PEAX Equipment

Who deserves a tag?

If you guys got sick of WI plates before, hold on to your hats!

first sight of "western game" for me was as 7th or 8th grader in Elementary school in northern Wisconsin. The guy who had the house next to the school football field came rolling in one afternoon in late September/early october and proceeded to unload antelope and deer,,, I was in awe looking at pronghorns and mule deer,,,

now the fact he brought them back unprocessed (gutted but not skinned) doesn't speak highly of his concern for the quality of the meat, but it sure didn't matter to this young hunter

now the fact he brought them back unprocessed (gutted but not skinned) doesn't speak highly of his concern for the quality of the meat, but it sure didn't matter to this young hunter
Didn't everyone do this back then? Or were there some who knew better? Just curious

Didn't everyone do this back then? Or were there some who knew better? Just curious

heck if I know,,, back then I knew no one who traveled farther than a few counties over to hunt,,, boondoggles were an unrealized dream for me in the 70s,,,

Take advantage of the opportunities that surround you. Doe/cow tags, Bear tags, duck/upland hunts, fishing, hog hunts, etc, are all easy, mostly otc for all.

Holding out hope for dream tags is a great daydream, but if you want to hunt…….HUNT!

We’d all like to draw a sheep permit, etc. but keep in mind, we only live so long, get out there and get after it. A hunt is exactly as fun and special as you make it.

Having said that, I still put in for a bunch of dream tags, buy and use points, and raffles galore. Never expect anything from it. Hunting is a big part of my life, I’m always hunting, whether it’s game, mushrooms, coins, shed antlers, wildlife sightings. It’s a state of mind.

Just think…..if pronghorn were all of a sudden in numbers similar to bighorns. We’d all be dreaming of that once and a lifetime hunt for pronghorn……racking up points……

I would do away with governors, commission, and super tags as well. GF agencies functioned for decades upon decades without them. I'm tired of the worn out mantra that "well, they raise a lot of money". Those tags skim the cream off the top of wildlife, and devalue the hunt quality for those that have waited their turn.
AMEN! I too am sick and tired of the 'oh they raise critical funds'...I'd add in many cases the value is created by having some highly restricted harvest in at least a few areas to produce trophy animals that bring the $$...so by substantially restricting the average hunters they ensure a premium is paid by the wealthy. No thanks.

I support a state setting its tag allocation as wants. I prefer any species with over 10 tags set one aside for an auction and one for a lottery with $100 the max anyone can spend in the lottery on any species.

The rest of the tags should be split 90% residents and 10% non-residents with the non-resident bucket actually set aside and guaranteed to go to a non-resident.

No tags for any special group. Offer a discount to groups for license cost or tag cost but no tag bucket.

No tags for guides. No tags for outfitters. No tags for landowners. F&G can create incentives for landowners but no tags.

Hunting licenses for residents and non-residents should be at 1:2 cost so if resident pays $100 then the non-resident pays $200. Tags at 1:5 so if resident pays $500 for a sheep tag then non-resident pays $2500.

No point system.

If you draw a tag then the waiting period in years to apply is determined by the total applications for that species / tags issued. Harvest or not then you wait. You draw an elk tag in a year when were 10,000 applicants for 2,500 elk tags then you wait four years to apply for elk again.

No restrictions on using public land that only apply to non-resident hunters.
If the tags are split 90/10 then residents should be charged the same rate nonresidents are. No reason why nonresidents who pay for 3x the ammount in some states and possibly more in others should get shafted to 10% of the draws.
The only thing this is going to incentivize is people moving to your state and ruining the odds for already-residents.

If the tags are split 90/10 then residents should be charged the same rate nonresidents are. No reason why nonresidents who pay for 3x the ammount in some states and possibly more in others should get shafted to 10% of the draws.
The only thing this is going to incentivize is people moving to your state and ruining the odds for already-residents.
Welcome to Hunttalk. mtmuley

Keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

That there is some unhinged chit. Plenty of reason whtpy nonres shouldmbe at the back of the line and pay more. You forget one thing as well, You ain’t paying 3x as much, you are paying nothing when you mostly do not draw.

10%. nonresident quota across the west would be just about right, IMO.

Okay. Maybe we can agree on this? Residents get 100% of the tags and nonresidents have to fund resident hunts.

Okay. Maybe we can agree on this? Residents get 100% of the tags and nonresidents have to fund resident hunts.

Or we can agree on what legal precedent has already established that individual states have the right to determine how much opportunity they want to allocate to nonresident hunters. That’s established law affirmed by the Supreme Court. Any other argument of “it should be this or it should be that” is just opinion.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back