Yeti GOBOX Collection

Why all the 6.5 CM hate?

@morley.tyler
I think this gives a good taste of what their exchange was probably like... I'm not going to drop $35 on a book which is essentially the 1960s version of a hunt talk thread. I'm sure given the massive impact I will have on the world, one day folks will dig through the server this forum is housed upon in order to be dazzled by my wit and brilliance.

To be completely honest, if I want to be entertained by a battle between erudition and quarrelsome bastards I will consult my great friend and ally the search bar; @Ben Lamb and @noharleyyet have put a number of churlish louts in their place. JWP58 v. Ben Lamb is perhaps my favorite...

Also, there are only 8 copies of the book on worldcat and by the time it arrives through ILL I won't care anymore...

1579398023936.png

Attachments

• 1579397714468.png
    1579397714468.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 12
Bill,
I was with you, right up to where you said "6.5 rob", then went on to say 6.5X57.
Paul Mauser is rolling over!

Would have been easier to list the cartridges that the Creedmoor is faster than.
6.5 Grendel
6.5-223.

Ok, list done. :D:

Ooohhh,
I know what i'm gonna sell Hornady on next!
6.5-9mm Luger.
For all the Creed guys with supressors, but no subsonic ammo.
The 6.5-257Rob, is a necked up .257 Rob. The .257 Rob is a necked down 7x57. The 6.5x57 is a necked down 8x57. The 8x57 has the shoulder moved substantially forward of the 7x57. A 6.5-257Rob has a longer neck, and less case capacity than a 6.5x57. The 6.5x57 was actually a standard cartridge. The 6.5-257Rob was, obviously, a wildcat. My 6.5’s are 6.5-257Rob AI’s, also known as the .260AAR. I chose that primarily because I wanted the longer neck, and slightly diminished capacity compared to AI’ing the 6.5x57, but additionally because, in the US, 6.5-257Rob dies are more common, and 6.5-257Rob AI/260AAR dies exist, and the reamer is did not require a custom order.

If Paul Mauser is rolling over in his grave, it’s not because I think the 6.5Rob, and 6.5x57 are the same thing. THEY ARE NOT.

And you left out the 6.5TCU.

Last edited:
The 6.5-257Rob, is a necked up .257 Rob. The .257 Rob is a necked down 7x57. The 6.5x57 is a necked down 8x57. The 8x57 has the shoulder moved substantially forward of the 7x57. A 6.5-257Rob has a longer neck, and less case capacity than a 6.5x57. The 6.5x57 was actually a standard cartridge. The 6.5-257Rob was, obviously, a wildcat. My 6.5’s are 6.5-257Rob AI’s, also known as the .260AAR. I chose that primarily because I wanted the longer neck, and slightly diminished capacity compared to AI’ing the 6.5x57, but additionally because, in the US, 6.5-257Rob dies are more common, and 6.5-257Rob AI/260AAR dies exist, and the reamer is did not require a custom order.

If Paul Mauser is rolling over in his grave, it’s not because I think the 6.5Rob, and 6.5x57 are the same thing. THEY ARE NOT.

...and O'Connor was pissed he wasn't Elmer Keith.
Buzz: you’re an OG in these parts, and I reply w/ nothing but respect. Jack did not wish he was Elmer. Elmer was a troglodyte from small town Idaho (just like me). Jack was more than content w/ who he was and what he did. While I grew up w/ a father who worshipped at the alter of Jack, I also read and respected Elmer. Hell , “Hell, I Was There” was a coffee table book in our house.
But your statement is just factualLy inaccurate.

I personally am pretty neutral on the 6.5 Creedmore, never shot one, don't know anyone that even owns one. As I've read various articles and posts on it, it's seems a reliable choice for whitetail, and a little light for anything bigger. Yes I'm sure people have taken elk and black bear with it, but so have hunters using the 243. I'll stick to my 270 & 30-06 because that's what I'm most comfortable with. To each their own.

Did a little shooting with my hated crudmucker this morning. This with Sta Ball 6.5 and Hornady A-tips. The only reason that I am playing with them, is that a buddy got some seconds at Hornady for less than half retail. 1/4 inch at 200 yards from a cold barrel.
View attachment 125961

You put 200 yards but I am sure you meant 1200 yards. At 200 yards a 6.5 will put 3 rounds in one hole. Not to be rude, even at 1200 yards that is only a marginal 6.5CM group at best. You need to get your creedmoor level up and get those rounds touching at least.

Buzz: you’re an OG in these parts, and I reply w/ nothing but respect. Jack did not wish he was Elmer. Elmer was a troglodyte from small town Idaho (just like me). Jack was more than content w/ who he was and what he did. While I grew up w/ a father who worshipped at the alter of Jack, I also read and respected Elmer. Hell , “Hell, I Was There” was a coffee table book in our house.

Granted in the day, an outfitted hunt was different, but O'Conner was a client that did some great writing.

Guys like Keith guided guys like O'Conner. O'Conner was the better writer...but sure as hell wasn't the better hunter, firearm developer, rifleman, horseman or outdoorsman. That's factually accurate.

I think deep down, Jack wished he was more than a client and writer.

You put 200 yards but I am sure you meant 1200 yards. At 200 yards a 6.5 will put 3 rounds in one hole. Not to be rude, even at 1200 yards that is only a marginal 6.5CM group at best. You need to get your creedmoor level up and get those rounds touching at least.
I'll work on it, but will probably wait for you to show me how. My eyes don't allow me to shoot the extra-wonderful groups that it is capable of! 😁

Great book. I have it.

I'll work on it, but will probably wait for you to show me how. My eyes don't allow me to shoot the extra-wonderful groups that it is capable of! 😁
I still shoot a .308 so it’s just slightly better then throwing rocks at stuff. You will have to find Someone more up to date to show you what the 6.5 can really do.

Thats some nice shooting!

I guess 😂. Geez people, the 6.5 creedmoor has less case capacity than a 260 rem. The 260 is a necked up 243 win, a necked down 7mm-08 or 308. The creedmoor is not some mythical unstoppable force. It’s a small, short action, 6.5 caliber that will be out run in velocity and energy by the 260 Remington, the 7mm-08, and the 270 Winchester. In fact I can stuff more powder in my 25-06 and outshoot a creedmoor.
Just and your point is

I’m not sure at what point the thread turned nicely humorous, but I’m pretty sure some folks haven’t got the memo...

On a related note, it’s really all the people who care what gun magazines say that we should worry about. It’s like reading a comic book and being pissed cat woman isn’t real.
Yes SHE IS😭😭😭

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back