Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

BuzzH

The initial 2 day meeting of the 18 member task force is in the books. Ground rules were set, introductions were made, and a list of items to address was presented. Within that list, there was a ranking of priority that I didn't get a photo of, but should be available on the website soon.

The list, written notes are mine, I think I captured MOST of the changes:

IMG_20210617_213107389.jpg

IMG_20210617_213537965.jpg

So, the Chairman was voted on and that position went to Rusty Bell, Co-Chairman position went to Josh Coursey.

Right out of the gate today, the top issues were voted on and 90-10 for the "big 5" (moose, sheep, goat, bison, and grizzly) was the top priority. A motion was made to have a recommendation move on 90-10 prior to the upcoming legislative session. That passed with unanimous consent with details to be worked out between now and July.

Testimony was given by several folks, and Sy Gilliland with WOGA went on record in full support of 90-10 in some form for those species. Still debate on making those species once in a life-time in addition to 90-10 and if changes to preference points for those need a change as well.

The task force seems intent on getting a 90-10 bill in front of the legislature for the 2022 session. IMO, I think the recommendation of the task force is going to hold a huge amount of sway with the legislature. The legislature also is really anxious to get this issue behind them. In the meantime, there will be opportunity for the public to comment. I can sense a strong tail-wind picking up momentum to get 90-10 for the big 5 to the legislature...the remaining issues, including 90-10 for deer, elk, pronghorn and some others, will be much more contentious I think and much harder to come to a recommendation.

What was the most disappointing was the poor showing by Resident Sportsmen at the in person meeting. I don't know how many weighed in via zoom. I tried to keep a few people (including Randy) up to date on what was happening yesterday and today.

In the meantime, the task force members are encouraging public comment on all of these issues...and per always, those that show up, get heard. Those that don't...they eat dust.

For the record, myself, JM77, and mulecreek from hunttalk were all in attendance...and I hope both fill in some details and their thoughts about the task force.
Buzz again thanks for all your leadership for wyoming sportsman. I am surprised the 90-10 went so easy on big5... I think the other tags will be the fight from outfitters. Any discussion on fees yet? My real question is how are these being brought to the legislator? Will hicks present bill as supported by committee?

Buzz again thanks for all your leadership for wyoming sportsman. I am surprised the 90-10 went so easy on big5... I think the other tags will be the fight from outfitters. Any discussion on fees yet? My real question is how are these being brought to the legislator? Will hicks present bill as supported by committee?
I would guess so, and the TRW chair is also on the task force so by the time it gets to a committee hearing, she will be well versed in 90-10. That should make it easier to pass out of committee. There are 3 other legislators on the committee (including Hicks) and 2 others were in attendance part of the day yesterday.

I assume it will be Hicks that carries the bill again...he's been the one that's brought it forward since the beginning.

I agree, the remaining issues will be "interesting" to watch...

Also, keep in mind the only thing the task force is going to/can do is make RECOMMENDATIONS to either the GF Commission or Legislature depending on which body can fix the issue. Anything proposed still has to go through the public process.

These are NOT foregone conclusions, but the task force was appointed with support from the Legislature and the Governors Office to solve what they can over the next 18 months. Their recommendations are going to carry weight.

Last edited:
Prior to the task force I was getting fairly good info that the "big 5", as they are now being called, were going 90/10. The outfitters have other things on their mind and those contentious ideas are going to bring much heated discussion at future meetings.

Something that struck me as interesting were comments made by a former legislator, during a break, that went through receiving hundreds of emails from NR against a past 90/10 bill. Apparently, this was motivation to get 90/10, in some form resolved, to prevent these future email crashes on a yearly basis. Rising support from resident hunters statewide, is obviously making a difference with this issue.

For the record, myself, JM77, and mulecreek from hunttalk were all in attendance...and I hope both fill in some details and their thoughts about the task force.
What am I? Chopped liver?! 😉

To be fair, I was on the clock to be there.

