Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

You are correct that more were against it than for it…
That's to bad why put out public comments if your just going to do what you want. I don't see how removing the nr cap is good for residents. But it seams like this is directly tied to the outfitter draw so I am sure they pushed for it. Did they talk about it on day 2?

That's to bad why put out public comments if your just going to do what you want. I don't see how removing the nr cap is good for residents. But it seams like this is directly tied to the outfitter draw so I am sure they pushed for it. Did they talk about it on day 2?
Some yes and the vote was day two. Before public comment however. Edited to add: I think they did take public comment on the cap a few meetings ago as well, could look back at the meeting materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a sad sad situation. The outfitters will get all the NR tags and them they will go after the resident tags. How much more capable can you possibly be in the opinion of the almighty WYGOA…I wish you well Wyoming residents. My dreams are destroyed, I hope you can pull yours out of the death spin coming.

As a NR I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with residents wanting 90/10 split and would send a public in favor of this all day everyday. What I don't like as a NR which imo, I am "entitled" to feel, is NR's gaining/losing 50% of tags bc they choose to use or not use a service offered.

I put entitled in quotes bc I don't feel entitled to anything as a NR (or as a person for that matter) but no other person should feel entitled either.

Will follow this and submit public comment when able. Thanks to all who are fighting the fight on the ground.
Very much this.

The outfitter welfare aspect is very disheartening.

Anybody analyzed what 90-10 might do to Wyoming general season points required to draw a general elk? Won’t it be like 8-10 points if this goes through? I could be way off. Would need to run the numbers and I haven’t had a chance to do that. I got max elk anyway. Maybe I will need that to draw general? Lol

Anybody analyzed what 90-10 might do to Wyoming general season points required to draw a general elk? Won’t it be like 8-10 points if this goes through? I could be way off. Would need to run the numbers and I haven’t had a chance to do that. I got max elk anyway. Maybe I will need that to draw general? Lol
General tags for nr will become region tags. That's a whole new ballgame.

Just make it a good one, 'cuz it will likely be your last. :(

Probably should start thinkin' 'bout takin' up golf, soon. ;)

Is it human nature to just gratuitously mess with anything resembling anything good these days? The whole western hunting situation of excessively disruptive regulation/quota/outfitter rule changes is starting to feel like a kid finding a bird’s egg and throwing it against a wall just to see what’s inside. You might answer the question, but no going back once that regret hits.

Under a single cap scenario 90/10 isn’t your enemy for general elk. With less LE tags making up the first pass on 7250, there would have been more general NR elk tags.

50% set aside outfitter tags however -- especially with no governor on guided hunters coming out of the other 50% -- would dramatically affect draw odds for a regular, unguided nonresident elk hunter.

As JM said, removal of 7250 and installing regional caps is a whole new world. The department said Thursday that they need time to consider how that would work. It would make sense to me that the TF would want that information before voting to change the current system, but here we are. It would create new tag numbers most obviously, but also a whole new incentive structure around what makes a certain region desirable.

There's no way it won't result in more nonresident elk tags overall. It was suggested initially that at least 1000+ more. That doesn't mean it'll be easier for John Doe NR to draw in a region you actually want to hunt (unguided). Just like patterns we see with regional deer and unit by unit antelope tags, I expect that elk regions with large chunks of public land will have extremely high demand. Maybe even somewhat independent of trophy quality.

To clarify, removal of the 7250 cap and regionalizing NR general elk tags passed as a recommendation to the commission. It would not be implemented until passed by the commission.

90/10 for DEA in resident "high demand only" units, outfitter set asides, resident priority on leftover tags, and a resident waiting period or pseudo preference system are in the mix as one package. That is what will be coming out for comment soon and eventually a vote (likely August) in the TF for recommendation to the legislature.

I think some members of the Taskforce have heard the concerns about public comment and are trying to do better with getting information out.

I really don’t understand all of how this proposal works, but i would think that general/regional tags would become a fair bit harder to draw at least for a few years with how few LQ tags would be available to diy hunters. I would speculate that those like myself with 10 points would be pretty much out of the LQ pool and general would be the only real option(still a good tag to have in WY). Definitely wishing I would’ve put in with my brother now for this fall and burned points. Lol. It is what it is. Maybe I’m reading this wrong though.

I think it’s pretty hard to predict how all of this will shake out. I think I’m general terms, the NR DIY guy is going to take a hit.

There are a lot of folks with a lot of points, and if pricing goes up and they start dumping more than they have, 7-8 points for a regional tag could be a reality.

It’s 2022, it was time they joined the modern age. I present to you the Wyoming preference point of the future.

It’s hard to view this as that much of a negative for non-residents to be honest. Once the Task Force got their momentum, it became clear 90/10 for D/E/A and other unpleasant changes were on the horizon.

It sucks to see Wyoming hunting get more expensive and less able to be enjoyed DYI, but at least this way a NR will be able to go hunting more often. If this is how things are going to go down, they may as well go down hard and fast and increase NR availability.

Can’t change it, may as well learn to live with it.

B8695850-ABD2-4C47-B201-F8CD0C56563F.jpeg

Last edited:
40% of the nr tags gone off the top
Elk will be 90/10 for everything but some outlier bighorn areas and some wilderness areas
7250 cap goes away so there won't be a requirement to increase gen tags
3 year wait and about zero chance at a 2nd choice

I can't wait for that increased hunting opportunity

40% of the nr tags gone off the top
Elk will be 90/10 for everything but some outlier bighorn areas and some wilderness areas
7250 cap goes away so there won't be a requirement to increase gen tags
3 year wait and about zero chance at a 2nd choice

I can't wait for that increased hunting opportunity
still doesn't sound as bad as Oregun

OR still has some unlimited OTC hunting, both east and west sides. If I was a nr and Elk was priced at maybe $300 total, I'd do it every year rather than sit at home. I did broach the idea of raising the nr quota to 10% and it didn't go over very well.

OR still has some unlimited OTC hunting, both east and west sides. If I was a nr and Elk was priced at maybe $300 total, I'd do it every year rather than sit at home. I did broach the idea of raising the nr quota to 10% and it didn't go over very well.
I’d be all for 10% NR and no outfitter set aside here in OR. It would be nice if that was just the standard in all states, and that was that. Everybody agrees to it, and nobody messes with it. Probably lots of reasons why that wouldn’t work, but it seems fair.

Back