Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where, For A Month?

dustinf

Say you had an entire month to chase animals in the backcountry. Where would you go?

It'll have to be OTC because I don't gamble anymore, and budget is a major factor.

Where would you spend a month this season? I'm thinking muley's and elk in Idaho, but what would you do?

I have air miles from business so I get around basically for free.
I recently discovered I can fly to Ketchikan for free, get on a boat to POW, rent a truck for a week $400 and hunt blacktails for about $300 apiece. 2 guys could hunt two deer each for about $1000 each.

But My first choice?
Fly to FRBKS for free, get a rental and head north on the haul road last week of August. I would spend a week or so looking for a caribou and then spend the duration looking for a moose. Again, 2 guys could do this for less than $2000 each.

I have air miles from business so I get around basically for free.
I recently discovered I can fly to Ketchikan for free, get on a boat to POW, rent a truck for a week $400 and hunt blacktails for about $300 apiece. 2 guys could hunt two deer each for about $1000 each.

I hunted blacktails on Etolin last season.

Caribou/moose in Alaska is on my short list, but the expense and logistics of getting meat home from there is a major factor.

With or without the dog? It makes a difference.

Without, the dogs are my replacement when out of town...

16B8F962-A88F-4DFB-BAA3-569B9FAC18A1.jpg

Many states have big game seasons that last less than 15 days. Montana has longer seasons. If you are in great physical shape you might consider the bighorn ram sheep hunt that has unlimited tags in Montana. Many of us will die without drawing a ram tag.

Next suggestion if you are in good shape is to hunt elk in Montana. Seems each year some general bull tags are left after the initial draw. Long season.

If hunting sheep or elk in Montana, I would suggest arriving a week prior to season opening so can scout then use the rest of your 30 days to hunt.

Last edited:
It wouldn't cost much to hunt and fish your way around the
South Island of New Zealand for a month. Cheap car hire. Fly camp
in the hills and tent it wherever you stop when not hunting . Airfare over
there be the biggest hurdle financial wise.

Sounds fun if you want to stick to your country! A month in the hills would
be a very good journey.

I would go to Colorado. OTC elk and antelope archery tags. Still close enough to Wyoming to run up on a weekend and blast a lope or two. Within a long day's drive of Montana to hunt. There's mountain country, meadow country, plains, prairie, and high desert all in the same state, and a lot of it within hours of each other. The fishing is great between the streams and rivers and big water. The fact that I have a house here to crash in for the month doesn't hurt either :D

Many states have big game seasons that last less than 15 days. Montana has longer seasons. If you are in great physical shape you might consider the bighorn ram sheep hunt that has unlimited tags in Montana. Many of us will die without drawing a ram tag.

Tried that last year as well. It's in the back of my mind to give it a go again.

It wouldn't cost much to hunt and fish your way around the
South Island of New Zealand for a month. Cheap car hire. Fly camp
in the hills and tent it wherever you stop when not hunting . Airfare over
there be the biggest hurdle financial wise.

Sounds fun if you want to stick to your country! A month in the hills would
be a very good journey.

I'm thinking about this as well. Plane ticket is $1600, but no tag fees. All other expenses would bethe same, basically.

Maybe when you get back from Africa? Hint, hint. :D

A MT combo license has a good way of eating up November for me. You have the option of jumping over and hunting ID whitetail if you tag out early as well. 1500 bucks in tag fees and some amazing opportunities.

I'm thinking about this as well. Plane ticket is $1600, but no tag fees. All other expenses would bethe same, basically.

Maybe when you get back from Africa? Hint, hint. :D

Not sure where my 'spare time' would come from but I normally can make things work..

My mate over there would help you shoot a couple tahr one weekend to get the ball
rolling for you. Three weeks in the alps would get you fit chasing chamois, tahr and trout
then you could fly to oz, take my truck and rip out a week hunting sambar on a backpack
trip and fly home back to the states a lean mean killing machine..

First half of this year is pretty hectic with schedules and shaping up to be the same over the
back end as well , but heck life's for living right..

I would research tags in CO, WY and MT ( the states I know) and others. Find tags near good hunting that is hard to get to, for whatever reason. Be ready to leave your truck (hotel) for three or four nights at a time and have at it. Be ready to haul meat and antlers for 10 hrs or more if need be. Go where others are unwilling to go.

Middle of Wyoming, the month of December for coyotes. But that's just me.

I have been spending a solo month of September in the Colorado high country for the last seven years. It was always my dream and once I retired it became a reality. I bow hunt elk primarily. I will post a pic of last Fall's bull if I can figure out how! Tried to post one before but couldn't.

I am curious to see where you head with this one Dustin. In about 8 years when I hang up my uniform for the last time, I am going to take the entire fall for a hunting tour of North America. It is probably bad I am already trying to figure out the plan.

Good luck, this sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back