Yeti GOBOX Collection

Why Don't People Want to Work?

Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.

Everyone has brought up great points. I work 2 jobs, I'm in a Mgmt role at both places, the one is a factory that employs 68,000 worldwide . .the wages at the entry level position are in the neighborhood of $18.00 + an hour. . .its hot, and the pace is pretty fast and in that business. . its survival of the fittest, so, if you can't keep up. . .well, people are dying to get a job there. . .plenty of others to replace you if you don't want to show up for work etc. My other job is at a "Midwest chain" of farm/sporting goods/pets/clothing/ etc store. We have several employees who are possibly the laziest people I have ever met. . .19-25 yr olds that just have zero work ethic, calling in all the time, playing the point system, stealing, pushing work off on everyone else, hiding out of cameras view, chit like that. I feel like a babysitter in there at night. I just think that most could care less if they work or not, because, they can get fired and sit at home playing video games, smoking whatever, and still get a check that really isn't too much different than if they were actually working. I think the whole system of these handouts and such have made it too easy, thus, making people so damn lazy!!! I could replace some of them with a bag of sand. . .and I'm serious, I'd get as much work out of them. I think that even if we were paying them $20/hr, that these kids today 16-28 yr olds, would still not give anymore effort, its just that they have this entitlement mentality and most learned from their lazy parents. . .ok, stepping down now. . .:D

I wish I had an answer to the original question. I agree with RUT J. I'll try to not paint with too broad of a brush, but it is an entitlement mentality. Whether this is govt. or parents enabling poor behavior and work ethic, people learn or chose to take the path of least resistance/effort and have no qualms about doing so. There used to be stigmas associated with this sort of behavior, but they are now gone.

It has become acceptable in our society to be proud of getting by with the least effort possible. Hard work is for fools. "Don't work so hard, you are making your coworkers look bad" (My former roommate was told this by his union steward)

That is why I couldn't be more proud of my daughter. As an 18 year old who just completed her 1st year of college, she is working three different jobs this summer to support herself and college tuition. (CNA at a nursing home which includes wiping butts, nanny, and donating/selling plasma). I would like to think she has learned her work ethic from her parents, but she deserves the credit as she is doing everything she can to support herself.

She has secured student loans to pay for college. We will help her where we can, but she knows it is HER future and she sees the direct correlation between hard work and success. (She has earned a 4.0 in college and has seen additional scholarship opportunities and knows her grades and work history will garner her the best post college job offers)

I could go on and on about how great she is, but I will get off my soap box. It is unfortunate and sad that in my daughters generation, people such as my daughter have become the exception rather than the rule.

I was just talking about this topic with some family. My sister in law has been trying to find someone to watch her kids a couple of days a week for the summer. "Watch" is probably an over-statement. Boys are 13 and 10. They mostly need a driver to get them to the pool/park, and to some activities. She provides a pool pass (if the driver does not already have one - pool is a major employer family benefit), $$ for food and gas, and still pays them $9/hr. She asked a couple of kids, including my neighbor's 17 year old son, and has been told, in no uncertain terms, that "Minimum wage isn't worth my time". This is from a kid who does not have a job, and has not intention of looking for a job. Then, my neighbor posts on Facebook (proudly) that her son prefers to buy his clothing at Brooks Brothers, and wants it tailored. My question was: what does a 17 year old need with tailored clothing, and who is paying? Mom and Dad.

Last edited:
I don't know how many resumes I've looked at from 20-22yo engineering students. Very few have ever had a job, maybe 1 out of 10 had any sort of job much less a relevant one. Listed in the work experience is usually some sport. I guess "playing" is now considered work. Seems like children are given everything and know nothing about earning it!

I wish I had an answer to the original question. I agree with RUT J. I'll try to not paint with too broad of a brush, but it is an entitlement mentality. Whether this is govt. or parents enabling poor behavior and work ethic, people learn or chose to take the path of least resistance/effort and have no qualms about doing so. There used to be stigmas associated with this sort of behavior, but they are now gone.

It has become acceptable in our society to be proud of getting by with the least effort possible. Hard work is for fools. "Don't work so hard, you are making your coworkers look bad" (My former roommate was told this by his union steward)

That is why I couldn't be more proud of my daughter. As an 18 year old who just completed her 1st year of college, she is working three different jobs this summer to support herself and college tuition. (CNA at a nursing home which includes wiping butts, nanny, and donating/selling plasma). I would like to think she has learned her work ethic from her parents, but she deserves the credit as she is doing everything she can to support herself.

