Caribou Gear Tarp

Cloth Layering general and Kryptek specific help needed.

CG-914

Hi All,

curious to learn about layering cloth. So far I only have a pair of thin hunting pants, shirt and a rain jacket that I was wearing for hot California deer hunting or layering underneath it for waterfowl hunting or stand hunting for white tail back east. Now I am collecting points and am applying for tags for Elk and deer out west and I am looking to improve my clothing set up with layering and staying comfortable, tired of freezing.

Would love to stay with Kryptek due to:
- what I already have
- lower price at higher quality (not saying it is Sika or similar)

Figured I need the following:
- Base layer, maybe marino wool, maybe a top with hood
- Breathable Sweater for hiking
- Thicker layer/puffy layer when glassing, in camp etc Jacket only? Any Kryptek jacket recommendations?
- What pants? Have a thin set of Kryptek Valhallas, should I add a set of Vellus that work as thicker and Rain Pants in one?
- Jacket options?
- What socks? Marino wool or alpaca?

Also my trusted old Northface boots are thin and starting to fall apart after many years and miles, need recommendation for a good all around set.

Maybe important to point out is that I would like this layering system to work for many states and weather conditions, since I am on a budget.

Thank you all!

I don't really know Kryptek, but your list of what you need is good. If I'm backpacking I like a lightweight merino baselayer generally. Hood really depends on preference. If it is a hunt where I'll be only wearing my baselayer a lot of the time then a hood is more useful. If your other layers have hoods then a baselayer with a hood usually just makes things uncomfortable. Then a heavier grid type fleece, a puffy jacket and a good rain layer. That'll get you thru 90% of western hunting. I also throw a light vest in the mix usually later in October.

For pants, I would keep what you have and get rain pants and/or puffy pants depending on if it is earlier or later season. I have both but honestly haven't used my rain pants in a couple years, but I mostly hunt after October 15. I wouldn't go with the heavier softshell pants unless you are hunting in November and/or there is a lot of snow on the ground, they usually just get too hot. Not a bad idea to have lightweight baselayer bottoms as well (zipoffs are money).

For boots, I like the Schnee's Beartooth mostly because they fit me well. I'd try on a few pairs. There is a direct correlation between how much you spend and the quality you are getting with boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back