A story of mud, family and a big Montana bull

SixPoint

Hello, fairly new to the forum, have been a lurker for quite sometime. Finally have a story worth sharing. Hope you all enjoy.

My Uncle and I have been hunting Montana’s Breaks Country for nine seasons, and you could say that it has become and annual event that both of us spend the entire year looking forward to. The Breaks to me are an area that is unforgiving, mysterious and on occasion, plentiful. This year was the first year I hadn’t drawn a bull tag; yes, I was one of the unlucky 20% that found the elk permit under the “unsuccessful” column this year, and yes it took several months for me to quit moping around the house feeling sorry for myself. However, my Uncle was more fortunate than I, and was able to pull the tag. With the odds ever decreasing each year, and if you put in long enough, it’s bound to happen. Regardless of my poor attitude just getting the excuse to take a week off of work and chase elk with my Uncle wasn’t even a question. I did purchase an over the counter Elk B tag and coupled with a deer tag it’s not like I didn’t have options.

Driving to Central Montana from Southwest Montana doesn’t take too long, but when you are heading to elk camp it always seems to take an eternity. This year I must have checked the weather update on my phone a hundred times, as it had been forecasted to rain prior to and upon our arrival, which for those of you familiar with what that means for travel in the Breaks, it’s not good. By the time we reached our jump off point where the road goes from improved gravel to unimproved two track the closest weather station was reporting over 1/2” of precip. in the last 24 hours. At this point there is one last farm, and we knocked on the door to see if we could leave my trailer and atv in his equipment yard for a couple of days until things dried out. He said not a problem and then asked if we’d be willing to leave our pickups and drive our atv’s the last 4 miles to camp. We quickly agreed as it dawned on us that he uses this road all winter long to access the stack yard to feed his cattle, and for us to create huge ruts because we were in a rush to get to elk camp would be a very rude thing to do, not to mention give the rancher a bad taste for hunters.

As we unloaded our ATV’s we learned real quick what was essential and what was extra. Our plan was to make multiple trips if the travel was okay, but still you can only pack so much on an ATV. We made it about a 1/4 mile before I looked back and noticed my Uncle wasn’t behind me. I got turned around, and with mud flying went to see what was going on. When I crested the hill I found my Uncle trying to dig out his ATV which was now so encased in gumbo that it had permanently adhered itself to the road. When he put it in low gear or reverse and gave it full throttle it wouldn’t move an inch and would die… not good. Thankfully the configuration of my Honda Foreman didn’t have this problem, so we unloaded most of the gear on mine, doubled up and with mud flying again headed in with even less than half the gear we’d left the trucks with.
IMG_0390.jpg

Thankfully we made it to camp, but with next to no gear. The cabin we stay in sit’s atop a hill and as we neared the top my Uncle motions to kill the engine so we can walk up to the top and glass for elk. We walked the last bit and as we crested the top of the hill we about crapped as there was a pile of elk bedded 100 yards below us, including several mature six point bulls. Not thinking, I tell my uncle to get his bow and we’re going to get him one of these bulls right now. He looks at me as if I’m crazy and motions to his bow which is covered in mud and then I look at us in our carharts covered in mud and it hits me that it would probably not be the best idea to kill an elk right now. As hard as it was for me we left the elk alone and began making trips to get our gear and my Uncle’s ATV unstuck. This took the rest of the afternoon and gave us about a half an hour to glass from the cabin. At least now we would be organized and prepared to hunt the next day. I often need to remind myself that the hunt is more about the stories and the journey than just the harvest. My Uncle and I have a week off of work and for him he’d rather hunt all week and go home empty handed than to shoot a bull the first day and be home early. This decision would turn out to be one of the best one’s he’s ever made.
IMG_0461.jpg
Day one and two of the hunt turned out to be as good as archery elk hunting can be. The elk were around, the bulls were rut-crazed and the weather was cool. We hiked 10-12 miles each day and had several close encounters with bulls, just not any quite close enough or at the right angle for a shot.

