White Rag to Attract Antelope?

The amount of pressure they receive is key. I've hunted in high pressure areas a lot and those antelope take off running with any kind of movement of any kind, regardless of what color it is, what decoy it is, or what portion of you they see. On the other hand I've had antelope run in and start talking to me in areas where they rarely see people.
After reading all of these comments, I am starting to agree with you.

The amount of pressure they receive is key. I've hunted in high pressure areas a lot and those antelope take off running with any kind of movement of any kind, regardless of what color it is, what decoy it is, or what portion of you they see. On the other hand I've had antelope run in and start talking to me in areas where they rarely see people.
This is probably the best insight. I've hunted areas where the goats are pressured like crazy from hoards of non-residents, and those goats are scared of their own shadow. A buddy and myself knew this going in to a hunt in a heavily pressured area we'd drawn so we thought we'd try the beef cow decoy approach (lots of cattle in the area year round). It didn't work at all......

Later in the day, after abandoning our decoy, we were glassing from a knob and watching a group of goats around some water about 1500 yards away. Over the hill towards the goats came a couple horses, trotting in to the water. When those goats saw the horses they scattered like scalded cats. I couldn't believe how scared they were of something they see day in and day out that poses them no threat.

...Over the hill towards the goats came a couple horses, trotting in to the water. When those goats saw the horses they scattered like scalded cats. I couldn't believe how scared they were of something they see day in and day out that poses them no threat.
Horses are aggressive and drive other animals off water. This is one reason feral horses are such a big problem in dry areas.

Getting one into rifle range, it works, bow range is much harder.

Horses are aggressive and drive other animals off water. This is one reason feral horses are such a big problem in dry areas.

Getting one into rifle range, it works, bow range is much harder.
True. I should have clarified - this was on a big ranch and these were not feral horses. These were ranch horses, and this was an area where water would not be an issue.

True. I should have clarified - this was on a big ranch and these were not feral horses. These were ranch horses, and this was an area where water would not be an issue.
Horses are still a--holes towards other animals around resources.

I know that Native Americans used to draw Antelope into archery range with white feathers or rags.... I was curious to see if any HuntTalkers have tried this, and how it worked. I am going to feel like an idiot if I try this and the speed goats head for the next zip code!
They’re very curious critters. I would sure try it if all the ‘conventional’ techniques weren’t working out. I could see them being like a coyote though, if they've been called in before and had a close call, but didn’t get killed, they may be very leery.

Personally, not sure I would attempt. I enjoyed the challenge of slipping past their prying eyes.

An old guy told me he would tie a flag with a long rope behind his pickup. Jump out and follow the ditch and wait for the antelope to get close. He says it’s hit or miss. It bouncing on the road should help get their attention.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back