Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Will a mother return to a bedded fawn?

DouglasR

I didn’t get a picture, but today at the sand pit there was a very small fawn bedded up on a pile of pea gravel all by itself and it was kinda heartbreaking.
the white spots on its coat really blended in with gravel and it was kinda tucked in between two humps on the top of the pile so I was kinda wondering if the mom might’ve stuck it there for safe keeping with plans of returning tonight?
Everybody was a mess.
Hope it’s ok.

I didn’t get a picture, but today at the sand pit there was a very small fawn bedded up on a pile of pea gravel all by itself and it was kinda heartbreaking.
the white spots on its coat really blended in with gravel and it was kinda tucked in between two humps on the top of the pile so I was kinda wondering if the mom might’ve stuck it there for safe keeping with plans of returning tonight?
Everybody was a mess.
Hope it’s ok.
She will come back as long as you don’t touch it or she is not dead

She will come back as long as you don’t touch it or she is not dead
I wish I would’ve given this more thought earlier today.
The loader operator was talking about trying to run it off at the end of the day so it wouldn’t get hit by a truck, but idk how they would happen because it was on top of a huge pile 🤷‍♂️
It’s a fairly open area, hopefully if he ran her off she beds somewhere nearby and the mother can find him/her.

I wish I would’ve given this more thought earlier today.
The loader operator was talking about trying to run it off at the end of the day so it wouldn’t get hit by a truck, but idk how they would happen because it was on top of a huge pile 🤷‍♂️
It’s a fairly open area, hopefully if he ran her off she beds somewhere nearby and the mother can find him/her.
I think you have nothing to worry about, even if the fawn ran off it is likely to come back in the evening when things settle down. The mother knows where she left her fawn and the fawn will remember the last place they saw their mother.

Should be fine. I expect the doe left the fawn in nearby cover, but Jr. Decided to take a walk. Does are feeding all hours of the day now, stashing the fawns for short periods of time. I’m watching a number of lactating does feeding in my food plots now. A couple are bagged up like a Holstein ! I have not seen any with their fawns yet, which is not unusual.

Saw my first fawn in the food plot yesterday. They starting to let them move around.

Don't be worried, I'm sure momma is there and fawn was just fine. Don't be a Yellowstone idiot

Mom always comes back. Even if you pick up the fawn and move it, mom will come back for it. Mother nature has it all well in hand.

I once had a little fawn follow me around bleating like she thought I was her mother. After several minutes of listening to it I picked her up to comfort her. She snuggled into my chest and proceeded to pee all over me. I put her down and she kept up the racket for another ten minutes or more until mama finally came and claimed her. I doubt she lived very long. If she would walk up to me like that, she would probably do the same with a coyote.

I once had a little fawn follow me around bleating like she thought I was her mother. After several minutes of listening to it I picked her up to comfort her. She snuggled into my chest and proceeded to pee all over me. I put her down and she kept up the racket for another ten minutes or more until mama finally came and claimed her.

Watch it man, those does can get mean! We have a tough old one here that successfully raises twins or triplets every year, she beat the piss out of our dog one day. She chased him for at least 100yds and cornered him against the fence, I had to go save him, he has black fur and you could see the dirty brown hoof prints all up his back.

I believe they will find each other. I was coyote hunting on a ranch in Florida. The ranch had a good population of deer as they were not hunted. I was blowing a fawn distress call. I was amazed at the number of different does that came running into where we were sitting. It was right around the time of year does would have been dropping fawns and stashing them while the does fed.

They will find each other. It is best to let the fawn be. Once in a great while the fawn may have to be moved due to a work situation. The doe will seek out and find the fawn once the area calms down.

how fawns and calves survive. First 2 weeks of life fawns spend very little time moving with mom, if they did they would end up dead as they are not fast enough to out run predators yet

It is amazing how they survive, but they do. This little antelope was laying just off the tire track on a dirt road through a hayfield. I noticed it and was glad I didn’t run over it. We spent several hours out there shooting gophers and when we came back, he was still laying there…

IMG_1477.jpeg

We bumped a couple fawns clearing some of our property last weekend. They ran about 50 yards and laid down. Mom was there within 5 minutes checking on them.

Keep in mind, we didnt touch them.

I almost stepped on a mule deer fawn some years back. It didn’t move a muscle except it’s eyes. It just looked up at me as if to say “please don’t kill me”. I backed away and fished another spot, and just like others said, mama came along shortly.

Everybody was a mess.
Hope it’s ok.
yea

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back