What's yer total?

I do keep track and have been keeping journals for a long time as well. Almost embarrassing to post this but I guess I will:

Elk: 83
Deer (total, coues, whitetail, blacktail, mule deer): 128
Moose: 4
Bighorn: 2
Desert Sheep: 1
Dall Sheep:1
Black bear: 5
Pronghorn: 78
Musk ox: 1
Mountain goat: 1
Lion: 1
oryx: 1

I've also shot a lot of hogs, sika, fallow, axis, aoudad, etc. on a buddies place in Texas, didn't keep track of those.

I'm slowing down as I get older I could easily have a bunch more pronghorn, I haven't killed a doe in over dozen years. I don't shoot many deer anymore either.

Been sort of tough on the elk since moving to Wyoming though.
That is all impressive, but 83 elk. That’s another level. Nicely done.

Deer/whitetail and muley combined-probably around 100. A lot of that from living on deer meat when tag numbers used to be high and shot a lot of does.
Antelope-14
Elk-4
Goat-1
Bear-1

17 years of hunting
7 bull elk
11 mule deer bucks
3 whitetail bucks
15 antelope bucks
1 black bear boar
1 mountain goat billy

Most of my hunting's been the East. 36 seasons, but dad wasn't much of a hunter, so I got a slow start on big game. Was a squirrel & groundhog serial killer the first few years.

31 WT bucks (5 states)
62 WT does
1 MD buck
3 black bear boars, 1 sow
19 longbeards (3 states)
3 jakes
3 hens
1 bull elk
1 buck antelope
2 doe antelope

My totals slacked off big when my kids started hunting. While I was right beside them they've killed another 19 WT bucks, 10 longbeards, a bull elk, three antelope bucks, and four lope does. Best 15 years of my hunting history by far, and I wasn't killing much myself.

This thread is making me feel kind of dumb, because I know I've shot a lot fewer big game animals than many of you, but I still can't remember exactly how many. 😅

One thing that is very clear to me though, as I ponder it, is that I think of critters that I helped someone else get, almost as if I'd shot them. I think 90% of the satisfaction is still there, especially when it's one of my kids doing the shooting.

This thread is making me feel kind of dumb, because I know I've shot a lot fewer big game animals than many of you, but I still can't remember exactly how many. 😅

One thing that is very clear to me though, as I ponder it, is that I think of critters that I helped someone else get, almost as if I'd shot them. I think 90% of the satisfaction is still there, especially when it's one of my kids doing the shooting.
Totally + numbers don’t really describe how valuable an experience was to you… for instance 2 of my mule deer were cool experiences the rest meh… my most memorable hunts were actually helping folks… CO elk, AK goat…

I didn't to try to count up numbers, but I counted up all the different critters I have killed. As an unsupervised youth there were many small mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians that died by various means. I couldn't count those.

With a high-power rifle I have only killed, blacktail deer, Roosevelt elk, black bear, one ruffed grouse and a gray squirrel.

With a .22 rifle I have killed gray squirrel, ground squirrel and ruffed grouse.

With a muzzleloader I have only killed blacktail deer.

With a bow I have roosevelt elk, blacktail deer, snowshoe hare, ruffed and blue grouse and mountain quail.

With a shotgun I have killed blacktail deer, gray squirrel, ground squirrel, jack rabbits, snowshoe hares, pheasant, turkey, mountain and valley quail, chucker, ruffed and blue grouse, band tailed pigeon, pigeon, mourning dove, greater and lesser Canada geese, whitefront geese, mallard, wood duck, pintail, shoveler, green wing teal, widgeon, gadwall, greater and lesser scaup, ruddy duck, common goldeneye, ringneck duck, bufflehead, common and hooded merganser, coot, snipe, crow, robin (unfortunate mistake but I ate him anyway) rattlesnake, feral peacock, feral graylag goose, and lots of starling,

I have killed both ruffed and blue grouse with rocks and just last Wednesday I stomped a Norway rat to death with my bare feet.

I didn't begin hunting until I was 18. The fire burned in me but my parents were not hunters and my grandfathers had passed. My mothers father actually lost his life squirrel hunting when she was 9 so she was not wanting me to hunt. However it started at 18 when I bought my own shotgun and I have kept records since around 1983 some years more than others. Never been a trophy hunter, really love to eat wild game, and in NC for many years you could shoot a lot of deer. I am at 309 big game kills and most have been deer. There have been deer from the west muley and whitetails, quite a few pronghorn and one bull elk.

Never kept track but this was my 49th year deer hunting and I killed six, 4-5 is pretty typical the last 15-20 years.
I'm sure the number is well over 150.

One thing I have found, at least for me, is I have to fight back the adrenaline rush a little more after becoming more selective. I'm pretty certain there hasn't been a single year in the last decade of living in WY where I didn't have a small muley buck, raggy bull elk, and legal bear of some kind within shooting range. A testament to great hunting more than a great hunter. When you're letting a high percentage of them walk, it almost feels funny to get into "kill mode" when the time comes.

I didn't begin hunting until I was 18. The fire burned in me but my parents were not hunters and my grandfathers had passed. My mothers father actually lost his life squirrel hunting when she was 9 so she was not wanting me to hunt. However it started at 18 when I bought my own shotgun and I have kept records since around 1983 some years more than others. Never been a trophy hunter, really love to eat wild game, and in NC for many years you could shoot a lot of deer. I am at 309 big game kills and most have been deer. There have been deer from the west muley and whitetails, quite a few pronghorn and one bull elk.
Curious how your grandfather lost his life squirrel hunting. Accidental discharge?

Let's see if I can remember. I don't keep a written record of the animals I have killed so this is going off memory.

5-bull elk
5-cow elk
5 mule deer bucks
2-mule deer doe
1-whitetail buck
35-40 blacktail bucks, maybe more. I can't remember them all and it's what I grew up hunting.
6-pigs
2-caribou
1-mt lion
3-black bear

0-coues
0-moose
0-antelope
0-sheep
0-mountain goat
0-bison

As far as upland and waterfowl, I have no idea. Hundreds and hundreds of quail. A few chukar. A few dozen grouse. Handful of pheasant. A ton of ducks. And only 1-goose.

I have been in on probably 2-3 times as many successful elk hunts with others. And countless deer hunts with family and friends. I think two years ago, 2021 season we killed 11 deer, 1 elk, and 1 antelope between all my friends and family hunts. Usually a part of 2-3 successful elk hunts each year as well. So lots of other animals that I haven't pulled the trigger on, but was present for the hunt. When I think of all the meat I have hauled off the mountain, it probably can be measured in tons.

I keep dropping in on this thread in hopes someone has a Himalayan Snow @#)(# on their list.
It's on my list to hunt, but haven't chased them yet. A buddy that used to work for USFW gave me a few spots to check out next Fall. Looking forward to taking my daughter, Ruby, out and looking for some in her namesake range.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back