here.
I guess I missed the issue this year. I kinda thought things were less impactful.

I saw one smallish wolf track this year total. Came across more wolverines.

Oh, and as far as the Colorado talk at the local watering hole goes, There will be talk of whole schools being attacked by wolves, and tape worms left all over the tetherball poles so when kids go to lick the pole they get worms.

And be on the lookout for a hero of a wolf slayer from the midwest. He'll be driving a minivan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back