Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wolf Poaching

That’s not the same thing. Don’t act like killing wolves is the same thing as killing elk and sheep. If a wolf gets poached, most of us hunters don’t care (except you). If one of our elk deer ect gets poached, we all care.

Bullchit...it is exactly the same thing.

Also, painting with a pretty wide brush there...I can show you a whole bunch of "we's" that didn't give a flying, you know what, about illegally killing a mountain of deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc...

I'm a hunter and I care. It's totally the same thing to me. Why is it not to you?
I guess because in my eyes, the decline in elk, deer, and moose in particular, I blame on protected wolves. In the early 2000’s we would see a dozen moose per day bow hunting elk near pinedale. The last few time we went, we would only see maybe 1 in 10 days. There were plenty of wolf tracks and kills to prove they were the culprit.
So while I think wolves are neat, I think they are poorly managed. My friends in Idaho say there’s areas that aren’t even worth going, because there’s so little game to hunt, because of wolves.

Well sorry if you feel I was celebrating a criminal Mr. Serious. If I knew of anyone killing wolves in Wyoming illegally, I wouldn’t say a thing about it. I don’t hate them. But I don’t want Wyoming to be like Idaho either.
Put a city the size of Boise in the WY and you'd see the same reduction. WY gets off the hook by not having nearly the resident pressure that states like ID and MT have. Blaming wolves is a joke.

I guess because in my eyes, the decline in elk, deer, and moose in particular, I blame on protected wolves. In the early 2000’s we would see a dozen moose per day bow hunting elk near pinedale. The last few time we went, we would only see maybe 1 in 10 days. There were plenty of wolf tracks and kills to prove they were the culprit.
So while I think wolves are neat, I think they are poorly managed. My friends in Idaho say there’s areas that aren’t even worth going, because there’s so little game to hunt, because of wolves.

There are areas in Minnesota that my friends say aren't worth going to because the wolves killed all of the deer. Interestingly enough, I can kill a deer in those areas any year that I want while they sit on their barstools complaining.

Poaching is poaching. I have little respect for any hunter that promotes it, regardless of species.

There are areas in Minnesota that my friends say aren't worth going to because the wolves killed all of the deer. Interestingly enough, I can kill a deer in those areas any year that I want while they sit on their barstools complaining.

Poaching is poaching. I have little respect for any hunter that promotes it, regardless of species.
Yes, I agree, poaching is poaching.

That’s not the same thing. Don’t act like killing wolves is the same thing as killing elk and sheep. If a wolf gets poached, most of us hunters don’t care (except you). If one of our elk deer ect gets poached, we all care.
Well, at least you’re able to admit your double standard and hypocrisy.

You need to do some more and better research...

Moose declines are happening in similar latitudes across large areas of N. America and elsewhere, in areas with high predator numbers and in areas without.

Why do you suppose that is?

Check the moose studies being done in WY, pay attention to the Bighorn and Snowy Range studies in particular...seeing the same declines as other areas, and predation in both ranges is pretty minimal.

Also, mule deer are declining all over the place as well. If predation was the only thing impacting mule deer, we'd be in high cotton, in particular areas that don't have high predator numbers. Yet, that isn't the case, why do you suppose that is?

Lots of guys preach SSS. This guy evidently took it to heart.

I want wolves to be studied, and managed. I believe they have a right to be part of the system. We are also part of that system. I want to be able to buy a tag and hunt them legally. Poaching them is counter productive in this situation, and all other wildlife management. It smears the vision of hunters in some people’s minds, and also messes with population management. This A hole should receive the maximum penalty, and lose all hunting privileges in all states. Natural consequences..., or leave him to the wolves!

Well sorry if you feel I was celebrating a criminal Mr. Serious. If I knew of anyone killing wolves in Wyoming illegally, I wouldn’t say a thing about it. I don’t hate them. But I don’t want Wyoming to be like Idaho either.

We must push through the court system. We must use the huge amount of power we have to change things legally. We as hunters are the primary funders of so much, we must demand change. We cannot get into the mud, like this poacher, or we are just another pig. Wolves must be managed like any other wildlife.

I am a hunter. I don’t agree.

You can be fairly certain that anyone who poaches that many wolves and eagles,,,,,doesn't abide by other game laws either.

Decent chance this guy spotlights deer, hunts out of season,, whatever he rationalizes as being his right.

His ilk are a blight on every sportsman.

So looking at the article it implies he was trapping not out shooting these for the most part anyway can’t say all of them were from trapping..

but anyway to my question I know zero about trapping so this may be a dumb question. What happens if you do end up with an animal in your trap that Is protected or wasn’t what you had set your traps for? I’m not giving this guy an out by any means bcuz this wasn’t by accident.. but I’m asking what happens if a law abiding trapper ends up with something in his trap/snare or whatever that is endangered or he wasnt planning to catch?

I think this guy was going to do this regardless of anything but the courts have really made the wolf issue polarizing in our part of the world. This is probably pretty foreign to your guys with active wolf seasons. Unfortunately, the wolf has turned into a symbol of urban "woke" culture to the rural communities of the midwest. You can imagine how they are treated most of the time in a chance encounter.

So looking at the article it implies he was trapping not out shooting these for the most part anyway can’t say all of them were from trapping..

but anyway to my question I know zero about trapping so this may be a dumb question. What happens if you do end up with an animal in your trap that Is protected or wasn’t what you had set your traps for? I’m not giving this guy an out by any means bcuz this wasn’t by accident.. but I’m asking what happens if a law abiding trapper ends up with something in his trap/snare or whatever that is endangered or he wasnt planning to catch?
It is known as an incidental catch. If you can release the animal alive yourself it is expected. If you cannot release the animal alive or don't want to try you would contact the MDNR and give them the location of the catch and a possible meeting and they will show you how to release it. If you catch an animal in a trap and it is dead, there are incedental tags available that you attach the tag, release the dead animal, and turn it in to the closest MDNR office.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back