Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Whats your goals on Elk this year ?

Doing my first ever rifle elk hunt this fall near Gunnison, Colorado. Never killed an elk, and only bow hunted them once, do it yourself in Idaho.

Going to a good private ranch, so odds are we will kill elk. Figure I'll hold out for a good five or six point that will look nice on the wall, and if that doesn't work out, whack a cow on the last day or two.

I'm waiting on three different state draws. Otherwise, OTC somewhere.
If I end up OTC, any legal elk will do. Limited entery depends on the draw, but some of the units have 330+ potential.

If I draw the controlled hunt I put in for, I'll hold out for at least a 300 class bull and would like one at least 320. If I don't draw then any bull will make me happy archery hunting.

I've never shot one....so anything that is wapiti is good enough for me.

a bull with my stick and string unless I get the MT elk super tag then it's nothing less than 360" of bone for the wall.

I can't decide. I have a cow tag for CO which should be a pretty easy hunt for a freezer filler, and have an elk tag for MT and am planning a bow hunt and a rifle hunt, so I might hold out for 270ish+ 6pt there, really hard to say though, if its in an easy spot I might just shoot any bull. Its been a long time since I killed an elk with my bow. Not really hung up on size as much as meat...

Bambistew said:
Not really hung up on size as much as meat...
I think there's a Brokeback joke there somewhere.

Another Colorado raghorn for me, and probably a cow. I might hold out for a 6pt, but it will probably be in the 250-280 range unless I get lucky.

It depends on where I draw! If I draw a prime Arizona tag, it's different than another spot, for example. I always like to say I'm gonna hold out for one bigger than the others I've shot, but that's easy to say before the hunt even starts...harder on the 6th day of a hunt!

When I get drawn AGAIN this year ;) I will give the tag to my daughter,
If we both get drawn then its over 325 only.

Like AZ402 said, depends on antler growth this year. Its been very dry this year in NM. So I dont think there will huge monsters this year. So if I get drawn I hope for a 6x6 in the 320 plus. I f I have to use a land owner tag all bets are off or at least down to 4 legs and brown.

Any elk with a ow in UT would be great! If I can make it up to ID this year any bull would be nice.

I'm leaning toward skipping elk altogether this year.

Up to a month of sheep hunting. New dog to start out on birds. Antelope x2, deer x3 or 4. I'll have enough meat for the freezer.

Of course, if the sheep hunt ends early....I may go grab an OTC tag for ID.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back