Why do you like your gaiters?

I've worn out 3 or 4 different sets of Kuiu gaiters. They just didn't last. I realize Im tough on gear, but I finally gave up on them. I like them but it doesn't do me any good if they don't last. Prior to that I tried Outdoor Vision Gaiters. They didn't even last one trip. I've been wearing Peax this year and so far and I don't have any complaints. I guess check back with me in 2 years for a real opinion but so far so good.

Sg gators.

I think I have had them for four or five years now and have done 5-10 hunts a year. Still in great shape. My favorite attribute about them is the adjustment in the calf. I have skinny legs and I can get them tight on my leg from ankle to top of my calf.

i've had the issue of really not being able to keep my OR gaiters tight around my upper calf. they've still done their job though. i'll need to put that on the list to check out. but, unfortunately it's hard for me spend money when something is at least doing it's job.

I wear a pair of Sitka Thunderhead gaiters during archery season because they are super quiet. If it's super wet or deep snow I'll go with kenetreks. I do have a pair of peaks I want to try but just haven't yet. Maybe on a cow hunt in Wyoming later this year.

I’ve had Outdoor Research and Kuiu. Great warranty service on both - basically wore out the bottom velcro on the ORs, had some non essential stitching come loose on the Kuius… OR seem to be better made, Kuiu a little quieter. I like the bottom closure button of Kuiu rather than the OR Velcro.

I don't have any personal experience with them but T&K's gaiters are supposed to be really nice and they're USA made if that makes any difference to you.
I was just looking at those last week. They look awesome. They probably are. Buy once cry once price.

Kenetrek freebies work well for me. This shit clinging to FirstLite pant makes way more noise than my gaiters rubbing together…

IMG_0771.jpeg

OR crocs have been great. When they wear out I’ll get the stone glacier gaiters

The SG look great, but why don't they have some sort of closure at the bottom? Maybe this picture answers that question - probably beat to hell on a goat hunt and only pulled loose that much...

SG.JPG

I don’t like gaiters. They are just one more thing that gets wet, makes noise, comes undone, gets snagged on stuff, to put on, etc., etc. Good socks, good boots, and pants are sufficient. If I hunted around venomous snakes then I’d deal with all the annoyances of gaiters.

Last edited:
The SG look great, but why don't they have some sort of closure at the bottom? Maybe this picture answers that question - probably beat to hell on a goat hunt and only pulled loose that much...

View attachment 298662
I have gone 10+ miles in mine in calf deep snow on my goat hunt and never had an issue. They probably looked about like that at the end of the day.

I don’t like gators. They are just one more thing that gets wet, makes noise, comes undone, gets snagged on stuff, to put on, etc., etc. Good socks, good boots, and pants are sufficient. If I hunted around venomous snakes then I’d deal with all the annoyances of gators.

mountain hunting in mid calf deep snow or more... it's hard to imagine how one could get through a day without gaiters.

I'm a gaiter freak! Been wearing em for years. Back home in the high country the best around were OR's. Wore out two pair of those. I now have some from Kuiu that seem pretty durable. Bowhunting around here they are noisy but they keep the clingons out, and right now they frustrate the ticks! End of October and I am worrying about ticks!

This has been a thread to make HT proud. Great info! Looking at it all, I'll probably just get a pair of OR Crocs. They seem tough and like they'd fit my leg shape (and I have a way to get their stuff at a big discount).
I mainly wear them for skiing and hunting out west. Around here, I'm so sensitive to noisy clothing for my hunting style, that I use a rather unorthodox brand of gaiters, as shown here by Hal Blood, the celebrated guide from Maine. It works surprisingly well...

Screenshot 2023-10-25 150241.png

One of the better things about gaiters to me is they allow you to wade through water to cross a creek over the top of your boots without getting your feet wet. Another thing is I wear wool pants and they keep the unhemmed bottoms from balling up with snow and ice. I have been wearing Kenetreks for a few years and I tend to tear the bottom straps off in down timber but after I rivet them back on, they hold up decent. I would probably tear up most brands though. As long as they are free, I won't experiment with others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back