Will my base layer work for Sep hunt

The cold weather UA baselayers are thick. In September in CO you will sweat profusely in steep terrain in any garment. The thicker the garment, the more you will sweat. In September my choice is a short sleeve merino t shirt with a sitka lightweight hoodie over the top. I take the merino shirt off during mid day, weather depending of course. IMO the thick UA stuff is much better as a midlayer. It provides that much warmth! Investing in the black ovis, or something like the Costco merino layers will make you much more comfortable for very little money. Good luck!

As a primarily midwest whitetail hunter, I've hunted elk in CO in Sept twice, both times with the same poly base layers ive used for years in the deer woods and it worked well. Most of the time it was so hot didn't need any base layer but you never know. I wish I could make the merino base layers work for me but allergy issues prevent me from doing so--I guess I'm stuck living with poly and smelling bad. As others have said if you feel you want merino look at Black Ovis on camofire they just had some good deals earlier this week.....also have seen good sales on merino base layers from LL Bean. My $0.02 from one elk newbie to another is if you have to choose due to budget issues use the base layers you have already and invest in a boots upgrade.

Just go hunt. Wear what you have and make it work.

I hunted all over the U.S. for many years in BDU pants and a LS t shirt, adding a hoody if it's chilly. I carried an insulated vest and rain gear in my pack. Somehow is survived and killed a bunch of game without $ 1000 outfit. I believe base layers were called long johns back in the day. I didn't wear them unless it was COLD. I've upgraded my pant to a set of the Cabelas Microtex that' I bought on sale a couple of years ago. Don't overthink it. Go hunt.

Merino is great, but it’s not a deal breaker... honestly the only thing you need to avoid is cotton. Part of your gear selection depends on your hunting style, if you are doing a backpack hunt you will want lighter higher quality gear, if you are basecamp hunting you can get away with a lot more.

You certainly should have a base layer just in case but most of the time you will not need it in September. Take what you have if money is a concern.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back