Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Which WY GMU for 2020 NR w/ (7) Points?

Perhaps only eclipsed by your laziness...

Its not 1940, you have the greatest research tool in history...literally at your fingertips. Part of the fun for me is to do some research on my own when I'm planning a hunt, including reading research papers on the quarry I'm after.

Too bad more people don't take the time to do more than find the easy way to run an arrow or bullet through a critter...sad really.

You have no idea who you're talking to or how much research I've already done. If you don't want to help that's fine. But you can keep your negative and condescending remarks to yourself. Every post you made on this thread appears to that you're attempting to elevate your status in your own mind. At least the 1940's didn't have the keyboard cowboys like today who get off on trying to make themselves feel better by putting everybody else down while hiding behind their computer screen.

You have no idea who you're talking to or how much research I've already done. If you don't want to help that's fine. But you can keep your negative and condescending remarks to yourself. Every post you made on this thread appears to that you're attempting to elevate your status in your own mind. At least the 1940's didn't have the keyboard cowboys like today who get off on trying to make themselves feel better by putting everybody else down while hiding behind their computer screen.

I have a pretty good idea who I'm talking to and that your research has been limited to applying for pronghorn points for 7 years and looking for a handout on what unit you should apply for. Posts like yours are a dime a dozen on every hunting board...you can hit the search button on this site and find the answers to your questions.

Pretty lame that in 7 years your research hasn't been extensive enough to figure out when the pronghorn rut is and what units you can draw with 7 points, you sound serious.

Maybe someday I'll stop being a keyboard cowboy long enough to learn something about pronghorn...

IMG950426.jpg

Pretty tough to figure out...here let me help:

ORV rules for the State:

BLM:

Pronghorn rut:

Wyoming hunt planner:

Wyoming drawing odds:

Wyoming hunting guide:

Harvest reports:

All this took about 3 minutes...

You're welcome.

Seriously , if you have unit questions I found posters on this website who are SO helpful via PM. I recently found an elk unit with literally ZERO posts on Google about it. But I know from the wyo fish and game website that I want to go check it out due to harvest odds and the open dates of the season and accessibility.

posting on a public post only makes your own draw odds harder!
All you need to do is look at what units took 5 or 6 points to draw last year. Look at the open season dates and tags available for those unit next year and eliminate ones that don’t fit your wishes. Look at the Map, Satellite Map, and US Topo map of the area to determine if it’s going to support the hunting style and landscape you want. Google earth and google maps And google street view can you with public access issues. Email BLM Office and the County GIS office any questions about public road access (this goes both ways, I am trying to confirm a road in an antelope unit is private as the County GIS shows but the BLM office says is public, so I don’t backpack 4
Miles and come to a bunch of trucks that drove around the private land).
after this you’ll have 3-4 units that look good based on your own 4-6 hours of research.

now Google “Wyoming antelope unit xx”. See what people say. If too MANY people talk about a unit or a unit has very specific instructions given as to where to hunt, you likely want to avoid it or that part of the unit, as everyone who draws the tag for it will be at that hot-spot opening day.

Too bad more people don't take the time to do more than find the easy way to run an arrow or bullet through a critter...sad really.

We mid-westerners are a special breed. Most of us have probably never hunted out of our own state, let alone out of a different 40 acre section of public/private ground. Most probably haven't ever sat on a different stump or tree stand. I cant speak for all mid-westerners but we have been coached by others and have been told what to do by our mentors. I would bet money that most haven't read the regulation book for our own state. It's just go to the counter and buy your tags, get your orange jacket and rifle and hit the woods the Saturday before Thanksgiving and sit on your stump. At least this was how my Wisconsin life was. If there is a change in rules or regulations it is head news and you can find it on the local news or front paper. Then in the local coffee shop or tavern you will hear people asking and discussing rules and regs.

If you asked people where I grew up how to hunt whitetail I would bet that someone would take you to hunters safety. Then they would take you to the Ace Hardware so you can get your tag, loan you an orange coat and sit you 10 acres away from them. Now clearly I don't expect you to do that.

I don't know BigFin like you do but I would assume his home town it would sound similar to that. I could be wrong though.

I would guess that's why we ask questions that are stupid, because we openly talk about it with each other. Were not trying to get on your nerve, or at least I'm not. But I will accept your friendly 😏 kick in the right direction to do more research. I will accept you as my brief mentor. I am not making excuses for us, excuses suck. We have just been spoon fed the shortcut this far by mentors.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who are supportive and attempting to contribute in a positive manner. Merry Christmas to all. This forum draws people because of civility and sharing of information. Nothing kills a forum faster than a few posters negative posting.

Or people who are continually seeking a handout of information that is readily available with a little (very little) effort.

Pretty tough to figure out...here let me help:

ORV rules for the State:

BLM:

Pronghorn rut:

Wyoming hunt planner:

Wyoming drawing odds:

Wyoming hunting guide:

Harvest reports:

All this took about 3 minutes...

You're welcome.

I'll add to Buzz's list

The 2020 AppNarrative. Download it and read it. The dept adds to it every year and it's become a pretty darn good source of info for people wanting to learn about the Wyoming draw.

Will you be applying in the regular or special draw? Folks will be able to provide you with a more useful answer if they know that info.

I’d suggest a unit in Carbon County - more B&C entries from that county than any other county in the world. Pick a unit that fits your criteria in that area and go. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
My uncle has the same number of points, and I am planning a trip to take him out there this coming fall too. Lots of good info out there to help you pick a unit. Buzz gave lots of good links which should help. I also recommend onX

We mid-westerners are a special breed. Most of us have probably never hunted out of our own state, let alone out of a different 40 acre section of public/private ground. Most probably haven't ever sat on a different stump or tree stand. I cant speak for all mid-westerners but we have been coached by others and have been told what to do by our mentors. I would bet money that most haven't read the regulation book for our own state. It's just go to the counter and buy your tags, get your orange jacket and rifle and hit the woods the Saturday before Thanksgiving and sit on your stump. At least this was how my Wisconsin life was. If there is a change in rules or regulations it is head news and you can find it on the local news or front paper. Then in the local coffee shop or tavern you will hear people asking and discussing rules and regs.

If you asked people where I grew up how to hunt whitetail I would bet that someone would take you to hunters safety. Then they would take you to the Ace Hardware so you can get your tag, loan you an orange coat and sit you 10 acres away from them. Now clearly I don't expect you to do that.

I don't know BigFin like you do but I would assume his home town it would sound similar to that. I could be wrong though.

I would guess that's why we ask questions that are stupid, because we openly talk about it with each other. Were not trying to get on your nerve, or at least I'm not. But I will accept your friendly 😏 kick in the right direction to do more research. I will accept you as my brief mentor. I am not making excuses for us, excuses suck. We have just been spoon fed the shortcut this far by mentors.

I think your last paragraph "I would guess that's why we ask questions that are stupid" is incorrectly stated. The question asked is not stupid, but shows a lack of intellectual curiosity and the understanding of the consequences of posting such information.

"I would guess that's why we ask questions that are stupid, because we openly talk about it with each other. Were not trying to get on your nerve, or at least I'm not. But I will accept your friendly 😏 kick in the right direction to do more research. I will accept you as my brief mentor. I am not making excuses for us, excuses suck. We have just been spoon fed the shortcut this far by mentors."

Jeez, really? You should extend your hand in gratitude to Buzz....he merely bumped you towards the proper orbit to do your own research.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back