Day three was like the switch turned off. The wind direction switched 180 degrees and the temperature started to warm back up again, which was great news for the road and getting our trucks to camp, but terrible news for the elk hunting. We hiked all day exploring new country but we never heard a single bugle. This year we were late due to work schedules so being there the first week of October we had expected things may be quieter than normal. However, when your first two days of hunting are as good as it gets and then to have it shut off just like that, it can crush morale.
IMG_0467.jpg
Day four was similar to the previous in that we never heard a bugle. My Dad, who isn't an archery hunter but likes to spend a few days in camp, joined us in the afternoon. The road had finally dried out enough that we were able to get the trucks in. My Dad can be a lucky hunting charm, especially for my Uncle. I am not sure how this works but the year before my uncle killed a nice six point bull only after my Dad’s presence had been in camp.

Day five we rolled out of bed slowly to turn the alarm off. After hiking nearly 10 miles a day for the past four days and getting up early my Uncle and I were beginning to get worn down, especially since the past two days had been so frustratingly quite in the elk woods. The story I am about to share with you is the very reason you need to get your butt out of bed each and every day and hunt hard regardless of the conditions. You never know what might happen, and as is a favorite saying in our camp “it only takes one”.

Last edited:
As the dull grey sky turned to a dark orange on the eastern horizon we were glassing hard. A small herd with a six point bull was spotted a few miles to our east but the wind direction would be tough, although we were very excited to spot some elk. After several more minutes of glassing my Uncle mentions that he sees a lone elk to our North out in the sagebrush flat. This isn’t unheard of but it’s definitely not the normal direction we chase elk. I get the spotter setup and given the low light conditions and the fact that he’s at least 2 miles away we can tell it’s a nice mature bull all by himself, but thats about it. We watch him for several minutes as he feeds his way east and then begins a steady walk in the direction of two timbered canyons. We circumnavigate to get around the bull and hike at a fast pace to get down into one of the canyons before he gets there. He is heading with the wind and as long as we didn’t spook him we will have a 50/50 shot at being in the right canyon. We setup and wait a while before I let out a couple of cow calls. The decoy is setup to my left and my Uncle is down in the canyon. After 20-30 minutes of light calling and waiting it is obvious that A. we chose the wrong canyon B. the bull has absolutely no interest in my pathetic imitations or C. he hasn’t gotten to us yet. My Dad, Uncle and I convene and it’s obvious morale is draining, it’s looking like it’s going to be one of those days of not hearing a bugle and hiking our butts off trying to find a willing elk.

We decide that before we abandon the canyon we should at least hike up to the knob at the top and have a look around. I go straight for the top, my Uncle swings to the right and my Dad takes a look to the left. I reach the top first and am waiting just below top for the guys to join me. I motion to my uncle that I may have heard a faint bugle in the distance so he heads toward me to get the specifics. Before he gets there I ease up to the top to find my Dad looking through his bino’s, he then turns to me and says he’s spotted the bull just below us about 200 yards away bedded under a tree. No-way. I throw up my bino’s and sure enough through the branches I can see the outline of a big bull bedded under a pine, looking the other direction, and he’s upwind. I now turn to my uncle and give him the hurry your ass up you need to see this wave, which is a short sporadic wave I do with my eyes bulging out of my head. He hit’s the top and we quickly show him the bull. We talk for a minute about strategy; I personally am a big fan of stalking elk, especially if they are solo. I urge my Uncle that this is in my opinion the best option and with the current conditions and cover a perfect setup for a stalk. I have him convinced and he sets off into the timber.

I’m not going to pretend like we are elk experts and that what happened is all due to skill. There are so many small details that could’ve gone wrong and we got so lucky it is ridiculous. For instance, before coming up to the top of the ridge and spotting the bedded bull my Dad tells me that he walked out in the open maybe 150 yards from where the bull was, took a leak and then hiked right up to the top. Why the bull didn’t spot him out in the wide open relieving himself? I have no clue. Or, for that matter, how my Dad even spotted the bull bedded there. We could have easily walked down the ridge and bumped him. All I am saying is that sometimes the stars align or whatever and things work out.

My Dad and I begin to watch the unfolding of what is to become one of the greatest hunting stories we will ever be a part of. We can see the bull and we can see my Uncle who is closing the distance. We are both surprised at how quickly he seems to have closed the gap and it now appears that he is right on top of the bull. We can see them both in the same frame of our bino’s and our hearts begin beating faster as we observe the cat and very large mouse below.

