What's yer total?

First season hunting was 2012

6 elk, 5 whitetail, 8 mule deer, 4 black bears, 2 caribou, 5 pronghorn
Eastern, Merriam's, Rio Turkey ~10 total
Woodie, Mallard, Green Teal, Blue-winged teal, Gadwall, Ruddy, Wigeon, Common Goldeneye, Hood merganser, Specklebelly, Canadian goose.
Sharp-tailed, Ruffed, Dusky
Pheasant
White-tailed, Rock, Willow Ptarmigan

Would love to spend some more time hunting upland and ducks, lots of cool birds I've never gotten to lay eyes on. Would love to get a Harlequin and a King Eider and have @glass eye do the mounts if he was willing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep track to a certain extent. I have a detailed spreadsheet of the tags I apply for. If I draw a tag I fill in what I killed etc.

Ive killed 138 deer (I think). All the other numbers are a good bit lower.

Species I've killed are:
Whitetail
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Goat
Black Bear (Black, Chocolate, Cinnamon)
Alligator
Wild Hog
Nilgai
Red Stag
Canadian Moose
Mid-Asian Ibex
Aoudad
Coyote
Eastern Turkey
Lots of small game.

I should be adding 3 new species this year if all goes according to plan.

I do keep track and have been keeping journals for a long time as well. Almost embarrassing to post this but I guess I will:

Elk: 83
Deer (total, coues, whitetail, blacktail, mule deer): 128
Moose: 4
Bighorn: 2
Desert Sheep: 1
Dall Sheep:1
Black bear: 5
Pronghorn: 78
Musk ox: 1
Mountain goat: 1
Lion: 1
oryx: 1

I've also shot a lot of hogs, sika, fallow, axis, aoudad, etc. on a buddies place in Texas, didn't keep track of those.

I'm slowing down as I get older I could easily have a bunch more pronghorn, I haven't killed a doe in over dozen years. I don't shoot many deer anymore either.

Been sort of tough on the elk since moving to Wyoming though.
@BuzzH I need to meet you. Those are some solid numbers.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but here's what I could come up with:

27 whitetail bucks (approximately 1/3 with archery and the rest with shotgun)
14 whitetail does (mostly all archery)
1 antelope buck (rifle)
1 bull moose (rifle)
1 bearded hen turkey (archery)
unknown number of tom turkeys (shotgun)
probably about 20,000 pop cans when I was a kid with the .22

We never shot does growing up. The limit was 5 whitetail bucks and we always put a hurting on them. My dad has killed north of 100 and I’ve killed more than 50.

50 plus Whitetail Bucks
4 Elk
6 Pronghorn
3 Mule Deer
Every coyote that I’ve ever seen while rifle hunting. 😂

I don’t, they didn’t have such things as spreadsheets when I started hunting. They didn’t have home computers for that matter either. No idea how many animals I have shot.

2 mule deer bucks, 2 dusky grouse, 2 ducks, a snowshoe hare and a black-tailed jackrabbit. Easy to count when you don't have much success... And not counting the cottontail I killed in college with a thrown fruit.

First season hunting was 2012

6 elk, 4 whitetail, 7 mule deer, 4 black bears, 2 caribou, 5 pronghorn

Eastern, Merriam's, Rio Turkey
Woodie, Mallard, Green Teal, Blue-winged teal, Gadwall, Ruddy, Wigeon, Common Goldeneye, Hood merganser, Specklebelly, Canadian goose.
Sharp-tailed, Ruffed, Dusky
Pheasant
White-tailed, Rock, Willow Ptarmigan

Would love to spend some more time hunting upland and ducks, lots of cool birds I've never gotten to lay eyes on. Would love to get a Harlequin and a King Eider and have @glass eye do the mounts if he was willing.
You're missing the king... chukar
Also, a harlequin isn't terribly hard if you're willing to sling a shotty then commit to a bunch of fall river fishing.

You're missing the king... chukar
Also, a harlequin isn't terribly hard if you're willing to sling a shotty then commit to a bunch of fall river fishing.
Agreed.