Personally, I was surprised at how interested in making good recommendations the team was. Quite the statement to put Rusty Bell (Taxidemist/County Commiss, Gillette) and Josh Coursey (Muley Fanatics, Green River) as co-chairs. I think both have real good intentions and I know both have been talking to sportsmen about issues the task force will tackle already this year.

The Federation will be putting out a press release/article today on first impressions, as well.

the 90-10 issue isnt a fair shake for the thousands of non residents that have invested thousands in money in buying points to compete for those few tags,,,if wyoming thinks they can make it without all the non resident moneys then have at it..the task force can recomend what they want,,but if game and fish look at the non res money,i think that money talks.non res are building up 20 points at $100 a year for even a micro chance at drawing a "big 5" tag,,,thats $2000 per non res applicant for even a chance,,let alone the non res tag price itself...i dont think the rug should be pulled out of all the applicants that are non res.

I thought I would be more upset when things more officially moved to 90/10, but I'm not.

I've been battling whether or not to continue with trying for moose in WY as a nonresident. I have many years' worth of points built up, but the cost has gotten quite high (likely to get higher in the future), and it would be many years before I'd pull a tag from the preference point pool, if ever. Add to that, family responsibilities, I was leaning towards quitting this year. Seeing how it will no doubt go 90/10, it confirms my decision to drop out. It is actually a relief to me to get out of the game. Just hard to give up on the dream.

This is a good thing for resident hunters. Nonresidents should be happy that there are even up to 10% of tags allocated for them for these special species.

Thank you Buzz and others for the work that you do with all these issues. It'll be interesting to see what else comes from this task force and how quickly things get moved into practice.

the 90-10 issue isnt a fair shake for the thousands of non residents that have invested thousands in money in buying points to compete for those few tags,,,if wyoming thinks they can make it without all the non resident moneys then have at it..the task force can recomend what they want,,but if game and fish look at the non res money,i think that money talks.non res are building up 20 points at $100 a year for even a micro chance at drawing a "big 5" tag,,,thats $2000 per non res applicant for even a chance,,let alone the non res tag price itself...i dont think the rug should be pulled out of all the applicants that are non res.
Let's talk about how Oregon treats the NR. This is the same tired conversation...

For 6e and 6f would that be for non residents in general units? Would it make it more like the bighorn le units where you have to choose a type 1 OR a type 9 tag? Because that would be cool with this non resident.

Also a comment on 3h, with the mapping apps, the info on the hunt planner I don’t really see how that should be anyone in Wyoming’s fault and deserving of the task forces time.

Good luck, hopefully I got this question in before it turns in to a pissing match about supporting small communities with non resident money…(edit) guess I need to type faster

Hey Buzz, is Mountain Pursuit/Rob Shaul in your task force? I heard he is a WY resident hunter who wants to keep out non resident hunters too. Maybe y’all can collaborate on this.

I get why residents want 90/10 for the Wyo big 5. I can support that and think it should be that way. I also think they should be Once in a lifetime, retroactive if you've ever drawn before.

I hope that the elk,deer and pronghorn stay the way they are.

I get why residents want 90/10 for the Wyo big 5. I can support that and think it should be that way. I also think they should be Once in a lifetime, retroactive if you've ever drawn before.

I hope that the elk,deer and pronghorn stay the way they are.
Very likely moose, sheep and grizzly are going OIL, goat and bison already are. May see pp/random go to different allocation, possibly 50/50. Lots to discuss next month.

What am I? Chopped liver?! 😉

To be fair, I was on the clock to be there.

Personally, I was surprised at how interested in making good recommendations the team was. Quite the statement to put Rusty Bell (Taxidemist/County Commiss, Gillette) and Josh Coursey (Muley Fanatics, Green River) as co-chairs. I think both have real good intentions and I know both have been talking to sportsmen about issues the task force will tackle already this year.

The Federation will be putting out a press release/article today on first impressions, as well.
Sorry, was late when I posted that and in my elderly state these days, lucky if I remember to tie my shoes...good to catch up and great you were in attendance.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back