Why do you like your gaiters?

Dougfirtree

I'm in the market for a new pair of gaiters. In a perfect world, they'd go hunting sometimes, skiing sometimes, hiking sometimes... They'd be a drab color, tough and they wouldn't be super noisy either, if they rub against each other. And they need to be able to fit around legs that are not skinny!

What do you use? Do you like them?

Kennetreck only thing I like is they work if I didn’t have 6 pairs from buying the boots over the years I’d have a kuiu set they look way nicer

I have both First Lite gaiters. Both serve a purpose and have proven well.

The Brambles are for the snow, and they make your legs awfully sweaty in mild weather. They’re noisy but they keep the snow out. Super durable.

The smaller ones are kind of a pain to put on with the Velcro and button but they keep the thorns and twigs out. Very quiet.

I mainly use gaiters to keep snow out of my boots. If I am not concerned with noise, OR Crocodile gaiters are tough to beat. I had a pair of KUIU gaiters that I liked. Unfortunately, they lost a battle with with a strand of barbwire that was hidden in the snow. I am now using my brother’s spare pair of Kennetreks. They seem close to, but not quite as nice as the KUIUs. I will probably get another pair of KUIUs.

I also have a set short set of OR Rocky Mountain Lows that I will sometimes use just to keep stuff out of low hikers.

I’m in Texas, so my gaiters are snakeproof, not snowproof. But they’re also great for keeping my legs safe from cactus as well as keeping my bootlaces tied.

Had KUIU that tore through around the stitching of the boot strap on first hike out. Returned those and bought First Lite. Happy with them after 6 years, using about 10-15x /yr. They have met all the requirements you listed. Only 2 brands I have tried.

I have a pair of hillsound gaitors. They are by far my favorites so far. They have a zipper instead of Velcro which I love, and I also love the way they attach to my boot laces. The hook comes up from the bottom instead of over the top so it’s virtually impossible for them to come unhooked from my laces. I’ve only had them for a year so time will tell but loving them so far.

Kuiu lasted 5 years with moderate (500mi?) use. Bottoms of the fabric are frayed. Buckle just broke but the new version doesnt use buckles up top. I dont have chicken legs and they were a little big on me. If they dont cover em under warranty for the buckle I may look elsewhere.

Sg gators.

I think I have had them for four or five years now and have done 5-10 hunts a year. Still in great shape. My favorite attribute about them is the adjustment in the calf. I have skinny legs and I can get them tight on my leg from ankle to top of my calf.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back