When my Uncle is about 60 yards from the bull and trying to close the last 20 yards the coyotes in the surrounding area decide it is time for their morning howl alarm, and with that the bull stands up turns and locks eyes on my Uncle. At this point I am thinking “well this was fun, but I bet in three seconds this bull is going to blow out of the canyon at the speed of sound”. For whatever reason the bull turns and begins milling around at which point my uncle drops to his knees. The bull then looks back at him and gives him a second good stare down. The bull then starts to move around to the left and in the downwind direction of my Uncle. When the bull disappears into the timber below him I think we have one last shot at this before he busts us, so I grab the cow decoy and run full speed to the edge of the sagebrush flat 75 or so yards below me. Right before I throw up the decoy and let out a cow call I decide I better look one last time to make sure the bull is still absent. When I look through the bino’s I about crap because my Uncle is at full draw. I throw the decoy down and hit the dirt feeling like a complete dumb ass. I get the glass back on him and he is still at full draw, then all of a sudden I hear his arrow release and hit something that doesn’t sound like a tree. Brief crashing ensues and then all was quiet. I sneak back up to where my Dad is and we were like two teenage girls asking if the other had heard the arrow and seen my Uncle but neither of us had seen the elk. Both of us were burning holes in the back of my Uncle as he turned around and gave us a fist pump. When we met up with him at the bottom of the hill it was obvious at the overwhelming emotional rollercoaster that he had just gone through.

This year my Uncle turned 60. He has been an archery hunter for several decades and he has always had aspirations of taking a big bull with a bow. Having this goal and seeing the window of physical capability closing each year put an extra layer of emotion on this bull. The first words out of his mouth were “I think I just shot a really big bull”. He said the bull had came around his left and presented him a perfect broadside shot at about 35 yards. Although he had to hold his bow for a very long time and said he was shaking like a leaf he was able to place an arrow right behind the shoulder where it completely disappeared.

After waiting an hour we quietly went down to where the bull last stood. There was no blood, no arrow and we were beginning to get that gut wrenching feeling of uncertainty when my Dad says “Hey, he’s laying dead right over here”. The bull hadn’t gone 200 yards and had expired on the adjacent slope. As we approached the bull I start to get twitter pated. My mind is running inches and numbers and when my Uncle lifts his head we see that his other side is a seven point and my mind explodes. He’s heavy, long tined, and an enormous 7x with a busted main beam (7th point) on one side. Holy smokes, this is something special.I tend to get very, very excited and I am sure if you ask either of them they’ll tell you I was yapping uncontrollably. I kept asking my Uncle “do you realize how big this bull is”? “do you realize how big this bull is”?

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Standing there on the hill with my Dad and my Uncle looking at a world class elk that we just out foxed was unbelievable. To say that we got lucky is an understatement. But my Uncle needs to get a ton of credit, because he pulled off the stalk, knew when to hold still, when to drop to a knee, when to draw, and of course pulled off a perfect shot.

We were in no hurry and I am a picture maniac so I bet we spent close to an hour taking photos at every angle i could come up with. It’s probably safe to say I may never have the opportunity to photograph a bull of that caliber again.

After not drawing a tag it seems not only embarrassing but comical how childish I was this spring. Reflecting now I can say I had more fun that I could of ever guessed being a part of this story and watching my Uncles success. He always says that to shoot a big one you have to pass up the little ones. I guess it took him nearly half a century of passing up little ones but it sure paid off. Good thing he didn’t let me talk him into shooting one the first day.

IMG_0618.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent result.
As a non bow hunter i have nothing but admiration for the skill in hunting that you possess.
Cheers
Richard

Great story, Logan and awesome bull! That's a giant! Randy and I have visited the Breaks a couple of times and I've found it to be a super tough environment to navigate. Good for you guys for getting out there and facing the elements and coming out on top!

Good story, what an incredible bull! Those are some good photos as well, like the panoramas.

Sounds like a great trip all the way around.

What an amazing bull...

Good to see you posting on here buddy. Thanks for the story.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back