Who deserves a tag?

I guess I should feel like a dick for getting my DAV moose tag.....
Looking at it more broadly, Nobody should feel like a dick for getting whatever tag is legally available to get. When I pulled 90 preference points worth of Colorado reissue tags for zero points invested over that last 5 years, I simply made great use of what was available to anyone….Play the game provided and have fun.

I've always been for something I've never seen done in any state.

Let the hunters in that state decide. Put up the proposal to hunters, then let the hunters in that state who FILLED A TAG the previous year vote any propose changes in hunting regulations or game management up of down.
Do you talk to many hunters?

I know if we let the hunters here in Louisiana decide conservation issues, in a few years there would be nothing left to conserve.

Getting a tag is only half the battle. Than you have to harvest an animal. We as hunters should get to decide who gets to harvest the animals as well? I learned a long time ago it doesn’t work like that. You apply you might get lucky and draw. You work hard, you might have some luck. But Ned might drink a 36 pack and go shoot the world record. If everyone could check their hunting egos at the door to the draw, that would solve a lot of problems with jealousy and the “I want mine” mentality and “you didn’t deserve that”. It’s never going to happen…and I feel like I deserve a bighorn sheep tag this year much more than anyone else on hunttalk😂

IF it weren't for hunters here in Indiana, there wouldn't be anything here to hunt the last 75 years.
Wildlife was void from most of the Midwest in the early 1900s and hunters brought the populations back by imposing laws, seasons, and bag limits. They also taxed themselves on sporting goods which became known as the Pittman-Robertson act. Unfortunately, I don’t think if we were in that situation today most hunters would respond the same way.

Wildlife was void from most of the Midwest in the early 1900s and hunters brought the populations back by imposing laws, seasons, and bag limits. They also taxed themselves on sporting goods which became known as the Pittman-Robertson act. Unfortunately, I don’t think if we were in that situation today most hunters would respond the same way.
Wouldn't be surprised either way but I believe it should be the people who developed and financed the resource to decide. Not the bunny huggers and people sucking out the last nickle from it.

The problems with hunting and hunters today, I believe, all are the result of hunters convincing their selves they have to beg anyone they can convince to take it up, wether they want to hunt or not. I like to hunt with people who like to hunt. Not people who need special days, bonuses and enticement or want all the regulation re written and bent around their own personnel self.

I guess I should feel like a dick for getting my DAV moose tag.....
Absolutely not. It irritates me that some will base their credibility and entitlement to western big game tags due to being 457th generation Wyomingite or Montanan, yet cast doubt on folks like you (especially if you are an evil nonresident!) receiving some type preference…….

1. Allocate tag numbers and styles based on science from scientists that aim to meet conservation goals.

2. Set tags prices and allotments based upon necessary funds to support conservation goals. The majority of tags should go to residents.

3. ALL purchasers should have equal odds. Do away with all the games. Keep it simple. Everyone has an equal shot every year NO matter their bank account or acreage account.

4. Wildlife is a citizenry owned public trust. Private land owners don’t own them while the critters are on their land. I don’t own the house finches at my feeder right now. Animals don’t know borders. Public Trust holders need to take care of them. If my dog digs up my neighbors garden I’m accountable. My neighbor isn’t welcome to come into my yard randomly to chase squirrels.

Absolutely not. It irritates me that some will base their credibility and entitlement to western big game tags due to being 457th generation Wyomingite or Montanan, yet cast doubt on folks like you (especially if you are an evil nonresident!) receiving some type preference…….
It irritates me that people who want to run a hook or bullet through an animal think they're the only ones entitled to have a say or make decisions regarding everything and anything wildlife.

It also irritates me that people living outside the West seem to think they should have a larger say in my States wildlife than the people that live here...in particular when they enjoy that same level of management and control with the wildlife where they are residents.

I'd love to see nothing but random draws across the board with states setting the resident/NR ratio. 90% resident seems pretty fair in my book. Apart from things like governors tags and supertags I'd leave it right there if it were up to me. Nobody gets preferential treatment outside of their residency status.

I'd love to see nothing but random draws across the board with states setting the resident/NR ratio. 90% resident seems pretty fair in my book. Apart from things like governors tags and supertags I'd leave it right there if it were up to me. Nobody gets preferential treatment outside of their residency status.
I would do away with governors, commission, and super tags as well. GF agencies functioned for decades upon decades without them. I'm tired of the worn out mantra that "well, they raise a lot of money". Those tags skim the cream off the top of wildlife, and devalue the hunt quality for those that have waited their turn.

How about outfitters and the other tourism folks that are all so hot and bothered about wildlife, and profit it from it, start chipping in their share?

NO reason for those tags to even exist.

It irritates me that people who want to run a hook or bullet through an animal think they're the only ones entitled to have a say or make decisions regarding everything and anything wildlife.

It also irritates me that people living outside the West seem to think they should have a larger say in my States wildlife than the people that live here...in particular when they enjoy that same level of management and control with the wildlife where they are residents.
If some people think that then they must be sorely mistaken. Public comment periods are just that, open to the public not just hunters/anglers. Additionally hunters/anglers aren’t the only people voting in local/state elections. It may be that hunters/anglers are more inclined to be politically active in issues involving wildlife, but that isn’t always the case.

Outside the west or just outside the state being discussed? Hard to believe a non-resident thinks he/she has a larger say than the residents of said state. That is quite a leap. If anything it seems the consensus is that non-residents have absolutely no say and should forget that hunting even exists outside their home state.

If some people think that then they must be sorely mistaken. Public comment periods are just that, open to the public not just hunters/anglers. Additionally hunters/anglers aren’t the only people voting in local/state elections. It may be that hunters/anglers are more inclined to be politically active in issues involving wildlife, but that isn’t always the case.

Outside the west or just outside the state being discussed? Hard to believe a non-resident thinks he/she has a larger say than the residents of said state. That is quite a leap. If anything it seems the consensus is that non-residents have absolutely no say and should forget that hunting even exists outside their home state.
We must not read the same threads.

Non Residents complaining about everything is at a fever pitch.

We must not read the same threads.

Non Residents complaining about everything is at a fever pitch.
That’s completely possible. I intentionally avoid some threads (probably should avoid more).

It is the off-season, aka peak complaint season on the internet. We need some more draw results to shift folks into full blown hunt planning and gear acquisition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back