Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Why Don't People Want to Work?

idnative1948

Talked to my SIL this afternoon who owns his own business and this is his BUSY time of year (small engine repair) for lawnmowers. Has three employees, a couple in the shop and one on the counter. He is having as high as two of them call in during the week and/or not coming in at all so he is trying to do it all just to keep his commercial accounts. He is going to reach out to some of the tech schools in the area to see if any of them have some smart kids that want to work. Working six twelves is starting to take its toll.
Any of you other small business owners ever wonder why you did it?
End of rant.

That's the reason Mcdonalds is always hiring. When you aren't hiring "top shelf" employees you have to constantly cycle them. Two written warnings, and you're fired.

Small business owners tend to be far more loyal to their empoyees, than their employees are to them.

It is a constant battle my wife has with her company. Simply, it is very challenging to hire good employees for modest wages. Even implementing an incentive program with very clear goals and guidelines has proved to be challenging.

I guess the larger companies have more capacity financially to hold onto the really good employees and the smaller guys always battle with employees, their productivity and duration of employment. Its the same over here, wages to a degree dictate the quality of the people who will be employed.

Good luck with the recruitment.

Because public assistance is a competing cottage industry.

Flame away...

If by public assistance, you mean baby boomers that spoil their children, I agree.

Just about every apprentice we get between the ages of 18-24 is driving a car their parents bought for them. 99% of them still live at home, and their mother packs their lunch.

No BS.

Work at a well known Dairy plant. Land O Lakes. Starting pay for summer help is $19 an hour and we have students come in, work until their 1st break and then never see them again. They punch out and quit. Some of the jobs are boring, tedious and just not a lot of fun, but $19 an hour isn't chicken feed in this neck of the woods. Guess they just don't know what work is.

Guess they just don't know what work is.

I think this is the main reason for issues like this. Many don't know what work is, and that's because parents don't give kids jobs anymore. This also leads to a lack of family activities. When my wife was growing up, weekends were spent at her grandparents helping them with their small farm. When I was a kid weekends were spent doing large yardwork projects, helping my Dad with his cabin or other large scale activities that took the entire weekend.

I don't think many understand or appreciate a hard days work, whether it's physical or sitting at a desk. In some ways it's hard to fault them for it, many just don't know any better.

I agree, the work ethic in the young people of today doesn't seem to be there like it was 15-20 years ago. But terms and conditions are a big factor with holding employees.
I work for an organisation where i get 5 weeks annual leave pay a year, 6 weeks if i work 10 weekend shifts, which i do. Then i get 12 RDO's (rostered days off) these are paid and can be used anytime in whatever amount i need, same with annual leave, can take a day here or there whenever. I build annual leave from the day i start, same with RDO's and sick leave. I get 14 days sick leave a year, paid, and once i have been at the one organisation for 5 years my sick leave goes up to 21 days a year. After 10 years i have built up 17 weeks of long service, which is fully paid and can be taken whenever i want, even in half pay to make it 34 weeks. I can take a week at a time if need be, whenever, and this long service keeps building every 5 years by a further 9 weeks. I self roster and just need to work 10 days out of the working 14. So can create a few days off as needed, without using annual leave or RDO's.
With these conditions i would be crazy to leave and move elswhere for a couple of dollars an hour increase, so i guess if employees get looked after, then they are more inclined to stay, at least from my perspective.
I have worked two jobs since i was 15, and 22 years later i still continue to work two jobs, its the way i was brought up.

Boy did you open up a can of worms. I agree with most. We have become a society of entitlement. If we don't earn it the government will provide it. How many people out there are getting those free "Obama phones". Terrorists in Boston live with benefits totaling $100,000.00 in the past years. Not working and driving Mercedes. If I can not do it the GOVERNMENT will provide kit for me, mentality. Better stop before I have an aneurism,

good luck to all
the dog

I always find it funny when a business hires people at $8/hour and expects a $25/hour commitment/production out of them. Doesn't happen. You get what you pay for.

People do not work because they do not have enough to lose by not working. Did you happen to look at what the percentage of increase there is in those getting food stamps in the last couple years?? And the gang of 8 say we need to import more low skill and high skill workers. I guess the only ones unemployed on food stamps are "mid skilled":rolleyes:

I don't get how Government has anything to do with 30 year old WASP's that play video games all night, and when they show up for work they spend an hour per day looking at their phones...

I don't get how Government has anything to do with 30 year old WASP's that play video games all night, and when they show up for work they spend an hour per day looking at their phones...

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Seriously, in 18 years of working as a carpenter, I've probably seen a couple hundred deadbeat co-workers/employees come and go. I can honestly say 1, that's 1, had a girlfriend that was getting welfare.

Meanwhile, the biggest losers/drunks/drug addicts are children of upper middle class parents.

Again, no BS.

I always find it funny when a business hires people at $8/hour and expects a $25/hour commitment/production out of them. Doesn't happen. You get what you pay for.

True, i've had jobs where the owner thought they were doing you a favor by letting you come in to work for povertyvlevel wages and then expect 60 hours a week. But I've seen the opposite as well. Dad used to pay above industry average in hopes of retaining folks. Many years he couldn't keep folks around because the work was hot, demanding and brutal. The guys who did stick got jobs through the year even though he was a seasonal employer ( paving contractor).

It goes both ways.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Word.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back