She has secured student loans to pay for college. We will help her where we can, but she knows it is HER future and she sees the direct correlation between hard work and success. (She has earned a 4.0 in college and has seen additional scholarship opportunities and knows her grades and work history will garner her the best post college job offers)

I could go on and on about how great she is, but I will get off my soap box. It is unfortunate and sad that in my daughters generation, people such as my daughter have become the exception rather than the rule.

Barebow, you have obviously raised her the right way. . .good for you and congrats to her. I also have a 16yr old daughter who is super busy with dance 3 nights a week, ball games, practice, and still works a few nights a week as a waitress. . .and just yesterday recieved high honors in English,high honors in math, exemplary attendance, and quick key award for being the fastest typing in all of the business classes combined, and is a straight A student . . .since 1st grade. . .to say that I'm proud is a huge understatement. I know there are good kids out there, I do have a few that are great workers, but, the bad workers outweigh them by a ton. I wish I knew what motivated some of them and not the others.

I don't know how many resumes I've looked at from 20-22yo engineering students. Very few have ever had a job, maybe 1 out of 10 had any sort of job much less a relevant one. Listed in the work experience is usually some sport. I guess "playing" is now considered work. Seems like children are given everything and know nothing about earning it!

Bambistew, I just went through some apps on Sunday and you are spot on with that. . .zero work history. . .I mean 25yrs old and zero work experience? How is that possible? Most of their attitudes are crap too. They don't know how good they have it working at the store, they wouldn't last a day at my factory I guarantee that. I've had some of them ask me to get them on at the factory where they can " make some big money", I tell them they wouldn't make it to payday. . .and they wouldnt. Sad.

Well...the good news for entry level forensic accountant/gestapo grads is the IRS will be hiring.

before you guys all lump the next generation into being malingers, remember what was thought of your generation when you were entering the work force.

Just a quick question, what generation raised all these kids?

Nemont

"Each new generation born is in effect an invasion of civilization by little barbarians, who must be civilized before it is too late."- Thomas Sowell

If I was one of my three kids growing up today, I would be the laziest dude in America. The current leadership have mortgaged my kids and grand kids future and now want them to work hard to pay for the boomer generation? Why would a kid want to reward people who look down on them like you guys do with their labor?

FWIW I have three kids all are hard workers. My oldest in in Pharmacy school and has put herself through school with Scholarships, working and being an RA, My senior, who will graduate HS in a 10 days, is No. 1 in her class, has gotten the University System full tuition Scholarship and a multitude of others is going into the nursing program, she was all State Volleyball, 2nd Team All conference Basketball and has done over 200 hours of community service and works 20 hours a week as a waitress. My son has worked after school for three years, 5 nights a week and on Saturday morning and all summer average 50 hours in the summer stocking parts at an implement dealer While keeping a 4.0 gpa and playing sports .

What you describe is a failure of parenting.

Again what generation raised the 20 to 30 year olds?

Nemont

Last edited:
before you guys all lump the next generation into being malingers, remember what was thought of your generation when you were entering the work force.

Just a quick question, what generation raised all these kids?

Nemont

The ones that made blacks drink from a separate fountain? No, shoot, that was the greatest generation........

The generation that spit on soldiers and dodged war?

I worked for Terminix for 8 years and trained most of the new people at the branch I worked at, most of them I would have fired before the first day was over if it would have been up to me.
When I left them and started my own Pest Control Company I had already decided that I didn't want any employees, I do fine working by myself.

Kevin

Nothing screams "I'm a cranky old man" faster than berating the younger generation. The days of slaving away with manual labor are fading and technology is advancing. Youth realizes this and many times, it is much better to work smarter than to work harder.

Nothing screams "I'm a cranky old man" faster than berating the younger generation. The days of slaving away with manual labor are fading and technology is advancing. Youth realizes this and many times, it is much better to work smarter than to work harder.

Exactly what I have to deal with everyday...

Please, PLEASE, tell me how technology is advancing a faster way to hang 4'x12' drywall on a ceiling, other than 2 humans picking it up and screwing it.

PS. I'm 35.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back