Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

Interesting times at the Wyoming Outfitter Task Force!

They ask for online public comment on two subjects and give you two days to get your comments in. It's doubtful how many actually read the few comments they get, so if you attend and comment, you get grilled if they don't like what you said. Some even get up and walk out on certain people who comment regularly, like you have worn out your welcome. One task force member outed a public commenter as a federal employee and insinuated a connection with his job and comments!

So, on to the Great Compromise. Outfitters are ruling the day here with a 50% set-aside drawing for their clients. Residents are getting 90/10 DEA on hard to draw areas only, 30% odds or less has been mentioned. It's amazing how a set-aside changes all the harm done by 90/10 to the states economy and G&F revenue, to residents actually may spend more money on hunting trips than NR!

Almost forgot, all NR license fees go to special price.

I’m a bit biased, but I don’t see where an outfitter should get a set aside tag for any species in any unit ever. Every non resident who applies for a species and unit should go into the same pool for that species and unit, and then they have the freedom to elect to hire an outfitter once they draw. Oversimplification? Maybe..don’t care though.

They ask for online public comment on two subjects and give you two days to get your comments in. It's doubtful how many actually read the few comments they get, so if you attend and comment, you get grilled if they don't like what you said. Some even get up and walk out on certain people who comment regularly, like you have worn out your welcome. One task force member outed a public commenter as a federal employee and insinuated a connection with his job and comments!

So, on to the Great Compromise. Outfitters are ruling the day here with a 50% set-aside drawing for their clients. Residents are getting 90/10 DEA on hard to draw areas only, 30% odds or less has been mentioned. It's amazing how a set-aside changes all the harm done by 90/10 to the states economy and G&F revenue, to residents actually may spend more money on hunting trips than NR!

JM, thanks for the update. I'm sure this is frustrating for you and others who've spent a lot of time and effort trying to prevent this kind of stuff from happening in Wyoming.

Is this set in law now or is there still a process?

Trying to follow the best I can.

Guess I shouldn't be buying more points as a NR
Don’t worry you should have plenty of opportunity to use them for doe or cow tags. Maybe a general season bull as long as you go with an outfitter

I’m trying to figure this out too. Would definitely be a game changer for my plans there.

The task force is providing recommendations to the legislature, which would have to pass them for them to go into effect.

So it’s a long way from over.

If the outfitters have the task force on board with this crazy proposal I don't think they are going to wait the outfitters will push to get this through asap while they think the have support. keep a close eye and be ready to object I will be sending emails to my representatives it might not due much but worth a shot.

Outfitters and large ranch owners own Wyoming politics. If they want something it will happen.

So great the Wyoming residents needed more opportunity and now we’re ending up with tons of outfitter welfare, increased prices etc. I hope the residents are happy staring at a few more sets of antlers and horns over it all.
How about you head on over to Rokslide where you belong.

These ideas I have mentioned are supposed to go to public comment for the next meeting. We will see. TF took some heat on public comment or lack there of. When this comes out on the website, there needs to be a giant response from everyone possible.

What gets me more than anything is the dealing they are doing over these issues. These ideas should be addressed on their own merit, individually, not in some ridiculous grand compromise.

The task force is providing recommendations to the legislature, which would have to pass them for them to go into effect.

So it’s a long way from over.
Some of these ideas are being provided to the Commissioners for regulation change. It's closer to over than you think.

Makes me sad, with these changes my kids will likey never be able to hunt WY. They are 8 and 10 and will never catch the point creep when they are eligible to start applying. The only chance they have to participate is to move there for college.

I love WY and wish we could move there. Unfortunately, it is not in the cards for us.

Back