I never ran into any in MT 🤷‍♂️, and I've mostly not been in Alaska when they were in season. Someday

The only thing I’ve tallied is all the species I’ve found with my old trusty 870. The big game list would be short and easy to come up with though.

870 list
Pigeon
Starling
Sparrow
Blackbird
Cottontail Rabbit
Red Squirrel
Gray squirrel
Fox squirrel
Pheasant
Skunk
Possum
Wood duck
Whitetail Deer
Blue wing teal
Chukar
Hungarian partridge
Ruffed grouse
Spruce grouse
Crow
Mourning dove

And I’m pretty sure I’m missing a few.

Some impressive numbers, can't imagine having the experiences some of you have had.

I went back and tried to make a list a few months ago, pretty slow start as a kid, 1st mule deer buck was my 3rd year hunting, then switched to archery and took quite a few years to get the next one. Just really trying to get serious about hunting since about 2020 so hopefully in another 10 years it will be a bit longer, quite a few species I'd like to add. Bunch of dinks and a raghorn so far.

11 mule deer: 7 rifle bucks, 3 archery bucks, 1 archery doe

3 whitetail, all rifle does

6 elk: 1 rifle bull, 4 rifle cow, 1 archery cow

1 pronghorn doe

1 Merriams turkey

Lots of grouse, snowshoe hare and cotton tail

A few chuckar, huns, doves and ducks.

11 antelope (6 bucks)
7 elk (2 bulls)
6 deer (5 bucks)
3 turkeys
1 bear

My best year waterfowl hunting I shot 50 birds, but usually I shoot much less.
Various upland species.
Lots of sparrows with the old air rifle.

I have no idea how many birds I've taken in almost sixty years of hunting. Has to be over a thousand. Used to shoot upwards of fifty geese a season but I have cut way back now that I'm an empty nester. Just a dozen honkers last year. Similarly, I don't shoot nearly as many pheasants now as formerly, mostly because there aren't as many birds. I remember one year when I left Montana early after I discovered I'd shot fifty roosters (did a tail feather tally). That's way too many but in those days there was lots of them. Since then I keep closer track. Last season only 29, including four that we didn't get (Ellie lost one and three got back up and flew off). But five daily limits which was really incredible ... including once-in-a-lifetime triple. Not long ago I went three seasons (hunting six weeks each with three dogs) without shooting a daily limit.

Varieties? Honkers, cacklers, snows, blues, just about every North American freshwater duck but harlequin and cinnamon teal. Uplands: blue, ruff, spruce, and sharptail grouse. A couple of sage hens more than forty years ago. Almost all pheasants have been shot on the Hi Line during the last fourteen seasons. Only shot a handful in the Flathead when I was growing up. No turkeys, ptarmigan, chukars, speckles, swans or cranes. Not yet anyway. I've been told the latter are finally legal to hunt here. If correct, I'll probably shoot a couple this year. Lots around. I usually see plenty of guinea fowl in Africa but they are dogfood. Not wasting a shell just to say I shot one. We did run into quite a bunch of francolin grouse when hunting Barbary sheep but no shotgun. There was a herd of dagga boy bull buffs hanging at that waterhole so probably no shooting even if we'd had a scattergun. We weren't prepared for dangerous game.

Last edited:
Who keeps a solid track of how many and what type of animals they have shot? I'm sure lots of people have a decent number in their head. But who actually has a tally of the actual true number?

I've been doing that since I started hunting. I have a spreadsheet I keep my application planning in and I keep a tab of successful hunt tracking. Anybody else? What's your total? How many per year? Anybody track their bullet ratio per kill?

I'm a pretty new hunter so my totals aren't exactly impressive. But I will say, I've never had a dry year since i started.

View attachment 261484

Yes my cow from a week ago took 4 shots. She just wasn't acting hit, so i just kept shooting her 🤷‍♂️

I had a stupid impatient rodeo with my buck from 2021. Dumb yardage mistake on my pronghorn buck. Other than that it's been good shooting.

Let's see those spreadsheets!

Austin Powers Movie GIF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back