Winch or Diff

• Winch

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • Limited Slip

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Locker

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
Thanks, that’s a great idea! Looks are pretty high in my priority list.
Seriously. I bet lockers will do all you need to do. A winch is for extreme conditions or recovery of another vehicle. I have a lot of friends with snow crawlers. They drive around in 5 feet of snow. Lockers are essential, the winch an insurance plan. mtmuley

Last time few times I was stuck, I think the locker would have made it through. So periodically I have researched an elocker for my truck, but sorting reviews between periodic user and hardcore wheeler are a challenge.
I do know my buddy’s taco with front locker was great during hunting season.

Last time few times I was stuck, I think the locker would have made it through. So periodically I have researched an elocker for my truck, but sorting reviews between periodic user and hardcore wheeler are a challenge.
I do know my buddy’s taco with front locker was great during hunting season.
Also know that Eaton elockers mainly used in the Jeeps to be a 3 pinion design. There were problems with a lot of weekend warriors doing what they shouldn’t and breaking them. About 10 years ago Eaton redesigned them stronger and alot of the issues went away. There is still alot of the older version out there in axles. Guys don’t do any research and just bash them for being bad. Sorry 37” tires on something designed for 30” tires is going to break.

I purchased the new design and had them installed on my Jeep. I run 35” and a healthy V8. I beat the snot out of it every time it starts. Never has let me down.

I'll also add, I'm a fan of not getting stuck to begin with as opposed to sorting out ways to get unstuck, so the winch would be last on my list.

Also know that Eaton elockers mainly used in the Jeeps to be a 3 pinion design. There were problems with a lot of weekend warriors doing what they shouldn’t and breaking them. About 10 years ago Eaton redesigned them stronger and alot of the issues went away. There is still alot of the older version out there in axles. Guys don’t do any research and just bash them for being bad. Sorry 37” tires on something designed for 30” tires is going to break.

I purchased the new design and had them installed on my Jeep. I run 35” and a healthy V8. I beat the snot out of it every time it starts. Never has let me down.

I have not found consistent information on the Eaton for my gm ifs.
An elocker is what I was looking for.
With the weight of my big block and a ranch hand out front, both front tires turning would go through most reasoned spots.

This article is a great starter to cover the basics of both tools and techniques:

Sorry. Looks like too much speed on a corner. mtmuley
How'd you guess?

How'd you guess?
Ummmm, the pic tells all. Stuff happens. mtmuley

Without the lockers you’ll use the winch more often. Without the winch you’ll be walking more.

Lockers are much easier on the vehicle and the land when deployed properly, allowing you to slow down in a bunch of places that would require speed for momentum to get through.

The winch? 2 words… self recovery.

Back