Why do you like your gaiters?

I keep a speed stitcher and extra gaiter straps handy that I make out of extra chunks of snowshoe decks I have laying around!

Sg gators.

I think I have had them for four or five years now and have done 5-10 hunts a year. Still in great shape. My favorite attribute about them is the adjustment in the calf. I have skinny legs and I can get them tight on my leg from ankle to top of my calf.
I have the SG gaiters and I like a lot of things about them. The calf adjustment is awesome—the only other gaiters I’ve had that stayed up as good are OR.

I don’t like that they are flipping hot. It’s great in the winter for warmth but I have to wear gaiters a lot because I have long legs and pant inseams are never long enough to cover my boots if I bend my legs or sit. So in the early season or when I’m using them in spring it’s not fun.

The other thing I don’t like about them is the cord that goes under your boot. I think it’s an ingenious idea to have a replaceable piece like that, but when I’m hiking and it’s not super-duper cold, snow will ball up in that cord and before long I’m walking on icy snowballs. Kind of like when you have a horse with shoes but no snow pads, the snow builds and packs up under their hooves.

To whatever company makes a gaiter that has all the nifty weather- and water-resistant benefits but does not let out a loud rebel “KKKSSSCH” from the Velcro, resounding in an elk alarm that can be heard a mile away if you need to take them off, they can have all my money.

Last edited:
There is always something that isn't quite right with the attire when hunting. I had the same problem with the heavy duty carhart tan work pants many years ago. When packing hay or riding in the early season the length of the inseam was way too short! I took an older pair and cut off a foot of length and had them neatly sewn into my new pair. Length problem solved! I wish I could design my own brand of clothing, I would not have to do manual labor anymore!

I use the Sitka Stormfront gaitors in snow, rain, and cocklebur conditions. Beats hell out of picking burrs off your pants.
I have huge cankles and calves. The XXL close over every layer combination I have tried.

about 20 years ago I tried a pair of gaiters and since then I've tried a lot of different brands and easily wear them 100+ days a year

T&K hands down the most durable & bombproof gaiter I've ever used (not to mention made entirely in the USA & veteran owned)
kuiu Yukon - was the only thing I used for years and probably the 2nd best gaiter I ever used.
kenetrek - solid overall gaiter that would great for just about everybody out there
black diamond- probably decent for the average guy but they are overpriced for what you get. Not very Durable
outdoor research- overpriced and not very durable, never got more than half a season out of a pair.
kings camo- horrible, fabric absorbed more moisture than they wicked and zippers broke on them a lot.
sitka thunderhead- junk, draw string on the calf is horrible design and they absorbed a lot of moisture. lasted maybe 20 days until I threw them in the trash.
First lite- they should quit making these all together, was gifted a set of the shorter and taller ones and these are horrible. I wouldn't pay 20$ for the both of them. Durability is horrible & they just leave a lot to be desired in every single aspect.

I’ve had the same pair of OR gaiters for… 20 years? Still chugging. Not the most breathable, but they stand up to briars, brambles, and shin-deep snow.

I'm in the market for a new pair of gaiters. In a perfect world, they'd go hunting sometimes, skiing sometimes, hiking sometimes... They'd be a drab color, tough and they wouldn't be super noisy either, if they rub against each other. And they need to be able to fit around legs that are not skinny!

What do you use? Do you like them?
Outdoor Research. the pair I have are super old but still holding up well.

I have a old pair of Cabela's Gaters and they were for tall people and I am 6'2.
# 1. There quite
# 2. They have been excellent but about wore out.
# 3 If anyone knows of a pair that are quite and for tall people I would like to buy another set.
I did hunt Eastern Montana and I could hear his Gaters from close to a half a mile. I told him I would ditch them for hunting.

I found the Black Ovis gaiters on sale a few seasons ago and really Mike them so far. They’re fairly quiet and light. I even wear them in warm dry weather to keep things out of my boots. Maybe not as tough as some other kinds but they have held up well so far.

I use Outdoor Research, black, velcro front closure. They "stand up" on their own, keep my pants and boots dry. I use them more for rain and wet brush than I do for snow (Oregon). I also like that when I come back to camp, my pants aren't wet and muddy and I can hang the gaiters over the fire or stove.

I use Outdoor Research, black, velcro front closure. They "stand up" on their own, keep my pants and boots dry. I use them more for rain and wet brush than I do for snow (Oregon). I also like that when I come back to camp, my pants aren't wet and muddy and I can hang the gaiters over the fire or stove.
Likewise, Outdoor Research with snaps, zippers, and velcro closures. I've worn them for over twenty years, with only need to replace one zipper. They are my go-to hunting gaiters for brush, rain, or snow.

I've used OR crocs for a few years. They've held up well for me, not super breathable, but have worked great chasing late season elk and coyotes.

I don't. All gaiters suck. I think my feet sweat more with them on than they do walking through wet grass.

I will break down and wear them if I'm crossing creeks or theres melting snow but thats about it.

Kennetrek. Durable and I can get them to cinch tight on my chicken legs. If they can stay on my legs, they will stay on anybodys.

I have had the exact opposite experience with my Kenetreks. They don't cinch down well. Barely good enough. If they had velcro on the top they would be awesome.

I also won't be getting another pair of Kenetreks. Mine get the most use upland bird hunting in the Midwest. Mine do not cinch well at the top and were badly frayed at bottoms and along seams during year 2. This is my 3rd year using them and both buckles have ripped of the gaiters. I'm going to try OR Crocodiles next. I do like gaiters though, and find them extremely useful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back