What's yer total?

I’ll do it I’m not scared ….

@Big Fin whats your body count?
Hmm. I don't know. I've been at it for a long time - 2022 was my 47th season, but not sure it's worth counting the seasons when I was a teenager and college student.

I'd have to go out to the shop (Boneyard according to Mrs. Fin) and count the euro mounts and add to that number the five elk I sold to Pacific Hide & Fur when I moved houses. Not sure I would know how many whitetail does I've taken, but it was my main table fare for many years; probably took 2-5 a year for 10 years.

My buck deer count would be far higher in the whitetail column than mule deer; probably at a ratio of 5:1. I think in Montana I've taken 26 bucks, countless whitetail does, and bucks in Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Kansas, Alaska, and Minnesota. Now that I lay it out like that, I'm over 40 bucks.

As far as rare stuff, I've taken 2 mountain goats, one Dall ram, one Shiras moose, one Canada moose, one Alaska moose, and one Mountain Caribou.

I do know with exact certainty how many Rocky Mountain and Desert bighorn sheep I've taken - zero.

The crew did ask me about pronghorn bucks I've taken one day. We were driving down the road. It was in the low 30's, but I can't remember exactly. Then they asked how many bucks I had helped friends with. That was about 20 more pronghorn bucks. Then they asked me about bull elk and I think that was in the low 20's for my own. When they asked how many I had helped with, it got over 20.

I like filling my own freezer and I still get a huge thrill from hunting, yet as thrilling as that is for me, I'd prefer to spend more time helping others fill their tags. I suspect I'll have meat in my freezers, but the numbers of animal I'll take will be far less going forward than it was in the past.

Whatever the numbers are, I'm sure my better days are behind me, maybe way behind me. I've purposely eaten my last three Montana elk tags and my last four Montana deer tags; just didn't have the heart to shoot the poor dudes, especially when I had a moose in my freezer last year and a Wyoming elk in my freezer this year. Having a soft spot like that will probably keep a lot of wall space open.

I guess this long ramble also tells me I should have kept better tallies. I only kept journals of the hunts, the landscapes, the people, and the adventure/misadventures along the way.

I guess this long ramble also tells me I should have kept better tallies. I only kept journals of the hunts, the landscapes, the people, and the adventure/misadventures along the way.

Was just giving you a hard time, truly didn’t expect a response but an incredible career any way you look at it.

And it sounds like you kept track of the truly important stuff.

3 bull elk
5 mule deer bucks
30-40 whitetail bucks
Lots of whitetail does
A very large number of wild hogs
One axis buck

I haven’t shot many whitetails the last 7 or 8 years since my wife and kids got into hunting but they have been keeping our freezer full, and when the local food ran out of meat a few years ago they restocked it. I’ve probably taken a dozen people out for their first deer the last few years.

Damn, it’s a real shame I lost all those old hunting licenses in a boating accident back in some year.

My ”tally” isn’t competitive. I’ve hunted Alaska a few times, Africa a few times, couple decades in the US, mostly Texas. Filled a freezer or three. Lost a freezer due to a power outage.

Didn’t pull the trigger on a deer last year but did manage a bit of pest control with a few private conversations with some hogs. Got my brother on a deer…and got one of my best friends out for his first hunt ever and he got a respectable first deer. His daughter got to bring cooked venison to school for Native American Indian day…yeah, I’m still just plain beaming with joy at my entirely ”not right” god-daughter.

might be an old trophy in the house somewhere…got a few good tales…a few more taller tails…

9 more months and I get to spend a bit more time in the woods. Maybe I will put some venison in the freezer. Maybe not. Maybe all I really get to do is lean back, help guide someone on a critter and enjoy the Fellowship.

My numbers aren’t really noteworthy. Couple dozen in Africa. Four in Alaska. Probably three dozen in the Lower 48.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything And I’m simply happy to be a part of this campfire.

Thanks guys, just for being here.

Lots of stone cold killers on here so I'll add some numbers as well.
Elk 21 bulls 6 cows
Mule deer bucks 7
Whitetail bucks 25
Antelope bucks 7
Axis buck 1
Bears 5
Bull moose 1
Sheep ram 1
Mtn goat billy 1
Shit load of turkeys
No cats or wolves yet but I did pelt a cougar with a snowball last month after we treed it if that counts for anything.

Thirteen elk, six moose, one pronghorn, and countless deer. I stopped keeping track of them at about sixty.

Three kudu, two gemsbuck, three impala, two warthogs, two blesbuck, two black wildebeest, one blue wildebeest, four springbuck, one sable, one waterbuck, and two Cape buffalo.
What’s your count on highway 2 with your grill guard? That’s what I want to know!

What’s your count on highway 2 with your grill guard? That’s what I want to know!
I don't have a grill guard. Over the last twelve years I've hit four deer on Hwy 2 and one here locally, all with the same vehicle. So far I've only had to replace the grill and hood once and three headlight assemblies. No fender or radiator repairs ... yet. Very lucky. I hit a moose once almost thirty years ago with '87 Chev truck. Only broke the mirror ... and filled my pants.

Last edited:
I've been lucky to fill my OR buck tag every year since I was twelve (56 years old now).I shot my share of little ones, but have killed some good ones along the way also! Some years (3) I was able to grab a leftover buck tag along with two extra whitetail bucks allowed in the bag limit of my doe tags a couple years. So 49 bucks tagged in OR. Not exactly sure how many does, probably 10-15 That's what happens when you get old :).
I'll need to do a little adding and reminiscing for deer in all the other states. It will be fun to go back and add up elk, bear, turkeys, antelope etc.
I have the antlers from every buck and bull I've ever shot I believe. It will be fun to go back and try to put them all on paper. Believe it or not I can remember most of them and the stories just by seeing them!

Last edited:
I don't have a grill guard. Over the last twelve years I've hit four deer on Hwy 2 and one here locally, all with the same vehicle. So far I've only had to replace the grill and hood once and three headlight assemblies. No fender or radiator repairs ... yet. Very lucky. I hit a moose once almost thirty years ago with '87 Chev truck. Only broke the mirror ... and filled my pants.
You need to get a good grill guard and understand the MT roadkill carcass tags are unlimited. Go smashin deer!!

@BuzzH

Back