MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO mountain lion hunt clothing?

wisconsinteacher

I'm heading to CO after Christmas and want to start getting my gear purchased sooner rather than later. I have a pair of Crispi Colorado's, gators, good base layer and a few jackets for layering. I also have ice fishing bibs and a parka if needed for riding sleds. My question is pertaining to pants. What pants would you suggest for a cat hunt? I was thinking Kuiu Pro Pants and then put a bottom layer under that.

Lion hunting. Tougher the better, layers are key.
I like my Filson Double pants with tin and cover cloth or Timberlines in the winter

depends on where your going and who your a with for a guide. It can be 50 degrees and no snow or 0 with 3 feet. Prepare for both. Lion hunting is a lot of doing nothing until the dogs track. Once they hit and are on track then it can be 20 minutes or 20 hrs. Layers layers layers. If its cold and snowing but you get on a log uphill nasty track, you'll be sweating no matter what you wear. And yes your KUIU is a good choice.

Belshawelk is right on with his advice. I shot my lion the first week of December 2015 in western Colorado. We had fresh snow, but we were able to get around almost everywhere with my guide's 4x4 pickup. Your walk to the treed cat can be 1/4 mile or several miles, often almost straight up on steep, snowy slopes. Your body heats up fast there.

My outer layer was a Cabella's uninsulated Dry-Plus raincoat and pants. I think that I only had 2 layers under my coat, a long sleeve t-shirt with a fleece shirt over it. I just had long underware under the Cabella's pants. For boots, I wore La Crosse insulated Mountaineer boots with their air-bob tread. I had Gore Tex gaiters over my boots, and the high-tech modern guys will love this...one pair of white cotton socks. :D And, as usual, no hat.

My guide wore a wool jacket and wool pants. I didn't get any more personal as to what he wore under.

Here's when we got back down to his truck,
b5VT839l.jpg

And here's my kitty as I got him back from my taxidermist a couple weeks ago. His location is temporary pending my next house remodel project.
zE8cwbYl.jpg

Thanks guys, I have hunted bear, coyotes and bobcats with hounds. I'm so excited for this hunt!!! I feel like I'm ready to rock. Just need to add another pair of pants to the list and then head west.

Make sure you've used your gaiters in snow before and that they seal well to your boot. My Kuiu and Sitka gaiters don't seal. Only OR crocodiles will seal for me so I quit trying other ones and just get new ones every other year or so. I don't like the Sitka gaiters I have because the quality and design are poor. My Kuius won't seal on me but my hound hunting partner likes them best for his boot set-up.

Good luck. Remember that the hunt is all about the badassery of the dogs and the amazing animal they are chasing.

I have Kuiu gators. Maybe tomorrow I will try my combo out and go look for some deer sign in the fresh snow we got this week.

I'm ready to hear a hound tree!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back