Will my base layer work for Sep hunt

Pa Bowhunter

Im looking at my first elk nxt Sep (2020) im on a budget having 4 kids and a wife up in the air on it to begain with

My question is how important is a merino base layer or would I be ok with the under amour that I currently use in pa to hunt with is is the heavy cold weather gear

Heavy cold weather gear might be too hot seeing that September can have some warm weather. I've never had a issue with a merino base layer, it's great! I've used KUIU and First Lite and both are amazing pieces. If you can swing it get a merino wool base layer.

I think First Lite was having a Tag Soup sale (20-30% off) but that might be over. All archery season I used the Wick Quarter Zip and Kiln Hoodie combo. Only on those later Set days did I feel like I needed another layer. YMMV

Black ovis merino on camofire. 90% of the performance for half the price. Just have to watch the site daily or sign up for the email notifications.

If you’re on a budget, use what you have. Statistically, you’ll never have an issue with hypothermia in your life. You’ll further decrease the odds of hypothermia if you carry a bic lighter and vaseline cotton balls to start a fire if you’re cold. However, don’t make dumb decisions that might kill you.

We all like the newest, best gear but a lot of it is overkill. I could probably outfit myself with secondhand wool from goodwill and be good for a few seasons.

I started upgrading clothing a few years ago and now I've got (and love) a few merino pieces. I absolutely consider it a good switch from my old cotton or poly duds, but I also somehow managed to do a lot of hunting and get along just fine in "lesser clothing" for a lot of years. I say go with what you've got--when the budget more easily allows for upgrades, do it.

People were hunting elk long before merino base layers came around. There was a time not all that long ago that your Under Armor was top of the line. If you're on a budget use what you got. Might not even need a base layer in Sept.

For budget reasons I would definitely consider polypropylene layers (Army surplus). I use them as I have LOTS from my Army career. They can get funky a bit if you get in a situation where you are sweating but they are very functional.

I'd be more worried about your footwear. If you are going to spend some money invest in some good mountain hunting boots.

Merino is overrated... IMO. I've tried a few different pieces and continued to be underwhelmed for the prince. YMMV Polypro works fine for me, some makes you stinky, some doesn't. Its easy enough to rinse out in a stream and dry though.

IMO, people get too worked up over little things that really dont' matter that much, base layers being one of them.

IMO..... your UA base layer will work, are there better alternatives.... yes. Since you mentioned it's your first elk hunt there's many other more important gear items you should be putting your efforts or dollars into high quality Boots, pack, glass.... etc. Also being aware of the expected weather conditions for your altitude & location, you may not need baselayers at all or you may get a foot of snow dumped on you w very cold temps. Lots of variables hunting elk in the mnts. Good luck!

polyester cheap.....wicks moisture away.... light weight that keep you warm... works for me.... O dry quick & the best glass u can get your hand on

Last edited:
And depending on where you are at and what dates you go.... 2 years ago in September I was hunting in 18" of snow with my bow. You need to watch the weather for where you want to go and take clothes accordingly, and them so. Always bring a good waterproof outer layer and something with insulation.

Yep. we can have over a foot of snow fall in one night in Sept, I would take the plunge and buy some wool under layers. After this winter they will be on sale almost everywhere.
You can get by with what you have though. As mentioned a good insulating outer layer will take care of you, but wool is so nice as a base layer. It does stink near as much and easy to wash and hang dry.

I started elk hunting with ua base layers on a 7 day backpack hunt during rifle season. The following year I used it again on a September bow hunt before I bought the black Ovis merino wool. The biggest problem with the ua is after a day or two of sweating the stank is pretty bad. The black Ovis is awesome for the price but it doesn’t last long. After two seasons of use both the top and bottom have runs in the thread. I want to get a higher end pair but hope they last longer for the extra money.

Black ovis merino on camofire. 90% of the performance for half the price. Just have to watch the site daily or sign up for the email notifications.

Yep, there was just some on camofire a couple days ago. Moosejaw.com and some other places will have some on sale soon too.

I'll wear synthetics for a day hunt, but multiple days of the same base layers need to be merino. Synthetics get a weird funk to them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back