Where should I move to in MT?

Have you thought about Idaho Falls or somewhere in that area. It's a pretty centralized place to almost everything you would be looking for. Definitely 4 full seasons, larger, modern, skiing and snow resorts near by, all the hunting, fishing and outdoor activity you could want. I have never spent a winter there so don't know what that would be like?
I guess I assumed that’d put us too farm from ND but it’s not terrible. Not much further than Kalispell. I’ll explore this more!

Hamilton too small? I wish thousands of other people thought that way. mtmuley
Possibly too small for the work situation she is looking for (although maybe not) but no it’s not too small besides that. She graduated with a class of 11 people at her ND high school. No town is too small for us if you take her job portion out of the equation.

I’ve tried to get myself to love Billings but something about it doesn’t seem right for us. Too large? Lack of character? I don’t hear a lot of people say how much they love Billings but maybe it’s a well kept secret? You bring up a good point with the surrounding communities as options to commute from. I have a close friend who grew up there and he says it leaves room to be desired.
I’ve never understood why people love Billings. It’s the box store capital of the world, and really doesn’t have much to offer from what I can tell. The views are well below average for MT and you have to travel a least a little ways for most outdoor rec.

With RML, GSK, and this new pharmaceutical company coming to Hamilton, it's getting ready to blow up.
Housing is scarce right now and will only get tighter. Local hospital is not the best, but could improve or not.

Good luck with your search, I think you will find the right spot with little difficulty.

Starting a road trip this morning, Pendleton to Thompson Falls to Missoula to Ennis, Jackson, Cheyenne to Montana to BIL and sisters ranch on the Yellowstone.
A week to refresh my recollection in some areas check in with family and to see new country. Sorry Montana boys, same thing happened in Oregon. At least I’m not an Angeleno. Just can’t abide Oregon politics anymore. At 65, hell im not too much competition for elk anyway. Just figure I’ll be looking for a place I can still sit on my porch, rifle across my knee, dogs at my feet and shoot something if I want to.

I have only been to Montana once. 2012 in May for horse riding and fishing. We spent some time in Great Falls. Seemed like a nice area fairly close to the mountains. Just wondering why no one mentions Great Falls for a place to live.

Butte, Billings, Kalispell, Missoula, Helena, Bozeman, G Falls is how I order the cities from best to worst

If you can live in Butte on a Dr salary you have it made, but my wife who worked at St James for a bit doesn’t like their hospital. She loves Billings Clinic.

Of the cities you listed, I’d pick Sheridan WY

Last edited:
I have only been to Montana once. 2012 in May for horse riding and fishing. We spent some time in Great Falls. Seemed like a nice area fairly close to the mountains. Just wondering why no one mentions Great Falls for a place to live.
wind also Malmstrom missiles cruising through town

Lived there from 2006-2008...hated every moment BUT when you considered the distances to bird hunting (both upland and waterfowl) it was actually great. Also Showdown ski area consistently has great snow. Shuttle to and from town (at least pre COVID)

We liked Great Falls. I’d move back there without hesitation. To each their own.

Have you thought about Idaho Falls or somewhere in that area. It's a pretty centralized place to almost everything you would be looking for. Definitely 4 full seasons, larger, modern, skiing and snow resorts near by, all the hunting, fishing and outdoor activity you could want. I have never spent a winter there so don't know what that would be like?
IF sucks. Bad traffic. Hunting sucksbecauseof all the non-residents. Fishing is all going downhill. No trees. It’s crowded. High taxes.

Great Falls is a possible choice. As said close to the Little Belt mountains and the Rocky mountain front. Plus 2 ski areas Showdown or Teton ski area. No smog due to a steady breeze lol. Plus the real estate prices have not gone bonkers compared to most of the towns mentioned. Missoula County has never met a bond issue they did not love aka property tax's are high. Real estate prices have increased every where west of the divide. This summer it was common for people to buy a home sight unseen due to the Covid situation.
No matter where you end up someone else will think their idea was much better. lol

Good luck,
Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back