White Rag to Attract Antelope?

Bam Bam

I know that Native Americans used to draw Antelope into archery range with white feathers or rags.... I was curious to see if any HuntTalkers have tried this, and how it worked. I am going to feel like an idiot if I try this and the speed goats head for the next zip code!

I'd read numerous places that it works. Gave it a shot a few years back and had results that mirror your fears. Maybe we were too close. We were trying to pull some in from about 400 yards to give my wife a comfortable shot. Don't know. I do know that I won't try it again in the near future.

It work best if you have a flagger, and the shooter goes a hundred to two hundred yards downwind.

It’s fun, but I would prefer to stalk them.

I hunt pronghorn with an open sighted muzzleloader. I sometimes successfully use a variation on this technique.

The tip about a separate flagger is a good one, too. Killed my first two bucks that way sub 50 yards.

I put a white game bag on the top half of a light brown backpack and stood it upright on the ground. I thought it looked pretty good but the antelope didn’t seem interested. Maybe you need some movement.

I was putting the sneak on an antelope and when I ducked down he saw me and came in to investigate.
On another occasion while bowhunting antelope I got busted out in the open and I knelt down as he was passing through. He noticed me and changed his route to a bee line right to me.
I wasn't wearing any white.
On the first one it was rifle season and I was wearing orange.
On the other I was camouflaged for bowhunting.

I have not personally tried using a white rag so no experience here but I was once trying to sneak in on a herd of a few does and a buck. As I was walking I looked and they had me pegged at about 400 yards. Because of the terrain I believe the could only see me from my chest up. Once I realized I was seen I ducked down. Next thing I know the buck is running to me stopping occasionally to try and see me. He closed the distance so quick I had to hurry to get my bi-pods set up and get ready for the shot. Shot him around 100-150 yards. I was in camo. I believe if I had a decoy he would have come in for a bow shot.
Having said all of that. I really believe how much pressure is on the antelope your are hunting. I could be wrong but I believe that unpressured antelope are more likely to fall for our "tricks" compared to pressured goats.

Haven’t tried a white rag but would consider trying it this year.
During the rut we have had bucks charge a Montana decoy while archery hunting.
I would NOT use a decoy during rifle season but maybe that’s just me.

It works well in New Mexico, the lope aren’t rutting yet and the bucks are curious. The more eyes the worst results. I flagged a good lope in by laying down and waving my hat a couple of times. He was at 500-600 yards. First wave of the hat he came in to 300 yards. One more wave got him to 130 yards…..game over.

Attachments

• 015C631F-9807-4428-A70D-E6D095CEF54A.jpeg
    015C631F-9807-4428-A70D-E6D095CEF54A.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
I have not personally tried using a white rag so no experience here but I was once trying to sneak in on a herd of a few does and a buck. As I was walking I looked and they had me pegged at about 400 yards. Because of the terrain I believe the could only see me from my chest up. Once I realized I was seen I ducked down. Next thing I know the buck is running to me stopping occasionally to try and see me. He closed the distance so quick I had to hurry to get my bi-pods set up and get ready for the shot. Shot him around 100-150 yards. I was in camo. I believe if I had a decoy he would have come in for a bow shot.
Having said all of that. I really believe how much pressure is on the antelope your are hunting. I could be wrong but I believe that unpressured antelope are more likely to fall for our "tricks" compared to pressured goats.
The amount of pressure they receive is key. I've hunted in high pressure areas a lot and those antelope take off running with any kind of movement of any kind, regardless of what color it is, what decoy it is, or what portion of you they see. On the other hand I've had antelope run in and start talking to me in areas where they rarely see people.

Take a stroke through Tony Grimmet's pictures. Probably the greatest antelope guide of all time and he is frequently pictured in a white t shirt with a giant antelope.

Back