Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

We should go on an elk hunt

jryoung

So a year ago my buddies and I were in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness here in CA and we decided that and elk hunt would be fun.....which means "J.R., plan it and tell us what to buy and when". Fast forward to March and 6 apps were in for elk combos in MT and come April, we find out we all drew. Sweet.

So we plan some things

Do some exercise type things

Cook some meals

Lose two hunters on the way due to work and family stuff and it's just 4 of us heading up.

I should probably introduce the characters. Paul, has hunted off and on his whole life, he's hunted elk once in Colorado a few years back, but not successful. Mike is a new hunter, an eager new hunter that has lots of questions and ambition, and will buy almost any piece of gear we tell him to.....also, he's the only native Californian (you see that show up here). Finally, Don, a brand new hunter who has only successfully hunted a rabbit with a 7.62x39 (I cooked what was left for him). Two years ago Don wasn't super keen on guns or gun ownership, we've remedied that in him now he's a licensed hunter, gun owner and NRA member.

Word limit almost reached, switching to pictures.

First night out after setting up camp and not sleeping for 36 hours, it got a little western. I was trying to hustle to a glassing point for the last few minutes of light and missed a turn.....ooops.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Fortunately an InReach message to a fellow hunt talker interrupted the beer he was just poured at the bar and he camp to our rescue shaving 7 miles off our 10 mile hike back to camp.

Ursa Major guiding our hike
2.jpg

Recovery gear for the win

On to hunting, this is me taking Don a short 8 mile loop in the snow.

4.jpg

Fresh tracks, followed them for 3 miles.....every moment felt like we were in the 9th pitching a no hitter and it was going to be won or lost until this bull dropped out of the snow and into untrackable land.

5.jpg

Hey look, the bar is open. Can you guess which guy is actually from CA?

6.jpg

Never had a threesome, but I have to imagine the pleasure here was pretty close.

7.jpg

Back to hunting, these two kept finding elk 5 seconds too late. In fact Don has now earned the nickname Snow White, he finds the animals, but they don't die.

8.jpg

Maverick's inversion in top gun was way cooler.

9.jpg

So you really just sit in a place like this for hours and glass everywhere?

12.jpg

Yes

11.jpg

How about a nap?

24.jpg

How about keep glassing and shoot and elk?

13.jpg

Don was a bit overwhelmed, but he jumped right in.

14.jpg

Then he just went back to taking selfies and let me cut.

23.jpg

Turtles all the way down.

22.jpg

Copper bullets just pencil right through.....sometimes.

17.jpg

Don't skip leg day.

16.jpg

"We should go on an elk hunt"

This simple proposition is the genesis of many a good time and strong friendship. You should write a book jryoung....you have the gift.

Last edited:
Hell of an adventure and write up. I agree with Harley, you have a knack. Congratulations on your bull and extracted truck.

Well written story my friend. Was the boss pissed about your Baja foray?

Congrats on a great elk - write up was great as other's have said. Can I make a suggestion when enjoying a Cold Smoke beer next time? Pour the Cold Smoke in a glass and add a shot of vanilla vodka - unofficiallly called a "snowplow".

Great adventure. Did Don get the ”bug” on his first elk trip?

Good stuff. And good photos of the hunt.

That broadhead looke like a QAD Exodus. Cool to see something like that. Testament to their toughness and ability to rebound.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back