Caribou Gear Tarp

Gear list of mountain lion hunt??

wisconsinteacher

I'm going on a mountain lion hunt at the end of the month. I have the layers of cloths under control, boots, gators, pack and rifle. Are there any items on a hunt like this that I guy forgets about? I have trekking poles and snowshoes as well. I'm going with an outfitter and plan to ask him but I'm just wondering what guys recommend.

The hound guys I went with in college swore by:

960024113-ECOM

Don't gear up too heavy - on the move in deep snow - you don't need/want any extra gear weghing you down. I am a gear hound and learned to shed a lot of it! To quote one houndsman - just take enough that you won't die if left out there all night.

In all seriousness - Layers. Don't underestimate how much time you will spend in a superheated truck cab. There is nothing worse than being slowly roasted to death while Leroy is in Jeans and a T-shirt with his Carhartt covies in the dog box.

I'm going on a mountain lion hunt at the end of the month. I have the layers of cloths under control, boots, gators, pack and rifle. Are there any items on a hunt like this that I guy forgets about? I have trekking poles and snowshoes as well. I'm going with an outfitter and plan to ask him but I'm just wondering what guys recommend.
What state?

Pack boots, good gaiters, lots of water, extra leash on your person can't tell you how many times that was a game changer itself when gathering hounds at night.

Last edited:
What gear/clothing does your outfitter suggest? My cat hunt started as a semi-cold track and, as I would get to the top of one ridge, the dogs would be going over the next. Even though it was cold, I was exerting a lot of energy so I was dressed lightly for the actual chase.

Good luck!

I think a lot will depend on the outfitter and type of hunt. It could be a whole bunch of sitting around in a truck looking for a track or waiting to find one.

A rechargeable hand warmer would be worth considering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back