Where, For A Month?

How bout 2 weeks in colorado and then 2 weeks toward mid end of November in montana :)

You could easily do archery antelope, elk, deer and bear in Colorado. Add a little fly fishing and you'd have a great September. Weather is usually nice, most tags are OTC, rut hunt for 2 of the 4. I want a month off!

For me it'd be MT or ID, they offer the best seasons, access to tags, and are located in the lower 48. There's plenty of great wilderness areas and also a lot of non-motorized/proposed wilderness. In MT you could hunt an area for a week then move to another. Or try for a bull in the west, and then go east for a deer. The combination of possibilities are endless.

You could easily do archery antelope, elk, deer and bear in Colorado. Add a little fly fishing and you'd have a great September. Weather is usually nice, most tags are OTC, rut hunt for 2 of the 4. I want a month off!

I think this would be my pick, but if you hadn't already done it, a month in Montana sounds awfully good, too. So does Alaska. Aw crap, I'm already looking at how I'm going to be able to get any time off this fall.

Is this a dream hunt or what I can afford? I'll just go with the dream
Alaska Grizzly, polar, black bear. Buffalo, moose, mountain goat, big horn, wolf, lynx, bobcat
Africa Lion, leopard, elephant, kudo, Wilda beast, water buffalo all with my Hoyt Charger or my back up Hoyt XT 200

I'd go back to Idaho, Bighorn Crags with elk, deer, wolf tags, and basic fishing gear.

If weather was cool, I'd shoot a big bull, otherwise getting an elk out via backpack before spoilage is not likely IMO.

There are some big deer in there that rarely, if ever, see people.

One month... hmmm, maybe a nice size / color wolf and a quality cat (no dogs). I believe w/ a full month to dig in, those two would be my target and challenge. Where? MT works for me..

I am a little different (not big game). I'd loaded up the dogs and start a bird hunting trip out west. Maybe contact some of the great Hunttalkers along the way.

South & North Dakota.... pheasant, sharpies, and chickens
Wyoming ......the same and on my "bucket list"... those really big grouse.
Montana... more birds (as seen on Hunttalk)
Idaho..... some of those spruce grouse & chukar (as seen on Hunttalk)
Oregon.... some of those quail (as ssen on Hunttalk)
Utah and Nevada..... more quail
Arizona.... more quail (as seen on Hunttalk)

then probably head home with a short stop in Kansas.

That's my "Dream hunt for the month"

good luck to all
the dog

I'll second your idea for ID, especially since the stagger the state wide openers. I didn't do a month, but did two weeks there doing that some time back and it's still one of my most memorable trips. There's deer and elk, plus the outside chance of black bears and mtn lion. Doubt they'll have leftovers, but my pard also did a prnghorn in MT that trip as well. We shot 2 species of grouse, 2 mule deer, one elk, a mtn lion, and a pronghorn buck. Should have added a bear and another elk as we eached missed shots. Now you could also add wolves! We didn't see or hear any, but saw evidence they were there. I'd love to do that again...

Being retired and having a best buddy in WY really kept me busy for three solid months last Fall. John drew a sheep tag in OR, an elk tag in NV, and a mulie tag in NM last Fall, so I was on the road leaving home here in MI on 8/20 and not getting back until 11/18. We started on elk in NV for a week, then to OR for a week where John got his Cali Bighorn sheep, then back to NV for another week where John almost got a big bull with his bow. Then it was back up into Wyoming for a month for elk, antelope and deer where we and friends ended up with a 5x5 and a 6x7 bull, and a cow along with three antelope and one mulie buck. Then it was down to 2b in NM where John shot a decent 3x4 mulie and then when we got back from that we had time to get his WY cow elk before I headed to ND with my DD pointer for a week of pheasant hunting. A friend that flew in from Fl and I got 23 of our 24 bird possession limit in 4 1/2 days of hunting before I headed back here for the remainder of our November whitetail rifle season. I never thought I would be hunted out, but that just about did it, LOL!

I'll second your idea for ID, especially since the stagger the state wide openers. I didn't do a month, but did two weeks there doing that some time back and it's still one of my most memorable trips. There's deer and elk, plus the outside chance of black bears and mtn lion. Doubt they'll have leftovers, but my pard also did a prnghorn in MT that trip as well. We shot 2 species of grouse, 2 mule deer, one elk, a mtn lion, and a pronghorn buck. Should have added a bear and another elk as we eached missed shots. Now you could also add wolves! We didn't see or hear any, but saw evidence they were there. I'd love to do that again...

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just thought I'd get some other ideas.

Being retired and having a best buddy in WY really kept me busy for three solid months last Fall. John drew a sheep tag in OR, an elk tag in NV, and a mulie tag in NM last Fall, so I was on the road leaving home here in MI on 8/20 and not getting back until 11/18. We started on elk in NV for a week, then to OR for a week where John got his Cali Bighorn sheep, then back to NV for another week where John almost got a big bull with his bow. Then it was back up into Wyoming for a month for elk, antelope and deer where we and friends ended up with a 5x5 and a 6x7 bull, and a cow along with three antelope and one mulie buck. Then it was down to 2b in NM where John shot a decent 3x4 mulie and then when we got back from that we had time to get his WY cow elk before I headed to ND with my DD pointer for a week of pheasant hunting. A friend that flew in from Fl and I got 23 of our 24 bird possession limit in 4 1/2 days of hunting before I headed back here for the remainder of our November whitetail rifle season. I never thought I would be hunted out, but that just about did it, LOL!

That's freaking awesome.

MT backcountry (wilderness) Elk/Deer rifle opens September 15th. And it'll take the better part of a month to pack an elk out of there ;).

I've done three trips into the Frank Church and I'm looking forward to hunting it again. I flew in for my trips. You could take a wall tent to set-up a base camp and take gear to spike out. Being able to come back to a warm base camp will extend your trip.

There's always the chance for a 30-inch buck in the Frank but 24 inches is realistic. Elk are scarce but available.

South Dakota could keep you busy for a month. Although I don't think we have the variety to compete with some western states.

October- pheasant, waterfowl, east river archery deer, west river archery deer, antelope rifle, paddlefish snagging
November- pheasant, waterfowl, east river archery deer, west river archery deer, east river rifle deer, west river rifle deer, refuge muzzleloader deer, Black Hills rifle deer

Back